Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 05-09-2013, 06:03 PM   #1
Jdavila55

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro LT 6-speed CGM
Ay6 Clutch Kit Replacement

Hello everyone, I've been following this forum and read through hundreds of posts but this is my first. I need advice, I have a 2010 camaro lt with the 6 speed transmission. The clutch went out and supposedly damaged the flywheel in doing so. I have been waiting over three weeks and no one can tell me where the part is or how much longer it will be, the dealerships been telling me it's on backorder. I have been on the phone with the chevy dealership and representatives from gm parts and service. Since its not an item under warranty I have been s.o.l. without a car. Has anyone else had this clutch replaced and had to wait as long? I know spec makes an aftermarket clutch and I've made calls to them and a transmission shop near me that says they can install it, but I haven't been able to find any reviews of the spec clutch in the v6 camaro and the reviews I have found for other cars are hardly promising. I'm out of ideas so any input would be a lot of help! Thanks
Jdavila55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:51 AM   #2
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdavila55 View Post
Hello everyone, I've been following this forum and read through hundreds of posts but this is my first. I need advice, I have a 2010 camaro lt with the 6 speed transmission. The clutch went out and supposedly damaged the flywheel in doing so. I have been waiting over three weeks and no one can tell me where the part is or how much longer it will be, the dealerships been telling me it's on backorder. I have been on the phone with the chevy dealership and representatives from gm parts and service. Since its not an item under warranty I have been s.o.l. without a car. Has anyone else had this clutch replaced and had to wait as long? I know spec makes an aftermarket clutch and I've made calls to them and a transmission shop near me that says they can install it, but I haven't been able to find any reviews of the spec clutch in the v6 camaro and the reviews I have found for other cars are hardly promising. I'm out of ideas so any input would be a lot of help! Thanks
Jdavila55,

Thanks for your insightful post. I am sorry to hear your clutch went out and possibly damaged your flywheel. I'm sure these are frustrating circumstances for you and we appreciate your patience during this time as parts become available to fix this issue. Let me know if there's anything else I may be able to assist with.

Kind regards,

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 05-10-2013, 08:08 AM   #3
sycraft
COTW 5/06/2013

Drives: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport-Ho-Vette
Call RAM and get their new clutch assembly. The oe clutch is not warranted past 12k miles. OE can be procured, but the RAM unit is great. FYI it is a dual disc design, so if you have never had a performance clutch before, be prepared for some noise due to design.
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf camaro v6 release.pdf (261.8 KB, 234 views)
Old 05-10-2013, 11:22 AM   #4
elpatofeo
LawBraker

Drives: 10 SIM 2LT/RS & 2016 1SS Hyper Blue
I hear you bro...my clutch went out also and I have not had much help from anyone here on the forum. I recently bought the SPEC clutch and I will be installing it this weekend...you are right though, the reviews out there are not very promising but I thought I would give them a chance. I hope it goes well...I will know by the end of the week if everything goes well.

My car has been sitting/parked for over a month now...I can't wait to drive it again.
Old 05-10-2013, 03:59 PM   #5
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
People usually only speak up when they have a problem, so hopefully there are many more satisfied Spec customers to make up for the disappointed ones.

Happy to see RAM stepping up to give us some options and anxious to see Sycraft's review in the upcoming CamaroNow!
Ventmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:43 PM   #6
Jason P

Drives: 2011 2ss
My car is an ls3, but I do have a ram dual disc clutch, along with a bunch of stuff on my motor to test it. The clutch holds the power no problems and is super smooth. As far as the noise they make 2 different ones, street and race. The street one (which is what I have) is quiet. The noise comes from different spacers they use between the discs.
2011 2ss Ram twin plate ceramic clutch, Texas speed 418 LS3 235 /243 .621 / .624 cam, ported and polished heads with dual springs,magnum push rods, Hotchkis race pack, Stainless Power long tube headers with no cats, Magna Flo competition exhaust, lpe fuel pump, magnuson supercharger with overdrive and port matched blower plate, IW 8 rib pullies, AEM meth kit, id 850 injectors, 3 bar map, halltech cai, zl1 rear diff
Jason P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:56 PM   #7
RenegadeSS

