Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 09-21-2012, 08:07 PM   #1
Cornflakes'Camaro
Counting down the days...

Drives: Black 2011 2SS/RS
Quick check before I get everything together and proceed

Here's my game plan, input if I am wrong in your opinion or if there's just an easier way to go about this is very welcome.

Buy:
-Speedy's Clay Prep Towel w/ spray lubricant
-Griot's Garage Paint Sealant
-Griot's Garage Best of Show Wax
-Random Orbital Polisher

Now the game plan:

Wash car and dry w/ drying towel

Use the clay prep towel to prep the paint and get contaminents out, then right afterwards use the random orbital polisher w/ the paint sealant.

After removal of the paint sealant, I plan on using the orbital polisher with the Best of Show Wax.

After roughly 3-4 days, weather depending, I plan on re-washing the car and drying w/ my normal spray detailer, then enjoying the results.

I do have two questions...for those of you who have used a R.O.P., do you use it for applying and taking off the sealant/wax? Also, how long, in your opinion, should the sealant and wax be left on before removal?
Tick Performance Custom Cam w/ support mods/BBK LT Headers w/ midpipes/Straight Exhaust/Airaid Cold Air Intake/ZL1 Driveshaft/ZL1 Differential/Hendrix Engineering Offset Bushings/ZL1 Axles/BMR Rear Subframe Bushings/BMR Toe Rods/Carlyle Racing 15" Conversion/Jannetty Winsheild Bottle Scoop/Forgestar 15x10 Beadlocks wrapped in Mickey Thompson Radial Pros
Cornflakes'Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:57 PM   #2
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Honestly I'd skip the polisher right now. You don't need to apply sealant or wax with a polisher. Doing it by hand is plenty sufficient. Hang on to the money until you're going to actually do some polishing.

Everything else looks good. I have a couple suggestions. One, you want to let the sealant set for 15-20 minutes before removing. Second, allow the sealant to cure for 12 hours before applying anything over top of it. A lot of times sealants will haze over again after time. So apply the sealant, the next morning, go over the car with waterless wash or detail spray to remove any dust, and then apply your wax. I'd recommend even going a step further, doing two coats of sealant then topping it with wax. You'll love those results.

*In life, there are no nandroids*
Old 09-21-2012, 08:59 PM   #3
Cornflakes'Camaro

OK, thanks CD07. everything else looks all in order though?
Tick Performance Custom Cam w/ support mods/BBK LT Headers w/ midpipes/Straight Exhaust/Airaid Cold Air Intake/ZL1 Driveshaft/ZL1 Differential/Hendrix Engineering Offset Bushings/ZL1 Axles/BMR Rear Subframe Bushings/BMR Toe Rods/Carlyle Racing 15" Conversion/Jannetty Winsheild Bottle Scoop/Forgestar 15x10 Beadlocks wrapped in Mickey Thompson Radial Pros
Old 09-21-2012, 09:01 PM   #4
CamaroDreams07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornflakes'Camaro View Post
OK, thanks CD07. everything else looks all in order though?
Dang you're fast lol. I added some more to it.

*In life, there are no nandroids*
Old 09-21-2012, 09:32 PM   #5
chappy48

Drives: 2010 Camaro Auto 2SS/RS
I'd definitely look at getting a couple quality polishes and polish the car in between the claying and sealing/waxing. You will be blown away by the change in your paint.
TVS2300 Supercharger w/Maggie Max Stage 2, 3.6 Pulley, Innovators West 8 rib conversion, OD rear Cog belt drive.
Jannetty Racing Rough Idle Cam, LS3 Conversion.
Jannetty Racing built 6l80e Trans, Jannetty Racing Custom Converter, Built rear diff w/ 3.45 gears, DSS driveshaft and 1400 hp axles.
ADM Twin Pump Fuel System, ADM CAI, Dynatech 1 7/8" Coated Headers, Borla "S" Catback.
Custom 18" Forgestar F14's, Nitto 305/45-18 DR's
chappy48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:24 PM   #6
Cornflakes'Camaro

I would love to get some polishing....but there's one problem...

I live in a neighborhood with about 4-5 trees covering the driveway, street, house, etc. basically a sub division in the middle of a small forest. Since within an hour, leaves, berries, bird poop (on a bad day) will touch my paint, how can I leave the sealant on for the longest amount of time and still not have to worry about these natural elements on my paint when I take the sealant off? I want to leave the sealant on for 12 hours but I honestly think that it is going to put too many tree debris on my paint job. Maybe for 6 hours two seperate times? I have a car cover, could I put that over it?
Old 10-03-2012, 10:31 PM   #7
CamaroDreams07

Quote:
I would love to get some polishing....but there's one problem...

I live in a neighborhood with about 4-5 trees covering the driveway, street, house, etc. basically a sub division in the middle of a small forest. Since within an hour, leaves, berries, bird poop (on a bad day) will touch my paint, how can I leave the sealant on for the longest amount of time and still not have to worry about these natural elements on my paint when I take the sealant off? I want to leave the sealant on for 12 hours but I honestly think that it is going to put too many tree debris on my paint job. Maybe for 6 hours two seperate times? I have a car cover, could I put that over it?
No, no no. You don't want to leave the sealant on for that long without buffing off. 30 minutes or so, max.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:36 PM   #8
Cornflakes'Camaro

Ok, then what is all this talk about leaving sealant/wax on for hours at a time? Did I get the wax and sealant steps confused?
Old 10-03-2012, 10:38 PM   #9
Cornflakes'Camaro

nevermind, i just read your post again CD07 and I now understand the 12 hour thing. My bad on that one bud.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:39 PM   #10
CamaroDreams07

Quote:
Ok, then what is all this talk about leaving sealant/wax on for hours at a time? Did I get the wax and sealant steps confused?
Generally speaking:

When working with a sealant, you apply, let it cure for about 30 minutes, then buff off. Sealants a lot of times will cure again over the next 12 hours though. So it's good practice to wipe it off again with a detail spray the next morning.

That's also why I generally recommend you wait 12 hours between coats of sealant. Let them completely cure before you put anything over top of it.

You were just skipping a step, but you're definitely on the right track.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:09 AM   #11
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Hey, in case you haven't bought it yet, I would just get the Speedy Prep Towel (FINE Grade) by itself. Instead of paying 5-20 dollars extra for the clay lube, get ONR (optimum no rinse) instead. Put 2 ounces in a gallon and you get clay lube. And it has a thousand other uses too!

I think you would be much happier with the ONR rather than the DP clay lube http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-no-rinse.html

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:41 PM   #12
Cornflakes'Camaro

I just got it in the mail 2 days ago! hahaha. But the input is always welcome. Thanks buddy
Old 10-05-2012, 06:21 PM   #13
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
no problem, if you finish using your clay lube, switch to ONR! Much more economical!

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:29 PM   #14
Cornflakes'Camaro

Just got done with the washing, drying and paint prep with the speedys' paint prep clay towel. I must say that was much faster due to having a bigger surface area on the towel to work with. It took roughly 25-30 mins, and half of that was wiping off the spray w/ my MF towel. I ended up having to cut it short since it is 40% chance of rain, and getting higher throughout the evening. I don't want to have the sealant on there and have it sprinkle on and off like it has been.

When I was done I just washed the clay towel with a small amount of dish soap along with my Griots Garage MF waffle weave drying towel and they are both air drying now. So far, so good! I will get the 2 seals out tomorrow, but leaving on for 8+ hrs won't be feasible....maybe 4hrs in between the applications. Would this make a big difference?