Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-09-2009, 04:04 PM   #1
themossman
Apprehensive Optimist

Drives: '10 SS/RS SIM
LMR CAI Fit and Finish Review

After plenty of internet jockey research...and some solid counseling from Vengeance, I thought I knew exactly what I wanted. I had decided on the Vararam after ruling out the 'hydro lock' fears because I could not find any substantial evidence of anyone having issues.

Anyway...Vengeance had my car complete several weeks ago and we were waiting for the Vararam piece, but when they said end of August...I decided I needed my car back. So LMR it was...

I had quite a few things done to the car, so I can say what the performance difference was by adding the LMR CAI, but that's not what this review is about. It's about the quality of the piece and my opinions about how it fits (or doesn't fit) in the car. The piece is installed correctly and I've tried 'adjusting', but...it's a design/build issue...not an installation issue.

I think the stock location of the airbox is HORRIBLE..there's zero air getting into the stock airbox and the CAIs that put the filter in the same location are going to run into the same issue. In these pictures you'll see I removed the windshield washer fluid reservoir in attempt to get more air into the cavity, but I haven't noticed much difference.

In picture one, arrow 1...your looking 'inside the airbox and at the strut tower. Arrow 1 shows the measurable gap between the tower and the shield. Arrow 2 shows some bizarre upward curve in the shield...you see a better shot of this from the other side in the next picture.

Picture three shows the 'outside' of airbox looking from rear of car to front. Arrow 1 shows the same strut tower lack of fitment. Arrow 2 shows the mounting bracket.

Picture 4...more of the same...arrow 3 shows where the crappy fit has rubbed paint off the strut tower brace.

Picture 5 shows the inside corner of the shield to show that it fits 'perfectly' on the bottom (ruling out improper installation).

Picture 6 shows the where the washer fluid reservoir used to be...note that there is no positive airflow into this airflow, so the intake is going to pull air from the shield gaps (hot air) just as easily at it will pull air from below.

Picture 7 shows the entire piece...notice the bizarre curve on edge 1...

I'd be interested to see other LMR installs to see if I got a 'bad' shield. There's simply no excuse for this type of fit.

As far as getting air into the cavity...to remove the reservoir, I had to pull the liner out of the front, drivers wheel. There's a shield on the lower grill that's preventing any air from getting into this area, but I believe that shield attempts to direct air into the radiator. If I were to keep a CAI in this area I would certainly look for ways to get a some fresh air into that area.
Attached Images

Engine:Phase One-(All work by Vengeance Racing): Custom Cam, AR Headers, ported throttle body, ported intake, custom tune, dual valve springs, hardened push rods, under drive pulley, thermostat, Vararam CAI, C5R timing chain, Melling oil pump catch can, breather, MagnaFlow Sport Axle Back
Suspension: Pfadt Sport Sway Bars, Pfadt drop springs
Other: MGW Shifter, Custom Paint
my build journal ---->http://camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30057
themossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 07:04 PM   #2
camarossrs2150

Drives: abm2ssrs
DID YOU ALL THE COMPANY AND ASK THEM ABOUT THIS .IM LOOKING TO BUY THIS PRODUCT ALSO BUT NOT TILL THEY FIX THIS PROBLEM THANKS FOR THE INFO I WILL WAIT TO SEE HOW THEY RESPOND TO THIS POST
Old 08-09-2009, 10:46 PM   #3
Nine Ball

Drives: 1969 & 2016 Camaro SS
That box is a heat shield, it isn't meant to be air-tight and sealed. It just protects from heat radiating from the engine, so it seems you are being a little picky about gaps. These cold air kits do not "pull air" like some vacuum sucking in, the air speed going in is actually quite slow. They make power by smoothing the airflow once inside the tube, helping to increase flow velocity. Keep in mind that a moving vehicle will typically supply the engine bay with fresh air anyways, it always circulates.
Old 08-09-2009, 11:03 PM   #4
themossman
Apprehensive Optimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine Ball View Post
That box is a heat shield, it isn't meant to be air-tight and sealed. It just protects from heat radiating from the engine, so it seems you are being a little picky about gaps. These cold air kits do not "pull air" like some vacuum sucking in, the air speed going in is actually quite slow. They make power by smoothing the airflow once inside the tube, helping to increase flow velocity. Keep in mind that a moving vehicle will typically supply the engine bay with fresh air anyways, it always circulates.
Thanks for the opinions. How does yours fit?

I understand that it's shouldn't be an 'airtight' fit. But, it should not mar the paint nor fit poorly. Clearly this does both.

