Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 04-22-2014, 11:12 AM   #1
White14SS

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
clutch and transmission questions

This seems to be a pretty popular topic. So I bought a new 2014 camaro ss 6 speed manual, and shortly after I bought it I've been having some concern the shifter in neutral or gear is a little shaky and in neutral with the clutch engaged the clutch is kind of noisy then when you disengage it's silent. So after reading through some threads I guess I can dub that as normal. I'm also getting noise in first second and third at any rpm as long as I'm on the throttle but when I let off it stops. Also it seems excessively noisy while reversing into my driveway with the clutch partially engaged and makes like a shuddering shaky noise. I took it to the dealership and they said all of this stuff is normal with the manual v8 camaros and printed me out some gm papers also saying this is normal with these cars. Any input would be appreciated.
White14SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 12:05 PM   #2
TornadoSS
WICKDSS

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS IOM LS3
Completely normal. The stock drivetrain is noisy in these cars. The shuddering noise you hear in reverse is the 2 piece driveshaft. Upgrading the drivetrain later will eliminate most all of these noises.
TornadoSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 12:34 PM   #3
White14SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoSS View Post
Completely normal. The stock drivetrain is noisy in these cars. The shuddering noise you hear in reverse is the 2 piece driveshaft. Upgrading the drivetrain later will eliminate most all of these noises.
Thanks that makes me feel better by drivetain do you mean just a clutch and flywheel, tob stuff like that. Would you recommend changing out dif, transmission or clutch fluid to a better quality brand or just leave it alone. I've heard that can quiet it down a bit.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:12 PM   #4
TornadoSS
WICKDSS

Depends what plans you have for the car. I currently only have the stock trans in there lol. Everything else is aftermarket. Gforce IRS kit, McLeod RXT clutch. Makes the clunkiness disappear but you gain other noises. But its strong! If you are concerned about warranty I would leave it alone and just drive it for awhile. A lot of us had hard shifting issues, like grinding. Redline D4 fixed most of those issues for me.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:57 PM   #5
White14SS

Quote:
Depends what plans you have for the car. I currently only have the stock trans in there lol. Everything else is aftermarket. Gforce IRS kit, McLeod RXT clutch. Makes the clunkiness disappear but you gain other noises. But its strong! If you are concerned about warranty I would leave it alone and just drive it for awhile. A lot of us had hard shifting issues, like grinding. Redline D4 fixed most of those issues for me.
I hear you, it shifts smooth and no grinding just noisy sometimes. I just don't think I should hear the noise that I am while cruising mainly in first second third at any rpm but when I let off the gas it stops. They are going to put on a new catalytic converter section of the exhaust on the passenger side they said there's noise coming from it maybe that's the cruising noise I'm getting cause it only does it on throttle. So the redline d4 is the clutch fluid right what are you using for dif and transmission? Also what's an irs kit? I'm coming from an 08 cobalt ss turbo and it was silent since new but I know the tr6060 is a lot more heavy duty than the f35.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:47 PM   #6
TornadoSS
WICKDSS

The Redline D4 is the trans fluid, these trans take atf. The clutch fluid is just regular dot 3 or upgrade to dot 4. The IRS is the independent rear suspension. I upgraded mine to a Gforce 9" differential, outlaw axles and 1 piece driveshaft. Much heavier duty for drag racing.
Old 04-22-2014, 05:30 PM   #7
White14SS

Quote:
The Redline D4 is the trans fluid, these trans take atf. The clutch fluid is just regular dot 3 or upgrade to dot 4. The IRS is the independent rear suspension. I upgraded mine to a Gforce 9" differential, outlaw axles and 1 piece driveshaft. Much heavier duty for drag racing.
Right on, thanks for the help.
Old 04-24-2014, 05:33 AM   #8
a7m1

Drives: Camaro SS M6
try this !
accelerate to 5-10 mph in 1st gear, let of the gas then instantly push on the clutch very fast
what do you get?
a7m1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 05:38 AM   #9
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Quote:
Originally Posted by a7m1 View Post
try this !
accelerate to 5-10 mph in 1st gear, let of the gas then instantly push on the clutch very fast
what do you get?
A big clunk, that is what they all do. 2 piece drive shaft creates allot of slop in the drivetrain.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:20 AM   #10
a7m1

Drives: Camaro SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post
A big clunk, that is what they all do. 2 piece drive shaft creates allot of slop in the drivetrain.
Great, Mine creates Big Scary Violdent Loud clunk that everyone inside outside the car can hear it with ac, radio, windows up

so i call it normal right?
a7m1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 03:17 PM   #11
ackeight

Drives: 10' 2SS/RS
Yup. I'd love to get a one piece slapped on and feel a little more "connected".
Old 05-08-2014, 09:47 AM   #12
Bobscamaro2ss

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by White14SS View Post
Thanks that makes me feel better by drivetain do you mean just a clutch and flywheel, tob stuff like that. Would you recommend changing out dif, transmission or clutch fluid to a better quality brand or just leave it alone. I've heard that can quiet it down a bit.
Bought a 2014 2SS/RS 6Speed, NOISIEST, CLUNKIEST, BANGING, SLOPPIEST DRIVE-LINE I've ever owned. Completely normal; according to Chevy.
Get used to it. Listen to the pipes, turn up the stereo, and watch the gauges!
Bobscamaro2ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 11:34 AM   #13
Steve@SNL/Monster Clutch
Account Suspended

Drives: 2014 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by a7m1 View Post
try this !
what do you get?
The stock clutch has little dampening springs inside the hub pack as well, shake a stock disc violently and listen to the noise it makes. I recommend not driving like that to avoid that characteristic of it, a good driver can adjust as not every car is going to drive exactly the same depending on many things ie the tune or how it responds to load/throttle pedal input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobscamaro2ss View Post
Bought a 2014 2SS/RS 6Speed, NOISIEST, CLUNKIEST, BANGING, SLOPPIEST DRIVE-LINE I've ever owned. Completely normal; according to Chevy.
Get used to it. Listen to the pipes, turn up the stereo, and watch the gauges!
Curious what you are comparing it to as I've driven many of manual transmission vehicles and your statement seems to be pretty harsh from my experiences.
Steve@SNL/Monster Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 03:17 PM   #14
Bo White

Drives: 2015 Summit White 2SS 1LE
^^^^^I agree. When mine makes noises doing certain things I don't do those certain things anymore lol.
2010 1SS Wilkes Performance/Eagle 416 shortblock, TSP custom valvetrain, PRC 260 heads, Edelbrock Pro Flo 102, th400 swap, 8" PTC 5500 stall= 535/435 at the wheels tuned Gen 3 Performance and Dyno 10.97 @ 124 full weight in 3100 DA CamaroFest X
Bo White is offline   Reply With Quote