Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > ZL1 Wheels/Tires

Old 12-27-2011, 10:41 PM   #71
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbosh View Post
GM has failed to mention that it's special hood will suck up road chemicals kicked up by other cars and trucks! Just think calcium chloride all over your engine,it's one chemical in road salt and it likes to corode metal on contact. So think about what your vacuum hood will pick up on salted roads. Hear that sucking sound!
The car has undergone the same ridiculous foul-weather testing as all GM cars and trucks do. If it didn't pass, it wasn't being built.

Any concerns are customer-generated...in other words...from me:

There's no way in hell I'm driving this car in the winter unless someone is dying, and all other vehicles in the house are broken down. I want it to stay nice as possible.

That's not to say I don't believe it'll survive...but I'm not putting it through the salt. I wouldn't do it with an SS, either.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:58 AM   #72
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Quote:
GM has failed to mention that it's special hood will suck up road chemicals kicked up by other cars and trucks! Just think calcium chloride all over your engine,it's one chemical in road salt and it likes to corode metal on contact. So think about what your vacuum hood will pick up on salted roads. Hear that sucking sound!
My friend, when they refer to "vacuum", they are referring to the process used in creating the carbon fiber part, NOT to the "fact" that the hood is some sort of "Hoover" or "Electrolux", or contributes greatly to some sort of "ground effects" at work "sucking" the car down to the road surface...

Vacuum-bagged carbon fiber is exactly that: after the part is formed, it is put in a bag which has vacuum applied to remove as much air as possible, making the part as dense and non-porous as possible, which enhances its ultimate strength after heating/curing.

Tires. Hoods. Now what?
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 09:09 AM   #73
IOMZL1

Drives: 2015 Z/28 | 2017 Viper ACR Extreme
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
My friend, when they refer to "vacuum", they are referring to the process used in creating the carbon fiber part, NOT to the "fact" that the hood is some sort of "Hoover" or "Electrolux", or contributes greatly to some sort of "ground effects" at work "sucking" the car down to the road surface...
To be fair the extractor does release high pressure from under the car, in effect creating downforce. This could be considered a weak vacuum. Aaand that's where I'll stop.

dougshelbyengineering.com

www.facebook.com/dougshelbyengineering

www.instagram.com/dougshelbyengineering
IOMZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 10:49 AM   #74
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
My friend, when they refer to "vacuum", they are referring to the process used in creating the carbon fiber part, NOT....[that it] contributes greatly to some sort of "ground effects" at work "sucking" the car down to the road surface...
Agreed with everything else you wrote but this (^)...

Because:
Quote:
Originally Posted by IOMZL1 View Post
To be fair the extractor does release high pressure from under the car, in effect creating downforce. This could be considered a weak vacuum.
Both in terms of drawing air out from the engine compartment by directly venting hot air from behind the radiator, reducing lift...and the resulting downforce generated from the slipstream blowing over the hood...

It does suck help suck the car down to the road a little bit...

I wouldn't drive my ZL1 through the living room to clean the carpets, though...
Old 12-28-2011, 01:36 PM   #75
Scarrzz
No Fear-No Limits- Camaro

Drives: '13 ZL1 or Suzuki Hayabusa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post

But it just might be worth it to see the look on the cat's face !
Scarrzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 01:43 PM   #76
HumanWiki

Drives: Car
Quote:
There is still some big problems some of you have not considered. GM has failed to mention that it's special hood will suck up road chemicals kicked up by other cars and trucks! Just think calcium chloride all over your engine,it's one chemical in road salt and it likes to corode metal on contact. So think about what your vacuum hood will pick up on salted roads. Hear that sucking sound!
You know the roads aren't free of debris, dust, contaminants, etc. all other times of the year, right?

That also means you shouldn't drive down dusty roads, dirt/sand roads, definitely nothing near a construction site. Skip all road construction routes. Etc.

Skip driving behind any "big rig" anywhere within a mile or so of it due to lingering chemicals in the air from the exhaust. Stay away from cars leaking oil, burning oil or otherwise bad combustion from their tail pipes. You're going to need to avoid dense traffic altogether, because there's no telling what will get "sucked up" in to the engine bay.

Some of you guys act like this car is some dainty little princess that can't handle even the slightest bit of stress.
HumanWiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 01:48 PM   #77
MikeC5
Nomad

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarrzz View Post
But it just might be worth it to see the look on the cat's face !

What was that thing?
Attached Images

Old 12-28-2011, 06:06 PM   #78
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Both in terms of drawing air out from the engine compartment by directly venting hot air from behind the radiator, reducing lift...and the resulting downforce generated from the slipstream blowing over the hood...

Chevrolet, in their preliminary info, mentioned "vacuum carbon fiber"...which is a manufacturing technique NOT employed on every carbon fiber part. It's an extra step to help ensure more uniform thickness, less "captured" air within the c/f and, ultimately, stronger-denser-lighter pieces.

Since then, all manner of erroneous info about "vacuum" has been propogated about the hood/car.

An effective extractor hood will allow otherwise-trapped air to escape, decreasing lift. Whether it's made from c/f or LEAD is irrelevant.

And, frankly, any Camaro sporting a big-ass rear blade spoiler SHOULD have an effective front splitter and/or extractor hood to stabilize and maintain the balance of the overall car, front-to-rear. Tall blade spoilers capture more air which then pushes down on the rear which, without a counterbalance, will LIFT the front...think "fulcrum", or "teeter-totter"...

Admittedly, correct aero is less of an issue at legal highway speeds...but for those wanting to "Maxton Mile" their ZL1s, you'll be very happy GM spent some time in the 'tunnel.

Just like the erroneous info being propogated about the use of summer-only tires by people with little/no first-hand experience in serious winter conditions, be they temperature- or snow-related. Wrong tire choice could cost you your ride...and worse...

Rant over...back on-topic...
Old 12-28-2011, 06:10 PM   #79
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Chevrolet, in their preliminary info, mentioned "vacuum carbon fiber"...which is a manufacturing technique NOT employed on every carbon fiber part. It's an extra step to help ensure more uniform thickness, less "captured" air within the c/f and, ultimately, stronger-denser-lighter pieces.

Since then, all manner of erroneous info about "vacuum" has been propogated about the hood/car.

An effective extractor hood will allow otherwise-trapped air to escape, decreasing lift. Whether it's made from c/f or LEAD is irrelevant.

And, frankly, any Camaro sporting a big-ass rear blade spoiler SHOULD have an effective front splitter and/or extractor hood to stabilize and maintain the balance of the overall car, front-to-rear. Tall blade spoilers capture more air which then pushes down on the rear which, without a counterbalance, will LIFT the front...think "fulcrum", or "teeter-totter"...

Admittedly, correct aero is less of an issue at legal highway speeds...but for those wanting to "Maxton Mile" their ZL1s, you'll be very happy GM spent some time in the 'tunnel.

Just like the erroneous info being propogated about the use of summer-only tires by people with little/no first-hand experience in serious winter conditions, be they temperature- or snow-related. Wrong tire choice could cost you your ride...and worse...

All very good info and commentary!!
Old 12-28-2011, 06:40 PM   #80
htron50

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Status "Thank You!"
Quote:

I love learning! Thanks LOWDOWN.
htron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 07:01 PM   #81
mr02Z/28

Drives: 2002 Z/28,1968 Chevelle convert.
Don't be wimpy afraid of the cold weather !!!!!!! This car is going to make a statement and you shouldn't let a set of tires frighten you guys... Buy a set of All Season Performers if you are that worried and honestly those that say they are gonna use a ZL1 as a Daily Driver are full of BS.... and are they really gonna cover Powertrain/Drivetrain warranties if you race at the Track and you break something ????
mr02Z/28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 07:07 PM   #82
htron50

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Status "Thank You!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr02Z/28 View Post
Don't be wimpy afraid of the cold weather !!!!!!! This car is going to make a statement and you shouldn't let a set of tires frighten you guys... Buy a set of All Season Performers if you are that worried and honestly those that say they are gonna use a ZL1 as a Daily Driver are full of BS.... and are they really gonna cover Powertrain/Drivetrain warranties if you race at the Track and you break something ????
Uhm..... It never hurts to ask.
htron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 07:14 PM   #83
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr02Z/28 View Post
Don't be wimpy afraid of the cold weather !!!!!!! This car is going to make a statement and you shouldn't let a set of tires frighten you guys...
These tires, on this car, in the winter...should frighten everybody!

Buy a set of All Season Performers if you are that worried
Do you know of anybody that produces a 305/20 All-Season?

and honestly those that say they are gonna use a ZL1 as a Daily Driver are full of BS....
I'd be one of those. And "honestly"...I'm not full of BS.

and are they really gonna cover Powertrain/Drivetrain warranties if you race at the Track and you break something ????
It would have to break first, wouldn't it? Seriously though...they've never covered damage suffered at a HPDE. Considering the track-testing this car endured...maybe this could change?
Old 12-28-2011, 07:16 PM   #84
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Dragoneye, where's your LOCK?