Drives: Camaro LLT
Even more good news from RAM. Even though my clutch is ok. I know with all the mods I'm going to do, I will definitely need a new one. Good luck OP. I heard some bad reviews about SPEC also, but RAM is looking promising.
Old 05-11-2013, 03:42 PM   #8
Jdavila55

Thanks for the advice guys! I will be calling ram today about that clutch and deciding on a date by which I give up on Chevy and go aftermarket. This coming Thursday will mark a month of not having a car so I think I gave them plenty of time. I will keep this thread updated with the situation in case anyone else has the same problem later on. Good luck with your install elpatofeo, I look forward to hearing about how the spec clutch feels! I did have two questions. Will the ram clutch be significantly harder to push in? And would this clutch void the engine and drivetrain warranty?
Old 05-11-2013, 03:46 PM   #9
sycraft
COTW 5/06/2013

Feel is slightly heavier, but in a good way. As far as warranty, should not affect it, GM does not cover it anyway past 12k. Only if the failure can be related to the clutch should it be a issue.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:22 PM   #10
Jdavila55

Hey everyone, thought I would give an update on my ram clutch now that I have put a good 1000 miles on it. To start off it took two weeks to receive, which was nothing compared to the 2 months chevy had me riding the bus while I waited for them to get me a clutch. As far as the feel, it does feel slightly heavier but in a good way. When stopped on a hill finding the engagement spot seem much easier and precise. Some additional information I can pass on (as given to me by sycraft) is that you will need to get 1 inch 23 tooth alignment tool from autozone part# 14503. And the bolts should be torqued to factory spec, even though ram instruction is for higher. The price difference to the stock clutch is small, considering this and the fact that the ram clutch is of far better quality,
I believe make it a smart investment if you have to replace your clutch. If you want to know anything more about my experience with the ram clutch let me know. Thanks to ram clutch for getting me off the bus and back in my camaro!
Old 01-11-2014, 07:43 AM   #11
sycraft
COTW 5/06/2013

Old 01-11-2014, 10:50 AM   #12
stevey_frac

Drives: 2010 LT2/RS Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdavila55 View Post
Hey everyone, thought I would give an update on my ram clutch now that I have put a good 1000 miles on it. To start off it took two weeks to receive, which was nothing compared to the 2 months chevy had me riding the bus while I waited for them to get me a clutch. As far as the feel, it does feel slightly heavier but in a good way. When stopped on a hill finding the engagement spot seem much easier and precise. Some additional information I can pass on (as given to me by sycraft) is that you will need to get 1 inch 23 tooth alignment tool from autozone part# 14503. And the bolts should be torqued to factory spec, even though ram instruction is for higher. The price difference to the stock clutch is small, considering this and the fact that the ram clutch is of far better quality,
I believe make it a smart investment if you have to replace your clutch. If you want to know anything more about my experience with the ram clutch let me know. Thanks to ram clutch for getting me off the bus and back in my camaro!
Thanks for the update... Can you quantify how much heavier it is? Like, just enough to be noticable? 20%? 30%? 50%? 100%?

Based on yours and sycraft's experience, if I end up needing a new clutch, I'd go with a RAM.
275 / 40 / 20 Continental ExtremeContact DW's on all corners

Next up:
Magnaflow Resonated X-Pipe (Purchased but not installed)
EBC Redstuff street pads
Carbotech XP8 / XP12 track pads
1LE Track Pack

Note: This car built by JDP Motorsports!
stevey_frac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 01:12 PM   #13
sycraft
COTW 5/06/2013

maybe 10-20% heavier, just enough to give it a good feel

Tags
2010lt, 5gen, clutch, spec