Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-11-2014, 02:01 PM   #1
Blue Magic

Drives: 2010 IBM 1SS/RS
A/C Clutch

Has an ever noticed that tbe clutch on the compressor kicks off and on? I've owned several vehicles and never experienced that before. I took the car to the dealer and was told it was normal. It's a preventive measure to keep the compressor from freezing up. B/S or true?
TSP 1 7/8" Headers, Cat Delete / Flowtech Mufflers, Vmax CNC Ported TB, SLP UD Pulley 25%, Elite Catch Can, Vararam CAI, Vararam Power Wedge, Taylor 49 Race Wires, Mishimoto Silicone Hoses, B&M Transmission Pan,
Tampa Tuning Tweaked & Tweaked again
Blue Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 02:14 PM   #2
Squillo

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS BRM LS3
It only runs when the demand is there to cool something. Just like any other A/C unit.
Squillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 02:25 PM   #3
RobertRS

Drives: 2014 2SS L99
It will also cycle on and off when at idle or creeping speeds to prevent high side pressures from damaging compressor. It also cycles on/off at highway speeds depending on thermostat setting but not as often as it will at low speed and high ambient temps. All later model a/c compressors cycle like this. However if it cycles excessively and cabin temps won't cool down, it could be due to low charge and kicking out on low pressure switch.
RobertRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 02:41 PM   #4
Criticalmass

Drives: 2014 Ford Mustang GT Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Magic View Post
Has an ever noticed that tbe clutch on the compressor kicks off and on? I've owned several vehicles and never experienced that before. I took the car to the dealer and was told it was normal. It's a preventive measure to keep the compressor from freezing up. B/S or true?
True.
Criticalmass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 02:41 PM   #5
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
You just haven't been paying attention. Every AC I've had in the past 20 years (maybe longer) has done that. It's normal.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 02:41 PM   #6
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
Mine does it too, and all my other cars do this. It's kind of alarming when you first notice it cycling on and off. Within the course of a minute it can go on and off many times.

But, they must be designed well enough to take that kind of wear on the compressor clutch and other pieces. Our highest mileage vehicle (109k) is still on its original charge and equipment from the factory, the AC is still ice cold, and the compressor has always cycled on/off.
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 02:56 PM   #7
Blue Magic

Drives: 2010 IBM 1SS/RS
Thanks for all the input. Maybe I just never noticed it before in all my other cars.
TSP 1 7/8" Headers, Cat Delete / Flowtech Mufflers, Vmax CNC Ported TB, SLP UD Pulley 25%, Elite Catch Can, Vararam CAI, Vararam Power Wedge, Taylor 49 Race Wires, Mishimoto Silicone Hoses, B&M Transmission Pan,
Tampa Tuning Tweaked & Tweaked again
Blue Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 05:54 PM   #8
SatSky08

Drives: '08 Saturn Sky, '14 2LT Convertible
My '94 GMC was built the year they switched over to R134a refrigerant. I bought it in November that year (and still have it!), so it wasn't until the first warm weather the next year that I noticed this. It would cycle on and off every six seconds at highway speeds. Seemed weird at the time, but it's normal.

Last edited by SatSky08; 07-11-2014 at 09:56 PM.
SatSky08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 07:16 PM   #9
RJT Impala
Stovebolt BluFlame 6

Drives: '12 2LT/RS, IBM; '20 Traverse Prem
Back in the first gas crisis (1973) Sears, JC Whitney and several other companies marketed a device that would interrupt power to the AC clutch when vacuum dropped due to wide open throttle. It reduced load on the engine and theoretically improved gas mileage. Hot rodders quickly realized that it would also enable disengaging AC for greater performance. They were marketed until mid-to-late '80s. Point: AC compressors have had clutches for a long, long time!
RJT Impala is offline   Reply With Quote