Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 02-19-2011, 05:47 PM   #295
jesserayjames

Drives: Drives a 2012 IOM 2SS/RS 6M
I'll have one come H_LL or High water.............................. The Outlaw!
Old 02-19-2011, 06:14 PM   #296
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULTRAZLS1 View Post
Well said. I did a little rough estimate on what it would cost to mod an SS to be comparable to what the ZL-1 offers and it would be at least ~15k . If you start with a 2SS at 35k, the ZL-1 at ~50k would be a steal while still offering a full factory warranty.

I thought I remembered you posting in the past that you were not totally for the magnetic ride going on the ZL-1.

What are your thoughts on this?
Mag ride has been in service on the Holdens in AU for years now. It is used by some of the most expensive vehicles in the world. The system on the ZL1 will be excellent. The limitations are:

1. The ZL1 will only be able to be lowered about an inch.
2. The integration of the mag ride into stability control

In real world driving, the majority of new ZL1 owners will love the mag ride. The hardcore enthusiasts will want more control over setup. If you speak with driving instructors that work with Corvette owners they will tell you most owners are faster around the track with an assist from the computer. If you speak with experienced drivers they want all the electronic turned off so they can drive as they want. They absolutely do not want the computer interfering with the way they want to drive the car.

Mag ride can be lowered with coils. You'll see that in the CTS-V world. It just can't be lowered much. I am GUESSING that the ZL1 ride heights will be close to the SS. If they drop the car they have to re-crash test it. In my mind that means the ride heights will be close to the SS. Crystal ball gazing I see some ZL1s lowered with coils, some on Pedders Supercar coilovers and most unchanged from the factory. The current car is very good and more car than most can drive and the ZL1 will be better. Only the most dedicated enthusiasts will be modding away the ZL1 and I will be one of them
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 08:36 PM   #297
NYCSRTATE

Drives: Future ZL1 or CTS V Owner
Was going to get a 2011 2SS/RS dealer would not budge on price $38+k got a killer deal on a leftover 2010 Challenger SRT8 6M.

I think I found what ill be trading the Challenger in for next year.

This ZL1 is gorgeous, red with black stripe is what ill be aiming for. If they really start them at $47k im in.
NYCSRTATE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 08:38 PM   #298
Z4me

Drives: 2013 ZL1 IOM Vin #169
Quote:
Originally Posted by DITCHDIGGER View Post
Looking at the prices that are charged for the SLP ZL cars I find it difficult to believe that the ZL1 will be anywhere near 50 grand. I think the price will be more like 60 grand or higher. You cant find a supercharged SLP ZL car for less than 65 grand. The ZL454 is going for 50 grand. With all the other improvements the ZL1 will have over the SLP cars like MR, I find it hard to believe that this car will be affordable for most folks. It will be Corvette money for sure. I really want to buy something like this but I too am going to wait until this thing comes out and the dust settles. I have a feeling that a well cared for used ZO6 will be a much better deal. I would prefer a car with 4 seats though. I have always been a camaro guy but if this thing is priced like I think it is then the GT500 is going to be a much better deal to me.
Umm hello at 60k+ U think there still grabbing a Camaro buyers clientle. Were not talking vets here, perhaps you should be posting on the mustang forums instead ehh? Get real dude!!
Z4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 09:14 PM   #299
91Z28350

Drives: 2012 GT500 SVTPP 2010 Traverse LTZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroMiami View Post
I agree with you, let's compare apples to apples.
I believe the price could still be under 52K because the $3495 for the SVT package on the GT500 is an option where as it will be standard on the ZL1.
I agree, my prediction, $49,995 + GGT and destination. Would love to see them get the mileage high enough to avoid the GGT, but don't want them to neuter the car to do so.
91Z28350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 03:10 AM   #300
DITCHDIGGER

Drives: Boring
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4me View Post
Umm hello at 60k+ U think there still grabbing a Camaro buyers clientle. Were not talking vets here, perhaps you should be posting on the mustang forums instead ehh? Get real dude!!
Umm I am real dude!! What clientele do you think GM went after with the SLP ZL454 and 585 cars? Your right were not talking vetts here. But GM is asking vette money for them. I don't see why all of a sudden GM is going to make a supercharged camaro with all of the upgrades that the ZL1 is going to have and price it 15 to 20 thousand less than the SLP cars they already offer. I guess once the ZL1 comes out, SLP will stop making the ZL585. After all, why would anyone buy one when they can get a ZL1 for thousands less?

I hope your right and I am wrong. That is some crow I wouldn't mind eating. But judging from what I see in the pricing of what they already offer, Im not holding my breath.
DITCHDIGGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 03:19 AM   #301
91Z28350

Drives: 2012 GT500 SVTPP 2010 Traverse LTZ
The problem with your reasoning, is it is based on incorrect information. You do realize that GM has NOTHING to do with the ZL 585 cars, other than the fact that SLP customizes the Camaro. SLP is not working with or for GM on the ZL 427, 560,585, SLP ZL1 (not to be confused with the GM ZL1). They are an aftermarket tuner shop. Some dealerships have a marketing arrangement to sell the SLP cars on their showroom floors, some dealerships have that agreement with Callaway. Neither car is an official GM product.
That being said, GM will price this car within a couple grand +/- of the GT500. Just like they did with the V6 and the SS models.
91Z28350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 03:35 AM   #302
DITCHDIGGER

Drives: Boring
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91Z28350 View Post
The problem with your reasoning, is it is based on incorrect information. You do realize that GM has NOTHING to do with the ZL 585 cars, other than the fact that SLP customizes the Camaro. SLP is not working with or for GM on the ZL 427, 560,585, SLP ZL1 (not to be confused with the GM ZL1). They are an aftermarket tuner shop. Some dealerships have a marketing arrangement to sell the SLP cars on their showroom floors, some dealerships have that agreement with Callaway. Neither car is an official GM product.
That being said, GM will price this car within a couple grand +/- of the GT500. Just like they did with the V6 and the SS models.

