Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-10-2013, 07:43 AM   #1
snymat68

Drives: 2013 Blue Ray 1LS M6
Exclamation Blizzaks and Limited Slip to the Rescue! (My Interesting Drive to Work Today)

I was on my way to work this morning and it was snowing. The secondary roads weren't yet plowed or salted and traffic was packing down the snow. I came around an uphill bend and had to stop because, about 60' ahead, there was a Pepsi big-rig sideways across the road. He wasn't moving, but was blocking the road. I looked in the rear-view and at least 5 cars had stopped behind me. When I looked forward again, the truck was sliding down the hill toward me. Granted it was sliding very slowly, but it was coming at me nonetheless. So I fed some gas and the traction control was trying to do its thing and keep me from slipping on the packed snow. I was facing uphill so I wasn't going anywhere. So I shut off the TC in a hurry and (Blizzaks and limited slip to the rescue) chewed through the snow enough to get moving. I did a movie-worthy sideways 180 and got the heck outta there. The rear end of the trailer hit the embankment and came to a stop without hitting anyone else, but I wasn't about to be the stooge that just sat there and let it hit me.

+1 for Camaro with limited slip & Blizzaks!
Elite Catch Can | CAI Intake with Scoop & Washer Bottle Relocation | MRT v2 Axle-Back Exhaust | MagnaFlow Resonated X-Pipe | Resonator Delete | Vmax Ported Throttle Body | GM Strut Tower Brace | JDP Tow Hook | Vitesse Throttle Controller
Aesthetic Mods
Chrome Peek-A-Boo Door Handles | Interior Accessories Kit | OEM RS HIDs w/ 6000k Bulbs & 5000k LED Fogs | Tail Light, Marker Light, & Turn Signal Tint | Tru-Sequence Sequential Turn Signals & Brake Lights | Silver Fade Gill Stripes | Carbon Fiber Bowties | Various Chrome/Painted/Carbon Fiber Items

Last edited by snymat68; 12-10-2013 at 09:34 AM.
snymat68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:57 AM   #2
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Nice move - quick thinking!
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 10:41 AM   #3
scoticus.rex
LTC, USA

Drives: Hobbes - 2013 Camaro 2SS RS M6
Being inexperienced driving in snow (native Floridian), it would not have occurred to me to turn of the TC. Thanks for sharing, I will add that one to my slowly growing, snow driving tool kit.

~Rex

Hobbes - 2013 Camaro 2SS RS M6
scoticus.rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 10:56 AM   #4
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
Wow! Good thinking fast! Glad it worked out for ya.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:01 AM   #5
Silverlsinva

Drives: 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth Grigio
Yes people turn off T/c in snow cause it kills your momentum and keeps from having a bit of slip and friction t get going but awesome thinking on your part.
Silverlsinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 02:37 PM   #6
not
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro 2SS/RS
This global warming is really a buzzkill.
not is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 03:04 PM   #7
Phillyone

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS Silver/Black Stripes
Has anyone gone up a big hill with Blizzaks? So many on my 2 mile drive to work lol

Purchased August 2013
Phillyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:17 PM   #8
IkoIko
IkoIko

Drives: '12 2SS 6MT Victory Red
Send a message via AIM to IkoIko
Blizzaks and Limited Slip to the Rescue! (My Interesting Drive to Work Today)

[QUOTE=snymat68;7250780] I shut off the TC in a hurry and (Blizzaks and limited slip to the rescue) chewed through the snow enough to get moving.

Happy that you avoided injury and proud of you for knowing your car that well.
IkoIko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:38 PM   #9
snymat68

Drives: 2013 Blue Ray 1LS M6
It was somewhere on these forums that I once read about the TC thing, so I guess I have the great knowledge base that is Camaro5 for saving my butt today! That and my countless hours on this site. And my wife says I don't read enough.
Elite Catch Can | CAI Intake with Scoop & Washer Bottle Relocation | MRT v2 Axle-Back Exhaust | MagnaFlow Resonated X-Pipe | Resonator Delete | Vmax Ported Throttle Body | GM Strut Tower Brace | JDP Tow Hook | Vitesse Throttle Controller
Aesthetic Mods
Chrome Peek-A-Boo Door Handles | Interior Accessories Kit | OEM RS HIDs w/ 6000k Bulbs & 5000k LED Fogs | Tail Light, Marker Light, & Turn Signal Tint | Tru-Sequence Sequential Turn Signals & Brake Lights | Silver Fade Gill Stripes | Carbon Fiber Bowties | Various Chrome/Painted/Carbon Fiber Items
snymat68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 06:42 AM   #10
xnuyokr

Drives: 2012 1LT Drop Top
Nothing like a happy ending! Nice!
Old 12-12-2013, 06:55 AM   #11
6bangerBOOM

Drives: 2016 1SS SW
Gah the north sounds terrifying.
6bangerBOOM is offline   Reply With Quote