Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 08-31-2013, 09:11 PM   #1
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
Thumbs up 1LE test drive opinion from an owner of the 5.0 track package '11 Mustang

Hi Guys, I will like to share you today's experience behind the wheel of a '14 Camaro 1LE.

Today I was invited to test drive the 1LE, it came with the dual exhaust, 2SS & RS, a beautiful SIM and they also had a red 1LE, to bad that they did not had the Recaro's (still the seats felt comfortable.). The sales man allow me to have a spirited drive. The 1LE had an amazing handling, the exhaust sounded like glory, the engine felt powerful. The car had the HUD, that look amazing, but while driving I did not pay any attention to it (I could live without it). Everything was going great, until I showed the car to my wife, the dream stopped, since my present '11 5.0 with the 3.73 gear and Brembo track package, it has the manual transmission. The only problem is that my wife hates driving it with the clutch. So I went back and tested another '14 SS that was automatic without the dual exhaust. While driving it, I miss the sound of the dual exhaust, I chose to drive it with the paddle shift (seem very slow, probably on my mind I was comparing it to the Ferrari & Lamborguini that I drove in Exotic Car racing at Las Vegas racing track, both of them were automatic and the change of speed via the paddle shift was completely amazing), I felt unimpressed, this one was very slow to react to my shifting. So I moved it to regular automatic again, and then I felt the power that I was missing, but without the great handling of the 1LE.
I will like to comment about the back view of the Camaro, I was thinking that it was going to look very ugly, compared to the prior one, and on person, it does not look like in the pictures that are on the magazines or that you will find in the web, the car looks great, specially from the front side, the 1LE looks powerful, both types of headlights look great. I really love the 1LE. I had driven my priors Porsche 911 Carrera in street and track & my Infinti G35 sport Coupe, I tested the Lamborguini Gallardo, Ferrari F430, Cayman and the Cadillac CTS V (sedan and coupe with the supercharger, the stick one was the best, I did not like the auto, it was very slow).

I really congratulate you Guys and I envy you, you have a fine piece of machinery, very well designed for the track.

Since I will not be able to have the 1LE because of the clutch incompatibility with my wife. I'm asking my local dealer, if he can get me an automatic SS, with the Recaros, dual exhaust (the dealer told me that this exhaust does not go with the automatic transmission), 1LE tires and wheels (if not original at least in the same sizes), probably also to include the 1LE swaybars, and I don't know if the 3.91 gear will be compatible with the auto transmission, also if possible to include the 3 gauges on top of the central console, maybe silver color, if this is possible then I will be very happy and be somehow close enough to the original 1LE, and enjoy like you, your daily driving adventures with your 1LE. Please advice

Last edited by Bosse'sBoss; 07-07-2021 at 07:18 AM.
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:17 PM   #2
HighMtnSS

Drives: '13 AGM 2SS/RS 1LE, 1 of 139
Sounds to me like you need to work a "his (1LE) & hers (L99)" package deal with your dealer!
HighMtnSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:34 PM   #3
Egon

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE
GM has a available a 1LE parts pack that you can install on non 1LE cars. You get all of the goodies except the close ratio transmission and the wheels and tires. Glad you enjoyed the test drive enough to come over to the dark side.
Egon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:51 PM   #4
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
It's time for manual training. Buy the 1LE or you won't be happy.

BTW, isn't Texas flat?
Old 08-31-2013, 11:32 PM   #5
Cookie Monster
Belle Isle

Drives: 2014 1LE
I went thru the exact same situation with my wife, but it was my car so I really didnt care how she felt about me getting a stick. She gets her way with just about anything else so...
But I'd definitely get the 1LE if I were you, its a blast to drive!!!
From the sound of it, it seems like your wife knows how to drive a stick (mines doesnt, hell I didnt till I bought it basically) And if she doesnt, and push comes to shove just teach her.

Credit to xVengeancex28
Cookie Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 12:03 AM   #6
CrystalRedTintcoat

Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE NPP GBE
I don't want my wife driving my 1LE. It 9 months and she hasn't. I'm afraid she'll either (a) hit curbs when parking or (b) won't be meticulous when parking and the car will get dinged to high heaven.
CrystalRedTintcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:45 AM   #7
Bosse'sBoss

Thumbs up

I know that the best way is to get the 1LE, I don't have any doubt on that, but if I decide to smoke the peace pipe with my wife and follow the automatic direction. Where can I get the 1LE wheels, or similar size wheels that will fit the Camaro? Also probably I will need to change the swaybars to go with the square setup. Where can I get the 1LE swaybars?
Old 09-01-2013, 08:47 AM   #8
Bosse'sBoss

Also do you know if the ILE's 3.91 gear will it go along with the autom. transmission? Will that affect performance or warranty?
Old 09-01-2013, 09:17 AM   #9
Wileycoyote

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS 1LE
It sounds like you need to test drive a camaro ZL1. They make them in automatics. Performance and handling wise is is right up there with those previous cars you have driven.
Wileycoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:56 AM   #10
Bosse'sBoss

Maybe I will look for a '12 ZL1, to be close to my $ range of the '14 ILE
Old 09-01-2013, 10:10 AM   #11
DemonZL1

Drives: like a granny
I know it's irrelevant but, the brembo package and track package are different. 13 was the first year for that track package. The differences being the torsen rear, oil cooler and boss radiator. Not to mention that is a manual only package as well. There is a night and day difference with the torsen vs typical lsd.

On the other note, I too like the 1le over the mustang with track pack. The amount of money you would spend for 1le goodies on an automatic would add up to stupid high numbers.

Anderson composites coupon code : Demon
DemonZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 10:11 AM   #12
DemonZL1

Drives: like a granny
Your zl1 idea is the way to go

Anderson composites coupon code : Demon
DemonZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 12:32 PM   #13
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosse'sBoss View Post
Hi Guys, I will like to share you today's experience behind the wheel of a '14 Camaro 1LE.

Today I was invited to test drive the 1LE, it came with the dual exhaust, 2SS & RS, a beautiful SIM and they also had a red 1LE, to bad that they did not had the Recaro's (still the seats felt comfortable.). The sales man allow me to have a spirited drive. The 1LE had an amazing handling, the exhaust sounded like glory, the engine felt powerful. The car had the HUD, that look amazing, but while driving I did not pay any attention to it (I could live without it). Everything was going great, until I showed the car to my wife, the dream stopped, since my present '11 5.0 with the 3.73 gear and Brembo track package is standard, and she hates driving it with the clutch. So I went back and tested another '14 SS that was automatic without the dual exhaust. While driving it, I miss the sound of the dual exhaust, I chose to drive it with the paddle shift (seem very slow, probably on my mind I was comparing it to the Ferrari & Lamborguini that I drove in Exotic Car racing at Las Vegas racing track, both of them were automatic and the change of speed via the paddle shift was completely amazing), I felt unimpressed, this one was very slow to react to my shifting. So I moved it to regular automatic again, and then I felt the power that I was missing, but without the great handling of the 1LE.
I will like to comment about the back view of the Camaro, I was thinking that it was going to look very ugly, compared to the prior one, and on person, it does not look like in the pictures that are on the magazines or that you will find in the web, the car looks great, specially from the front side, the 1LE looks powerful, both types of headlights look great. I really love the 1LE. I had driven my priors Porsche 911 Carrera in street and track & my Infinti G35 sport Coupe, I tested the Lamborguini Gallardo, Ferrari 458, Cayman and the Cadillac CTS V (sedan and coupe with the supercharger, the stick one was the best, I did not like the auto, it was very slow).

I really congratulate you Guys and I envy you, you have a fine piece of machinery, well designed for the track.

Since I will not be able to have the 1LE because of the clutch incompatibility with my wife. I'm asking my local dealer, if he can get me an automatic SS, with the Recaros, dual exhaust (the dealer told me that this exhaust does not go with the automatic transmission), 1LE tires and wheels (if not original at least in the same sizes), probably also to include the 1LE swaybars, and I don't know if the 3.91 gear will be compatible with the auto transmission, also if possible to include the 3 gauges on top of the central console, maybe silver color, if this is possible then I will be very happy and be somehow close enough to the original 1LE, and enjoy like you, your daily driving adventures with your 1LE. Please advice
Congrats on your driving experience with the 1LE. It's awesome to hear that you're considering a Camaro. In regards to your hopeful acquisition, this
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighMtnSS View Post
Sounds to me like you need to work a "his (1LE) & hers (L99)" package deal with your dealer!
doesn't sound like a bad idea.

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 04:54 PM   #14
flyinlow

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
I think the dual exhaust you are referring to is the dual mode exhaust, you can get than on either an automatic or manual.
flyinlow is offline   Reply With Quote