I didn't know that. Was it the same back in the late 90s early 2000s with the SS? Thats news to me. Thank you for clearing that up for me. I haven't been in the market for a vehicle like this one for a decade or more. Been trying to do as much research as I can on all of my options before puling the trigger on something like this. Thanks for the info.
DITCHDIGGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 07:39 AM   #303
Z4me

Drives: 2013 ZL1 IOM Vin #169
Quote:
Originally Posted by DITCHDIGGER View Post
Umm I am real dude!! What clientele do you think GM went after with the SLP ZL454 and 585 cars? Your right were not talking vetts here. But GM is asking vette money for them. I don't see why all of a sudden GM is going to make a supercharged camaro with all of the upgrades that the ZL1 is going to have and price it 15 to 20 thousand less than the SLP cars they already offer. I guess once the ZL1 comes out, SLP will stop making the ZL585. After all, why would anyone buy one when they can get a ZL1 for thousands less?

I hope your right and I am wrong. That is some crow I wouldn't mind eating. But judging from what I see in the pricing of what they already offer, Im not holding my breath.

I Didn't mean to slam your post so hard about the price being 60K+, just got home from late night of drinks with friends and my emotions got the best of me when I read your post .
But like the other person posted SLP cars are produced by a company who gets the camaros probably wholesale from GM. Then makes them a higher performance car and jacks up the prices greatly depending on the improvements made. Plus SLP and GM have an arrangement that they can be sold at the chevy dealerships and carry I believe its a one year warrentry. I can see where you could get confused that it was an actual product made entirely by GM because of thier working arrangement.
I think it was a smart idea on GM's part to do this actually. This gave them a chance to test the waters and to see if there was a market for a supercharged camaro. Plus they could use some of the ideas from SLP and other companies to come up with thier own rendition. In addition because they will be making thier own products for the car and assembling them at the factory, then can afford to bring down the price to a more affordable level.
Even though they have not stated a firm price for the ZL1 yet, I'm betting they already have a target range + or - 5% for the base price. So if thier's target base of lets say 50k then thier going to be most likely in the base price range of 47.5k to 52.5K..
Do I have some inside knowledge about this? Nope its just makes good business sence to have some parameter to work with on a product that will soon be in production. Bottom line they have to make money for the shareholders of GM, and at the same time have the ZL1 priced so that its going to be affordable to thier target buyers. It's a fine line to walk, but seeing the passion of GM reps like fbodfather on these forums, I feel confident this will be achieveable.
Z4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 04:30 PM   #304
CRChevy
MARO MAN

Drives: Orange 2010 Camaro 2RS
I am thinking the price tag will be 55-60K it has the same engine as the Vette/ZR1 Vette (70K base / 110K base) we have to wait for more details but I would make a bet without a doubt it will not be 45k.
Old 02-20-2011, 05:36 PM   #305
blufin

Drives: Fire Engine
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRChevy View Post
I am thinking the price tag will be 55-60K it has the same engine as the Vette/ZR1 Vette (70K base / 110K base) we have to wait for more details but I would make a bet without a doubt it will not be 45k.

Wrong. Neither engine is the same as what the ZL1 will have.
Sold
blufin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 08:12 PM   #306
TaylorRyanSS
COTW: 12/13/10

Drives: 1969 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRChevy View Post
Actually my guess is a starting price of 48-52K. They have to price it around the price of the GT500. They would be stupid not to since that will be its main competitor. No way will this car be 60K. And it has an LSA not an LS9 engine.

"Are you one of those boys who prefer cars to women? - I'm one of those boys that appreciates a fine body, regardless of the make."
1969 CAMARO JOURNAL: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=341239 | FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/taylor.ryan.apt | GRAPHIC DESIGN: www.aptdesigns.net
TaylorRyanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 12:58 PM   #307
trapin

Drives: Camaro
JusticePete, I totally understand what you're saying. However...I think you misunderstood my original post. I said for the money you can get "almost" the same performance of the ZL1. I never said you could totally replicate the car for that money.

Something else to consider; the novelty of the ZL1 and how long it will last. Think about it, how many people go ga-ga over stock 2002 ZO6's? I loved them back in the day when they were head-turners but now I barely notice them. The flipside of that coin is if someone drives by in a highly modified 2002 Corvette with custom wheels and big lopey camshaft......how can you not love that??!!!

ZL1 is a bad ass car, there's no denying that. But modded cars will always have a coolness factor that will far outlive any stock ones.

So aren't you glad you're a parts dealer for the C5?
trapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 06:40 PM   #308
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
I am all over modded cars too!
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote