Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-09-2013, 10:54 AM   #15
strych9
I'll be back...

Drives: Subaru, HD Road Glide Special
Quote:
Originally Posted by sangerbanger58 View Post
I usually go in when my information center tells me to get an oil change lol
...and that's all you need to do. People don't want to believe it, but full-synthetic oil is good to 15k miles. That was the the oil change interval for my Porsche, and it called for Mobil 1.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:56 AM   #16
Ringo64
Forever Pontiac

Drives: 2012 Black 2SS/RS
Being a garage queen, mine is rather low on mileage but my dealer will give me a free one every 6 months
Ringo64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:40 AM   #17
djm96z28

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by strych9 View Post
...and that's all you need to do. People don't want to believe it, but full-synthetic oil is good to 15k miles. That was the the oil change interval for my Porsche, and it called for Mobil 1.

Is the Dexos that's in the 2012's and newer good for that long? Dealer told me with any oil change maintenance programs that might have been purchased or agreed upon, they use the same kind of oil that the car came with from the factory. So with my 2012, they don't want to use Mobile 1 even though they carry it. They will use the Dexos.
djm96z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 01:38 AM   #18
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
1st oil change should be with in 500 miles. All fluids should be changed within 2000 miles. GM wont tell you that because some customers will be put off by it. Take a look at your drain plugs even with 1500 miles on them. they will be covered in shavings. I changed all of mine with 1500 miles on it. Even regular oil is good well over the 3000 mile mark. my 67 f250 had a 6000 mile interval. ad men decided they can make more money if they tell you to change it at 3000 miles. oil has come along way since then. I use Amsoil. Has 25,000 mile or 1yr change interval. 15,000 for the filter.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 02:17 AM   #19
FL1CK
Switchin' n Twitchin'

Drives: 2011 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by djm96z28 View Post
Is the Dexos that's in the 2012's and newer good for that long? Dealer told me with any oil change maintenance programs that might have been purchased or agreed upon, they use the same kind of oil that the car came with from the factory. So with my 2012, they don't want to use Mobile 1 even though they carry it. They will use the Dexos.
Dexos isn't a brand of oil
Old 08-10-2013, 02:30 AM   #20
JCunningham

Quote:
Originally Posted by djm96z28 View Post
dexos is a specification. dexos from the dealer is just the lowest bidder semi synthetic. All Full synthetic oil exceeds the dexos specification. They will not put more expensive oil in for free.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
Old 08-10-2013, 02:33 AM   #21
FL1CK
Switchin' n Twitchin'

Drives: 2011 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
dexos is a specification. dexos from the dealer is just the lowest bidder semi synthetic. All Full synthetic oil exceeds the dexos specification. They will not put more expensive oil in for free.
In other words...
Old 08-10-2013, 02:41 AM   #22
JCunningham

Dealers will also try to tell you using anything but dexos labeled oil will void your warranty. Not true. as long as its semi synthetic it meets or exceeds the dexos spec. If you put non synthetic in it will void your warranty.
Old 08-10-2013, 12:21 PM   #23
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Glad you finally had a good visit. I have never had a bad experience at a dealership. Maybe I am more selective than others, but most times I get what I need. I know many of you think they are suppose to be car Godz and be able to diagnose every random squeek and rattle by placing hands on the car and feeling its pain. But, they are human just like the rest of us, and sometimes things baffle them as much as it does us. Remember, these guys n gals that work on your car are union, and unions have a set way of doing things...mostly by what "The Book" says. Not to mention, they have to deal with the anal nut jobz, demanding the second they walk in the door. I have found that meeting the service manager gives you a chance to feel out the "vibe" of the service department.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote