Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 10-09-2013, 10:06 AM   #1
13lstuner

Drives: 2013 2LS BLK
Smile Have became OCD but no money(car detailing on a budget)

Ok guys I'm only 18 paying my car payment, insurance, gas, phone bill. So needless to say I do not have much leisure money(the only leisure I need is driving my amazing car!) but since being on this forum and reading on how analy retentive everyone is about there cars and seeing how amazing everyone makes there car look. It has drawn me to becoming a much more advanced detailer than I currently am. Ok what is the best budget set up for someone with a minimal but willing monetary amount? I have crap microfiber a and a crap drying towel which I'm sure I need to upgrade right away. Thinking of the microfiber madness crazy pile and dry me crazy. I have crap turtle wax car wash and wax. I have meguires or however you spell its ultimate wax and there polishing compound. Black magic interior protectant, tire shine, glass cleaner but truthfully my windows never come extremely clean. Ok so I would like to know the next products in order that I should invest in or ones that's I should stop using and sell. I can spend a decent amount of money on This and am open to any price range. It is just the higher the price the less the products I can buy.
13lstuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:25 AM   #2
REVOLUTION1

Drives: 2010 CAMARO TURBO SS
I suggest Adams Products, in my opinion best on the market!!!
REVOLUTION1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:09 AM   #3
13lstuner

Drives: 2013 2LS BLK
Quote:
Originally Posted by REVOLUTION1 View Post
I suggest Adams Products, in my opinion best on the market!!!
I have heard great things about Adams. What items should I start off buying?
13lstuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 12:18 PM   #4
camaro2ssblack

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS - Black on Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13lstuner View Post
I have heard great things about Adams. What items should I start off buying?
Adams is not a budget friendly choice. You need to look into Meguires or Detailers Pro for cheap and effective gallon products.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:00 PM   #5
CamaroJim56
Obsessed

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS RS
Many detailers on here say that the product is not as important as the technique.

Gallon of chemical guys wash on Amazon is $22.

I use the Meguiars brand waxes, and have no problems with them, they seem to last, and bead well for me.

For an economical drying towel that I find works well, search Viking Waffle Weave towel on Amazon. I use them, and prefer it to my Guzzler. I dry using Meguiars spray wax, and love the stuff.

Even on a budget, there are fine products out there, many on here swear by the Meguiars products.

Best of luck.

Jim

2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
CamaroJim56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:07 PM   #6
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Spend your money on good towels and wash media. The difference between good and bad is much more crucial there than it is in soap, wax, etc.

In other words, don't go cheap on your towels and wash mitts. Go cheap on your products if you have to.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:47 PM   #7
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
Spend your money on good towels and wash media. The difference between good and bad is much more crucial there than it is in soap, wax, etc.

In other words, don't go cheap on your towels and wash mitts. Go cheap on your products if you have to.
Also, very importantly, watch as many videos on how to properly wash and dry your car. If you don't get that down pat first, you'll never get your car looking better because you'll just keep causing swirls every time you wash and dry. But yes, go expensive on the towels and wash mitts and use cheap products while you save up a bit more and then you can buy better products after.

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:21 PM   #8
Tcnj80

Drives: Black Jeep srt8, IOM 2013 2ss/rs.
Megs, poor boys, chem guys have great stuff at good prices. Adams is decent but in no way above other brands and not worth the cost.
Tcnj80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 04:53 AM   #9
kostnkost
Roof expert detail noob

Drives: 2013 BRM 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcnj80 View Post
Megs, poor boys, chem guys have great stuff at good prices. Adams is decent but in no way above other brands and not worth the cost.
I'm no fan boy of Admas, but I beg to differ on their detail spray. I have tried a bunch and nothing comes close.

As per the OP's question, I would say if you were to spend any money it would be on MF towels. This will save you headaches down the road and is a wise investment.
Old 10-10-2013, 05:50 AM   #10
its a syn
B.O.D. 02/16/10

Drives: 2010 SGM Sp. Edition 2017 RS Conver
Invisible Glass cleaner.

Tags
budget, detailing, soap, wash, wax