Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Old 03-12-2015, 01:37 PM   #1
sbear

Do you need an upgraded exhaust to maximize FI benefits?

Hi guys, pretty newbie here so please bear with me if I ask stupid questions...

From what I've been able to find, the narrowest point in the LFX exhaust system is 2.25". I know there's a couple of 2.5" cat-back exhausts available so would switching from 2.25" to 2.5" be beneficial when you go FI on the LFX? Or would it not make a difference at all.
Old 03-12-2015, 03:29 PM   #2
JantzenOKC

Drives: '13 2LT/RS Twin Turbo
I still have 2.25" between my xpipe and muffler delete. I plan on replacing it with 2.5" just haven't yet. I've heard it makes a difference on a turbo car (don't know how much). Not sure about a supercharged v6, definitely couldn't hurt though.
JantzenOKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 05:52 PM   #3
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
Depends on what kind of FI you use. If you go IPF supercharger, then yes, stick with 2.5". If you go turbo some way, then it depends on what your power goals are and where the compressor's efficiency is... If it fits the bill, you could use a 3" exhaust with a twin turbo set up.

Regardless, is it necessary, no, but more exhaust flow with FI is almost always better.
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 11:43 PM   #4
Black Knight

Drives: Supercharged LLT
Car pulled alot better when I switched from stock to solo (2.5) I also got my cats gutted at the same time
Old 03-18-2015, 08:53 PM   #5
DSX_Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post
Car pulled alot better when I switched from stock to solo (2.5) I also got my cats gutted at the same time
Big thing is having no cats with a supercharger. With the IPF super you probably gained little to nothing with the exhaust honestly, except perhaps at the top end.
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
Old 03-19-2015, 08:22 AM   #6
sbear

Wouldn't you run into emissions problems by doing that. I'm in Canada, we have quite strict emission standards. Granted, they don't test your car until it's at least 5 years old, maybe I can enjoy a supercharger & cat delete for 4 years
Old 03-23-2015, 04:17 PM   #7
djrasras

Drives: 2010 2LT Bumblebee
Recently I added Stainless Works Headers to the exhaust and deleted cats, and I noticed a tiny bit more power with my IPF setup (could honestly have been placebo). Now I have cats back on to prepare for emissions, and I don't feel any loss of power. So in the end I feel like anything you do with the exhaust, in my case, is pretty negligible in terms of supercharger performance.
AirLift Air Suspension, Stainless Works Long Tube Headers + Hi-Flo Cats, Resonated X-Pipe, MRT V2 Mufflers, VMAX Ice-olator and Ported Throttle Body, Barton Short Throw Shifter, CAI Intake + Air Scoop
djrasras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 08:53 AM   #8
DSX_Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by djrasras View Post
Recently I added Stainless Works Headers to the exhaust and deleted cats, and I noticed a tiny bit more power with my IPF setup (could honestly have been placebo). Now I have cats back on to prepare for emissions, and I don't feel any loss of power. So in the end I feel like anything you do with the exhaust, in my case, is pretty negligible in terms of supercharger performance.
The cats don't sap power. It's when they melt that the issue arises. Though, if you get headers with the IPF super you should really get a retune, especially if you have no cats usually.
Old 03-24-2015, 12:51 PM   #9
djrasras

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSX_Camaro View Post
The cats don't sap power. It's when they melt that the issue arises. Though, if you get headers with the IPF super you should really get a retune, especially if you have no cats usually.

I only didn't have cats for a couple months after I got the headers. But if I wanted a retune, do I contact IPF?
AirLift Air Suspension, Stainless Works Long Tube Headers + Hi-Flo Cats, Resonated X-Pipe, MRT V2 Mufflers, VMAX Ice-olator and Ported Throttle Body, Barton Short Throw Shifter, CAI Intake + Air Scoop
Old 03-25-2015, 02:15 AM   #10
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbear View Post
Wouldn't you run into emissions problems by doing that. I'm in Canada, we have quite strict emission standards. Granted, they don't test your car until it's at least 5 years old, maybe I can enjoy a supercharger & cat delete for 4 years
think I'm up for one of those this year
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
CAMARO Bringing excitment back into the Garage
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 10:15 AM   #11
DSX_Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by djrasras View Post
I only didn't have cats for a couple months after I got the headers. But if I wanted a retune, do I contact IPF?
Yes, you should be able to tell them what you've done and they should just retune it, if I understand correctly.
Old 03-27-2015, 10:27 AM   #12
djrasras

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSX_Camaro View Post
Yes, you should be able to tell them what you've done and they should just retune it, if I understand correctly.

Alright thanks. And guys I take back what I said about headers barely adding power. Since I got the headers at the beginning of winter it's been pretty snowy and after some hydrolock issues I got recently I haven't been really putting the pedal down much. But yesterday was nice and sunny and I got some good pulls on the highway, and there is definitely a noticeable inprovement on high end torque. I recommend anyone with an IPF setup to invest in long tube headers:
Old 04-17-2015, 12:57 PM   #13
sbear

So a follow-up question to this would be. Who makes 3" catbacks for the LFX? Biggest thing I can find is 2.5" like from Corsa.
Old 04-17-2015, 05:24 PM   #14
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
I think the cat-back systems for the ZL1 are 3"- like this quad tip example from Magnaflow http://www.hottexhaust.com/Magnaflow_15053

But it's gonna cost ya!
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote