Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 07-12-2014, 04:30 AM   #43
DOOK
Wearing My BowTie

Drives: 2SS~RS VR~Black Ralley's
So what kind of mileage can I expect from this gear change?
Currently, I am getting about 21.8 mpg combined.
Old 08-14-2014, 09:35 PM   #44
robbiegordon
Robert

Drives: 2011 Summit White SS LS3
does anyone know the specification or if there is a spec for rotational torque measured at the pinon with side bearing pre-load after the side bearing caps are re-installed/torqued down to spec? thanks!
robbiegordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 12:58 PM   #45
camaro-heater
22 years of slammin gears

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiegordon View Post
does anyone know the specification or if there is a spec for rotational torque measured at the pinon with side bearing pre-load after the side bearing caps are re-installed/torqued down to spec? thanks!
Call JRE and tell them you want to talk to the rear end guy. Very helpful!
Engine/Performance> Magnuson TVS2300 @ 8lbs-Hennessey CAI-SLP 1 3/4" longtube headers w/ HF cats X pipe SLP Powerflow muffler-QTP dual oval electric cutouts-ZL1 fuel pump-RX catch can-ADM race air scoop,WW relocate-Hurst short throw shifter-
Tuned by: Boost Performance 550rwhp/538tq.
Drivetrain> DSS 3.5" aluminum ds-Street Slayer Twin Carbon-IdealG master cylinder-Tick ss clutch line&speed bleeder-GFORCE 1500 Outlaw axles-JRE rear end pkg(LPE 3.70's,true trac,billet main caps)-LPW rear cover-Nitto NT05's. Suspension> Minor stuff/bushings
camaro-heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 01:14 PM   #46
robbiegordon
Robert

Drives: 2011 Summit White SS LS3
thanks, i ended up just setting the torque the same way that was shown in this thread any how. worked out fine.
i will say on mine it was a huge process getting the pinon pressed in and out and in took a lot more than just a little hammer. i had to use a hydrualic press to do it. but the freezer/bbq worked really well. the ring gear and the pinon bearing basically just fell together under their own weight. took me about a day and a half taking my time. i would not say this job was easy. haha, but its definitly doable . i dont really see why so many people are so afraid to do this themselves. this was my first time doing gears and im glad i did. all i used was this thread, a chilton guide and a little youtube .

My speedo was off i think around 5-6 mph but it didnt throw any stabilitrac codes or anything, i used a hypertech speedo calibrator to recalibrate. although it doesnt have 3.91:1 so i set it to 4.10 and messed around with the tire size a little to get the last 2-3 mph difference.

thank you for posting this for all of us it would of been a lot more guess work with out it for sure. i cant tell you how many threads i found on diy gear swaps that said dont even attempt to diy. anyways, good luck to any one else out there attempting this. my advice is be patient and make sure you have all the right tools, check and re check everything. Thanks again!

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/album.php?albumid=16105

Last edited by robbiegordon; 08-17-2014 at 01:33 PM. Reason: update
robbiegordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 09:48 PM   #47
Shawno72

Drives: 2015 Black 2LT RS M6
Great write up!
Overkill tune/E85/80mm•CAI cold air intake w/my custom maf tube•Apex air scoop•JacFab ported intake/Extendolater•Vitesse•EE EX2 catch can•Innovate wideband•ARH HFC's•NPP exhaust•11386 xpipe•Brembos/cross drilled/slotted rotors•SS M/C•Pfadt 1.25 springs•1LE struts/sways/strut tower brace•BMR diff bush, trail arms/bush, adj toe links•My custom Tunnel brace•Hurst short throw shifter•JDP stage 1 clutch res•1LE steering wheel, shift boot•ZL1 rear diffuser/splash guards•GM splitter•Z/28 grille/flowtie/spoiler/wheels•GM performance pedals•"Chevrolet" door sills•10" Kicker sub•BigWorm overlays
Shawno72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 10:15 AM   #48
derek1387

Drives: 2015 1LS Red V6
Yeah...now to decide if i want to attempt this on my own or not.
JacFab Machining
APDEG
Dream Gear Mobile Audio

Thanks to Will @ Overkill Motorsports, Jason @ JacFab, Jim @ Ohio Speed, Brandon at Dream Gear, and the boys at Randy Curnow Chevrolet

5th Gen V6 Performance Facebook Group
derek1387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 10:29 AM   #49
ActNup NY

Drives: 2011 1LT Black Camaro
Paying attention
Old 04-13-2016, 06:03 AM   #50
derek1387

Drives: 2015 1LS Red V6
This How To has inspired me.

Have a 1LE diff incoming, and my 3.27 diff sold, and sub frame bushing and diff bushings on the way. Should be a fun weekend and quite the transformation for my little 6!
JacFab Machining
APDEG
Dream Gear Mobile Audio

Thanks to Will @ Overkill Motorsports, Jason @ JacFab, Jim @ Ohio Speed, Brandon at Dream Gear, and the boys at Randy Curnow Chevrolet

5th Gen V6 Performance Facebook Group
derek1387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 06:52 AM   #51
Shawno72

Drives: 2015 Black 2LT RS M6
Good luck my man
Overkill tune/E85/80mm•CAI cold air intake w/my custom maf tube•Apex air scoop•JacFab ported intake/Extendolater•Vitesse•EE EX2 catch can•Innovate wideband•ARH HFC's•NPP exhaust•11386 xpipe•Brembos/cross drilled/slotted rotors•SS M/C•Pfadt 1.25 springs•1LE struts/sways/strut tower brace•BMR diff bush, trail arms/bush, adj toe links•My custom Tunnel brace•Hurst short throw shifter•JDP stage 1 clutch res•1LE steering wheel, shift boot•ZL1 rear diffuser/splash guards•GM splitter•Z/28 grille/flowtie/spoiler/wheels•GM performance pedals•"Chevrolet" door sills•10" Kicker sub•BigWorm overlays
Shawno72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 12:04 PM   #52
Redbeard 11

Drives: 2011 1SS LS3/ SC
Smile HATS OFF TO THE DIY GUYS

Just wanted to thank the guys who take the time to write up these DIYS. I am in the middle of a 3.91 gear swap and and somebody in their thread explained how to remove the pumpkin from the passenger side leaving the driverside bolted up. THANKS to u especially cause that worked and saved a ton of work! I hope we continue to post as we can so that we may be a help to others down the road. THANKS CAMARO 5 members
2011 1SS LS3/ Eforce 3.25,FC#72,JRE fuel rail mod,V-max PTB.,alky meth, CAI intake, BTR Stage3 cam supp.mods,melling O.P. etc. MSD wires,SW headers and exhaust, fidanza alum.flywheel and ceramic clutch, tick speed bleeder,DSS 1pc. alum.ds., ZL1 3.73 cradle, slotted rotors w/ceramic pads,20" Z28 replicas 650RWHP/635RWTQ
Redbeard 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 08:41 AM   #53
blakjak55
drinks virgil's

Drives: 2010 2SS M6
Yup, that was a huge timesaver for me as well during my swap.

I was a little concerned yanking the carrier out without a case spreader as well but with some rags and a prybar and she popped right out.