Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 06-08-2012, 07:28 PM   #141
frcdfed

Drives: 04 GTO
Few comments as I have always had auto cars (4l60E's << is the biggest piece of garbage ever made and TH400s) and a majority of my friends sticks.

Its better to be quicker then it is to be fast (its first one over the finish line, not who has a higher MPH) And you can auto X an auto, just dont hot lap it!

You can wave your 6M dyno graph all over the place, but timeslips trump all.

I dont walk with a limp after sitting in 2 hours of traffic or complaining about being soar

Auto cars will always be faster mod for mod with a proper stall and tune, clutch and fly wheel upgrades dont make you faster.

This new trans should be able to carry the car well into the 750+ WHP range without a problem, let me know how the clutches hold up at that power and 4200#'s, not long.

You never have to make the excuse "I missed a shift, lets do it over" after a race.

A tuned auto will never miss a shift and shift faster then 99.999% of all 6M drivers
frcdfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:05 PM   #142
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnighter View Post
I would still prefer manual even if it's slower.
Easy fix , just leave earlier to get there in time .
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:07 PM   #143
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpepka View Post
If you just want power get a 1SS Manuel, put a Maggie on it and save your self $25,000. The ZL1 is the whole package. I want a smoother ride!
Who the heck is MANUEL , it seams a very popular guy around here ?
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:43 PM   #144
rpepka

Drives: 2013 ZL1 # 2195
Quote:
Originally Posted by frcdfed View Post
Few comments as I have always had auto cars (4l60E's << is the biggest piece of garbage ever made and TH400s) and a majority of my friends sticks.

Its better to be quicker then it is to be fast (its first one over the finish line, not who has a higher MPH) And you can auto X an auto, just dont hot lap it!

You can wave your 6M dyno graph all over the place, but timeslips trump all.

I dont walk with a limp after sitting in 2 hours of traffic or complaining about being soar

Auto cars will always be faster mod for mod with a proper stall and tune, clutch and fly wheel upgrades dont make you faster.

This new trans should be able to carry the car well into the 750+ WHP range without a problem, let me know how the clutches hold up at that power and 4200#'s, not long.

You never have to make the excuse "I missed a shift, lets do it over" after a race.

A tuned auto will never miss a shift and shift faster then 99.999% of all 6M drivers
rpepka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 10:11 PM   #145
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcePick06 View Post
Manual transmission cars are a dying breed and this is precisely why I bought my ZL1 with a manual. Even the rival GT500 comes with a manual; there is just something great about a high performance high horsepower sports car and rowing your own gears...I don't hate on cars with automatics (i.e. GTR) but I prefer the manual for many reasons on this ZL1 car.

Plus manul transmission cars usually end up being able to take more horsepower so I like that option too
Another reason Ford doesn't offer an auto in the GT500 is I don't think they have one than can handle the torque.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 10:49 PM   #146
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
has anybody figured out why the auto ZL1's seem to be slower than the auto CTS-V's? I though this tranny was supposed to be better.

the best time I have read to date is 12.3 and there was that vid of a 12.02 with a manual.

manual vs auto will always be debated. I will always prefer a manual for a car that I want to drive in the corners. A properly setup auto is rad at the drag strip though.

this argument is just like ford vs chevy there will always be too sides of it there is no winning the argument.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 10:50 PM   #147
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerouSS View Post
Another reason Ford doesn't offer an auto in the GT500 is I don't think they have one than can handle the torque.
Well they have to have one since the diesels make more torque ha ha. might be tad heavy though.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 11:31 PM   #148
Nessal

Drives: Exige, Miata, Ghia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tally Ho View Post
This discussion runs rampant on the Corvette Forum as well. For me the answer for an auto is I plan to use this car as a DD. My commute to work has 12 traffic lights and 5 stop signs all within a 9 mile one way trip. The max speed limit on this commute is 45mph. It doesn't make sense to row through gears when I don't have to.

All other uses will be mostly interstate and there's not much of a reason to shift there unless you're constantly exiting and re-entering. I have no plans to autocross or drag race this car.

My Vette is an auto for the reasons above and with 540rwhp, I'm OK with it.

IMO it's a personal preference. My commute is worse than yours because I sit in stop and go traffic. But rowing gears for some people is part of the enjoyment of owning this car. Preference.
Nessal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 12:29 AM   #149
frcdfed

Drives: 04 GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by hognutz View Post
has anybody figured out why the auto ZL1's seem to be slower than the auto CTS-V's? I though this tranny was supposed to be better.

the best time I have read to date is 12.3 and there was that vid of a 12.02 with a manual.

manual vs auto will always be debated. I will always prefer a manual for a car that I want to drive in the corners. A properly setup auto is rad at the drag strip though.

this argument is just like ford vs chevy there will always be too sides of it there is no winning the argument.
Prolly cause of the tuning, factory tunes on autos are usually shitty to make sure nothing goes wrong with the trans and it lasts. I would say on any of the auto cars throw a full tune on it and have someone that can drive and they will easily drop half a second in the quarter.

I really have no doubts that a tune, DRs, CAI, upper pulley swap and a nice 3200 stall and the autos will be knocking on the door of a 10s run.
frcdfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 11:14 AM   #150
joes407

Drives: 2014 ZL1m6 red hot #569
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnighter View Post
I would still prefer manual even if it's slower.
+1 to that! i dont like the look of the console with the auto plus it gives me too much time to not pay attention. havent had to worry bout being slower as ive yet to have another Zl-1 next to me. this thing launches pretty damn good i must say. the toughest part for me is to not let off the gas while shifting in performance mode. goes against what my brain has learned about manuals in the past
joes407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 12:30 PM   #151
RockyS18

Drives: .
Manuals are more fun to drive and you look like a boss when driving them. Driving a manual is a purer experience in the sense that you have more control over the car than with an automatic where it does the shifting for you. You have to know if and when to shift.

This can be compared to driving a car without any stability or traction control because it is just between you and the car.
RockyS18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 02:14 PM   #152
Tally Ho

Drives: 2006 Corvette conv/2007 Avalanche
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessal View Post
IMO it's a personal preference. My commute is worse than yours because I sit in stop and go traffic. But rowing gears for some people is part of the enjoyment of owning this car. Preference.
No argument from me on this. I just get annoyed at some of the "holier than thou" attitudes towards those that would rather have an auto in a performance car.

I have driven just about every type of shift car made from a "three on the tree" 72 Dodge truck, 4 speed 69 VW bug that I took my driver's license test with, 5 speeds in my only Japanese cars owned (79 Challenger/92 Talon TSi), a gated shifter in an 86 Ferrari 328GTS (there's a challenge), F1 shift in an 08 Ferrari F430 (awesome trans), BMW's SMG trans in an M6, numerous 6 speeds in Corvettes to include gen 5 and gen 6 Z06's, and most recently a 6 speed in a Challenger SRT8 (butter smooth by the way).

It's not like I don't know how to drive a shift, at my age it's my preference not to and for that I thank GM and Chevrolet for providing the option for both sides.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:03 PM   #153
ramingti20

Drives: fast car
I've always owned manual cars and still have a couple. The ZL1 however is manual, and honestly I cant complain at all. The tap-shift is actually quite precise and fun after a few weeks of driving. The car was ordered for my cousin who lives in London, which was the main reason for the automatic opposed to the manual. My only complaint is if you are tracking the car and you are turning the wheel...there is no way to change gears as the paddles are attached to the steering wheel like the 2SS. Other than that, manual would be more fun for this car...but the usability of the auto for the city is fantastic and I think its brilliant for an autobox.
ramingti20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 02:36 PM   #154
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
It's all personal preference; however, I know when I walk up to a modern muscle car, modern sports car or vintage muscle car and see an automatic...I hear "Wuuuhhh Wuuuuuuhhhhhh" in my head!!! Me, personally, I enjoy driving on country roads and grabbing gears in the twisties. I can't see just throwing the thing in DRIVE and pushing on the gas pedal. To each his own.

Last edited by DRKS1D3; 06-11-2012 at 02:52 PM.
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote