Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 10-28-2013, 06:56 PM   #1
cplhester

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 Manual
Oil consumption issue! Again...

So this makes the second time my 2010 SS has been in for warranty work due to consuming to much oil. Car was 4 qts low after 2,000 miles. Now the dealership is replacing pistons and rings. Car has 49,000 miles and is well taken care of. I was wondering if anyone else has had to go through this crap?
cplhester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:53 PM   #2
cplhester

By the way it is all covered under warranty but I am just wanting to see if this is an isolated issue or not. The dealership here said they have never had to do this repair to a Camaro until now.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:28 PM   #3
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by cplhester View Post
So this makes the second time my 2010 SS has been in for warranty work due to consuming to much oil. Car was 4 qts low after 2,000 miles. Now the dealership is replacing pistons and rings. Car has 49,000 miles and is well taken care of. I was wondering if anyone else has had to go through this crap?
Oh no!

Very sorry to hear about the oil issues with your Camaro. I know that's displeasing for you though I'm happy to hear the dealer is taking steps to resolve the concern. Keep us updated on the diagnosis and don't hesitate to contact us if additional assistance is needed.

Kindly,

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:29 PM   #4
Dfault

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
I also have a 2010 and im close tl 70k miles, but in the time ive had it ive had no issues.
Dfault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:56 PM   #5
cplhester

I am probably trading the car in tomorrow. So tired of all the problems and constant trips to the dealership. Right out of the box we had the A/C go out. Then a puddle of oil in the garage. Cant believe my dream car turned into a nightmare. My dealership has been great fixing everything under warranty but I just dont trust the car anymore. We are 1 year 3 months from the end of our powertrain warranty. I am considering a new Camaro but I just dont know my confidence in the car has been compromised. Im a long time Chevrolet guy and have never owned anything else.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:27 AM   #6
Hannibal

Drives: Camaro SS & ZL1
The SS was my dream car when I bought it too. I thought I was the only one who was on a first name basis with the service department.

Like you, I considered dumping the car and looking to another manufacturer. After speaking to folks who own the Ford and Dodge competition, I learned that there is nowhere to hide. They face their own pile of issues just like we do.

Right about that time, the ZL1 came along so I picked one up. That car has been flawless. The SS on the other hand, seems to like to visit the shop every few months.

The bottom line is that some of these cars are prone to failure and you're luck is simply a shot in the dark when buying any of the big three brands.

PS
My SS doesn't burn any oil.
Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:25 AM   #7
Wilsonation

Drives: 2014 ZL1 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
The SS was my dream car when I bought it too. I thought I was the only one who was on a first name basis with the service department.

Like you, I considered dumping the car and looking to another manufacturer. After speaking to folks who own the Ford and Dodge competition, I learned that there is nowhere to hide. They face their own pile of issues just like we do.

Right about that time, the ZL1 came along so I picked one up. That car has been flawless. The SS on the other hand, seems to like to visit the shop every few months.

The bottom line is that some of these cars are prone to failure and you're luck is simply a shot in the dark when buying any of the big three brands.

PS
My SS doesn't burn any oil.
This is the whole reason I'm switching from a Dodge Charger to an SS. TOO many problems with that car. but it's monthly! sometimes weekly!
Wilsonation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 12:05 PM   #8
LuSe4

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS LS3
Every car maker lets out some lemons it seems. It seems to be luck of the draw.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:35 PM   #9
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfault View Post
I also have a 2010 and im close tl 70k miles, but in the time ive had it ive had no issues.
My '10 SS / L99 with 30,000+ miles has never used a drop of oil between changes.
Sorry for your problem.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:35 AM   #10
Hannibal

Drives: Camaro SS & ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilsonation View Post
This is the whole reason I'm switching from a Dodge Charger to an SS. TOO many problems with that car. but it's monthly! sometimes weekly!
I hope this is the last of your troubles. If it helps, the V8 motors are not known to be oil burners so perhaps you will never see the problem again.
Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 06:05 PM   #11
cplhester

Well they are offering us $24,000 for our car. If we buy a new Camaro otherwise the trade in is $20,500. Looking at 2013 camaros bc we really don't like the look of the 2014's.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:44 AM   #12
flyinlow

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
We had a similar issue with our 2007 Avalanche, started using oil at 30,000 miles. It took a year or so but Chevy eventually had a TSB on it, they put a windage tray in the oil pan and a few other changes (new valve covers and something else can't remember what it is though). It all got fixed and in the last two years I haven't had any issues with oil consumption.

Is your car an automatic? My understanding of the oil consumption issue is it is related to the cylinder deactivation for fuel mileage. The 2007 Avalanche was the first year they had that in the trucks.
flyinlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:55 AM   #13
Jason@Phastek

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Send a message via AIM to Jason@Phastek
I have seen several Camaros with this issue. One customer here locally has to drain his catch can every 2 weeks. His to is a 2010 SS. His Camaro has a cam in it, so he is afraid that he cant take it in for warranty work.
Jason@Phastek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 02:46 PM   #14
GearHeadPeter
US Navy Vet

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS, 65 Mustang GT Fastback
My 2011 V6 / A6 is now starting to use oil at 28K.

My 2011 V6 is now starting to use oil at 28K.

Did an oil change and for two months the oil was full, but between one week and the next it used 1/2 quart. I just emptied my catch can and I got about 6 oz. of very black oil out of it. This really sucks as I don't get on it much. Doing a consumption test at the dealer next month when I get it changed again. They gave me a form to keep track of my oil levels after the next oil change. Guess I gotta get some spare oil to keep on hand.
3rd Camaro on this forum to have a Mylink installed. Installation by GEN5DIY, Heritage Grill, Lloyds Premium Ebony Camaro RS floor mats, Empire Billet Camaro Black sill plates, AAC: LED footwell & interior lighting, Rear Courtesy Lights, LED side markers/turn signals, Plasma P13W DRl bulbs, Formula 1 Pinnacle Series tint, Roto-Fab Yellow CAI & Fuse cover, Technostalgia Afterburner LED taillights, EmblemPros custom V6 hydrocoated carbon fiber/RY engine cover, Pfadt Sport sway bars, Ofer's Backup Camera, and full Brembo brake conversion.
GearHeadPeter is offline   Reply With Quote