Additionally, regarding the moving vehicle supplying 'fresh air'...not my comments regarding the air flow into the area. I had this all apart yesterday and was bit surprised. You should do the same.
Engine:Phase One-(All work by Vengeance Racing): Custom Cam, AR Headers, ported throttle body, ported intake, custom tune, dual valve springs, hardened push rods, under drive pulley, thermostat, Vararam CAI, C5R timing chain, Melling oil pump catch can, breather, MagnaFlow Sport Axle Back
Old 08-09-2009, 11:30 PM   #5
White Devil

Drives: Summit White 1SS Soon
Quote:
I think the stock location of the airbox is HORRIBLE..there's zero air getting into the stock airbox and the CAIs that put the filter in the same location are going to run into the same issue.
Yet with "no" airflow it makes over 420HP... there must be air getting there somehow!

strange...
White Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 11:36 PM   #6
themossman
Apprehensive Optimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Devil View Post
Yet with "no" airflow it makes over 420HP... there must be air getting there somehow!

strange...
There's obviously air getting in there...but not of it's own free will.
Old 08-09-2009, 11:40 PM   #7
White Devil

Drives: Summit White 1SS Soon
From the times I've looked around the bay I don't see a better spot to put an airfilter besides maybe routing it downwards for an actual CAI... but those run into other problems...

I like the LMR. It will probably be the one I pick up. I would like to see that shield fit a touch better though, I do agree with that. It's actually scratching your paint? Anyway to stick some rubber on the undersides that are scratching?
White Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 11:44 PM   #8
themossman
Apprehensive Optimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Devil View Post
From the times I've looked around the bay I don't see a better spot to put an airfilter besides maybe routing it downwards for an actual CAI... but those run into other problems...

I like the LMR. It will probably be the one I pick up. I would like to see that shield fit a touch better though, I do agree with that. It's actually scratching your paint? Anyway to stick some rubber on the undersides that are scratching?
The 'rubbed' paint (worse than just a scratch) is what sent me on my tirade. You could put some weather stripping along the bottom...or cut the edge a little better to fit. I'm just waiting for Vararam. If you want the LMR, PM me and I'll give you a hell of a discount one that's 'slightly used'.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:14 AM   #9
soonerfanru2

Drives: 2ss
How much for it

How much for it shipped to Oklahoma I am interested if the price is right?
soonerfanru2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 12:19 AM   #10
themossman
Apprehensive Optimist

$275 to your door. But I have to wait for Vararam to deliver before I pull it off...
Old 08-10-2009, 10:11 PM   #11
HaveBlue

Drives: CTS/CAMARO
I like how this one is an entire, larger, replacement airbox. I see on the flyer it's part of their MXP line. That usually means multiple air inlets.
Looks like the did some work with the tube too. It's not just a straight w/ 90 degree turn. (Note this is a pic of the prototype stereolithography part and doesn't reveal the inlets)

SEMA PICTURES-PARTS & CARS
http://www.pbase.com/haveblue/sema_2009
HaveBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 08:50 AM   #12
FLYNNZL1
Wicked ZL1

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 HBM
Send a message via ICQ to FLYNNZL1 Send a message via MSN to FLYNNZL1 Send a message via Yahoo to FLYNNZL1 Send a message via Skype™ to FLYNNZL1
I am thinking of going with Airaid, it looks cleaner than the rest.
2017 Hyper Blue Metallic ZL1 A10/CF Hood Insert/PDR/NAV MODS: Rotofab CAI/V-MAX CNC Ported Throttle Body/Clear Bra/LED Reverse Light/Rock Guards/Lift Pads/Darkened Tail Lights/Ghost-Tinted LED Side Markers/Darkened 3rd Brake Light
FLYNNZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 09:19 AM   #13
wirebender

Drives: 2017 ZL1, A10, White, sunroof, nav
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaveBlue View Post
I like how this one is an entire, larger, replacement airbox. I see on the flyer it's part of their MXP line. That usually means multiple air inlets.
Looks like the did some work with the tube too. It's not just a straight w/ 90 degree turn. (Note this is a pic of the prototype stereolithography part and doesn't reveal the inlets)
Are there any pics of this installed? Link for more info? Has an L99 been dynoed with this one??
wirebender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 09:56 AM   #14
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36712

Just in case you didn't see this post. You might wait and take a look at ADM's new CAI. Andy knows what he's doing and I would be willing to bet this is going to be one of the best on the market. He is addressing the air flow issue which is why he is going to have a Street and Race version.

Keep an eye on this one.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote