Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 02-25-2010, 04:41 PM   #1
Hicompression
Rumbly Bumble Bee

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
Question Request for Copy of TSB 09-08-51-005? (Peeling Paint)

I need the full copy of TSB 09-08-51-005 "Rear Bumper Fascia Contacting Body, Peeling Paint". Can someone post a link or PM me where to find it. I'll PM you my email address if you have it in .pdf format. I've only got the first page. Can anybody help a Camaro5 brother out? I want to make sure the dealer is following the fix as he is supposed to. Thanks in advance!
Old 02-25-2010, 06:07 PM   #2
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Ask your dealer for a copy. They are public material, and dealers are required to provide copies of bulletins upon request.

This one is pretty simple. They just replace one of the top fascia mount push pins with a j-nut and screw. With the nut and screw in there, they can then adjust a very slight gap between the bumper fascia and quarter panel. Just enough to make those two panels not touch. I did mine myself and can now slide a piece of paper in there. Before I did it, some areas of that joint were touching. Now there is just the slightest gap there to prevent the two panels from rubbing together.

Then the bulletin says to repaint the rear bumper fascia if it has paint peeling. Complete repaint of the bumper, not just dabbing on some touch up paint.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 10:07 PM   #3
Hicompression
Rumbly Bumble Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
Ask your dealer for a copy. They are public material, and dealers are required to provide copies of bulletins upon request.

This one is pretty simple. They just replace one of the top fascia mount push pins with a j-nut and screw. With the nut and screw in there, they can then adjust a very slight gap between the bumper fascia and quarter panel. Just enough to make those two panels not touch. I did mine myself and can now slide a piece of paper in there. Before I did it, some areas of that joint were touching. Now there is just the slightest gap there to prevent the two panels from rubbing together.

Then the bulletin says to repaint the rear bumper fascia if it has paint peeling. Complete repaint of the bumper, not just dabbing on some touch up paint.
Yeah, the dealer showed me their copy but didn't provide me with my own. Their copy stated "repaint (peeled) areas as necessary" or something to that effect. It did not mandate repainting of the whole bumper cover.

I'm still looking for an electronic copy from someone on here if they can provide it to me...
Old 02-25-2010, 10:12 PM   #4
eynigush
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SSRS Rally Yellow
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...t=42960&page=4

Post #79

--Eddie
eynigush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 10:15 PM   #5
eynigush
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SSRS Rally Yellow
It clearly states "refinish" which my dealer explained is repaint and no touch up paint.
Mine was done at Jimmie Johnson Chevrolet a couple of weeks ago. They also redid the front fascia because of the missing paint in the upper corners next to the headlights. It is very noticeable on the rally yellow so I asked if they could help me out. The sevice manager got the district rep on the phone and he approved it as long as they could take pictures and use them for quality control purposes.

--Eddie
eynigush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 07:19 AM   #6
Hicompression
Rumbly Bumble Bee

Edit: Copy received! Thanks to the person who sent it to me! You know who you are.

Last edited by Hicompression; 02-26-2010 at 04:28 PM.
Hicompression is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 07:56 AM   #7
malmadani1

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS\RS
I have a problem with the paint as well my Camaro is Rally Yellow, my friend accidentally bumped the passenger door of my car when opening the door at another car next to me I've noticed that the paint peeled off right away even though the hit wasn't that hard to get the paint off like that is there any information about the finishing quality of the paint was there any issue on the paint especially the rally yellow? please let me know so I'll go back to the dealer and discus it with them.
malmadani1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 10:47 PM   #8
zonepro77

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
I ran into this same issue. The dealer said they needed my car for a few days to repaint the bumper. Needless to say I was pretty pissed after they had the car for 5 days, and when I got it back, all they did was dab touch up on the spot. Of course the shop manager was not there when I picked up my car on Saturday. I left him a not so pleasant message about it. By the next day, it was already peeling again. The TSB says they have to repaint the bumper if the paint is peeling, not this half ass fix the dealer tried to pull.
zonepro77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 11:20 PM   #9
buddylok

Drives: -
can I also have a copy of the TSB ? my paint is starting to peel off the rear bumper.
buddylok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 03:33 PM   #10
Inuyashas_Brother

Drives: '10 Camaro LS - M6
I'm so upset.. this car is 4 months old.

Can someone please send me or tell me where to find the full TSB?

Would any dealership fix this? I'm not satisfied with my local dealership's work.

Inuyashas_Brother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 03:56 PM   #11
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inuyashas_Brother View Post
I'm so upset.. this car is 4 months old.

Can someone please send me or tell me where to find the full TSB?

Would any dealership fix this? I'm not satisfied with my local dealership's work.

Here you go.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...4&postcount=79
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 04:08 PM   #12
Inuyashas_Brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS View Post
Thanks, I plan on printing this and taking it with me but isn't there a full version to make sure they don't cut corners? for example, do they have to re-paint the entire bumper or just spot paint the affected spot?
Old 07-05-2010, 09:52 PM   #13
BICHN CAMARO

Drives: without a license: ss 6m
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inuyashas_Brother View Post
Thanks, I plan on printing this and taking it with me but isn't there a full version to make sure they don't cut corners? for example, do they have to re-paint the entire bumper or just spot paint the affected spot?
Brother, Here is the text book way to fix your issue. You need to find a shop that is quality minded and that starts with one that the paint manufacture of the brand of paint they (the shop) are using has certified the shop and will stand behind the work. At our shop we use Standox paint and our entire shop has been certified as well as myself (painter) being sent to a week long course on how to use the product. They back us up with a LIFETIME warranty. They will not do this unless they know you know what you are doing.

The proper way to repair this issue is to remove the facia (bumper)from the car then clean the entire painted part with a grease and wax remover. This removes any wax or paint treatments that may be on the part. Wet sand the peeling area back with 400 grit and be sure it featheredges like it should. It should NOT keep peeling or chipping back as you sand. The area that is now down to raw plastic will need treated with a special adhesion promoter that will be specified by the paint company that the shop is using, ie DuPont, PPG Standox, whatever. A primer that has a plastic additive is applied over that area ONLY! Allow to dry per manufactures instructions. Wet sand with 600 or finer being sure not to go through. Prep the rest of the cover using 1000 grit and be sure not to sand through the clear! The painter will then apply the base coat (color) to the primed area and blend it out in a succession of coats to achieve a non detectable blend. You do NOT want to apply color over the entire part. after that the clear will be applied and it should have the plastic additive added. This insures the part will flex when bumped and the paint will not crack.

Oh and by the way I do not believe the BS that the cover is attached too tight and that is causing the problem. The root problem is an adhesion issue which is failing due to the "rub" at that trigger spot. I can refinish any raw plastic cover and the paint will not peel back at a tight spot. The paint just ain't sticking like it should.
and they all ride the bus!

Dead Milkmen
BICHN CAMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 10:19 AM   #14
Inuyashas_Brother

BICHN , thank you for the detailed insructions. Apprently, the directions in the TSB are not good enough to permentantly fix the problem according a dealer-affiliated body shop. Right now the body shop is trying to see if they can expand the GM allocated reimbursement amount to do everything needed for a permentant fix. I have my fingers crossed!

Tags
gm paint sucks!