Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 01:20 AM   #29
AlSuwaidi

Drives: BLACK LS3 GCC-Spec
how did you find this thread to revive it! its sooo old!
Old 05-18-2010, 01:36 AM   #30
two_wheel_mayhem
Would rather be riding

Drives: No car no more
They did screw the pooch with the IRS for the straight line guys. I remember when Ford tried it with their Mustang Cobra, and same deal..nothing but trouble when trying to get it to holeshot well.

I like the IRS, but I dont care to drag race or worry about hard launches.

IRS sucks for drag racing, say what you will it can be made better or whatever.

Not worth the trouble if all you want is a straight line car.
Old 05-18-2010, 01:36 AM   #31
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
man, y'all're gettin bored! this is the umpteenth super-necro i've seen in 5 minutes!!
Samson ('18 HD): compounded 408
Old 05-18-2010, 08:32 AM   #32
superdave99

Drives: 2010 1SS CGM L99
Where were you in 2006?!
Old 05-18-2010, 09:11 AM   #33
Berean

Drives: Truck
Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 Wild Mouse View Post

When I "ordered" my 69. It was was one of a few that had "deleted" options. I ordered the car with the "front air dam" deleted and the "rear spoiler" deleted. Ordered 410 gears, Vinyl Roof, upgraded interior, delete guages. I never seen another one like it.

If GM is planning on only building 100,000 of these they better make it so we can order one that is as special now, as it was then.

The OP has a point here. I'd love to see GM go back to the old days when you could actually order what you want.

I would have ordered an LS with a 6.2 if that were an option.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:22 AM   #34
RSHugger

Drives: 1969 RS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berean View Post
The OP has a point here. I'd love to see GM go back to the old days when you could actually order what you want.

I would have ordered an LS with a 6.2 if that were an option.
Keep in mind that times have changed... they have changed A LOT. It costs money for a manufacturer to offer multiple options for a car. The Camaro is successful right now for the options it offers... and GM is reaping that benefit. As FBodfather states you can't make everyone happy all of the time... and then those who aren't initially happy they will typically warm up to the idea later. The Camaro can be personalized any way you want it once you get it into your garage. Please don't try to burden GM with trying to make everyone happy... they are doing a great job making a lot of people happy.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:28 AM   #35
AdnanHfuda

Drives: none :(
THE THREAD IS DEAD PEOPLE!!! let it rest in peace
Old 05-18-2010, 09:30 AM   #36
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6

Must have been one hell of a search to dig one up almost 4 years old.

Old 05-18-2010, 09:32 AM   #37
Berean

Drives: Truck
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSHugger View Post
Keep in mind that times have changed... they have changed A LOT. It costs money for a manufacturer to offer multiple options for a car. The Camaro is successful right now for the options it offers... and GM is reaping that benefit. As FBodfather states you can't make everyone happy all of the time... and then those who aren't initially happy they will typically warm up to the idea later. The Camaro can be personalized any way you want it once you get it into your garage. Please don't try to burden GM with trying to make everyone happy... they are doing a great job making a lot of people happy.

Well sure you can make everyone happy. Let them order what they want. GM can get away with selling option "packages" because buying a car is a singular event that doesn't happen that often and customers are willing to buy stuff they don't really want or do without, which is exactly why GM operates that way.

If most business used this model, they'd quickly go out of business with the attitude "we can't make everyone happy".

McDonalds "Yes sir, our Big Mac option package comes with pickles, mustard and fries."

Customer "I don't want fries"

McDonalds "No problem sir. We have a plain Big Mac basic option"

Customer "I don't want a plain Big Mac. I want pickles and ketchup"

McDonald "No problem sir. We have our fully loaded 2LT Mac. It has everything you want but it does include fries."

Customer "I just want a Big Mac with pickles and ketchup."

McDonalds "I'm sorry sir, what you're asking for is something only 2% of our customers would buy and it would be too expensive for us to make a Big Mac that way"

Customer "Never mind"

McDonalds "I'm sorry sir but you can't expect us to make every customer happy."
Old 05-18-2010, 09:54 AM   #38
esperman
You Can Call Me Jay

Drives: 2010 1LT RJT Manual w/CAI & Solo
um...yeah....
Old 05-18-2010, 10:07 AM   #39
wylde1
I am the Stig

Drives: Black w/ IOM stripe 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berean View Post
Well sure you can make everyone happy. Let them order what they want. GM can get away with selling option "packages" because buying a car is a singular event that doesn't happen that often and customers are willing to buy stuff they don't really want or do without, which is exactly why GM operates that way.

If most business used this model, they'd quickly go out of business with the attitude "we can't make everyone happy".

McDonalds "Yes sir, our Big Mac option package comes with pickles, mustard and fries."

Customer "I don't want fries"

McDonalds "No problem sir. We have a plain Big Mac basic option"

Customer "I don't want a plain Big Mac. I want pickles and ketchup"

McDonald "No problem sir. We have our fully loaded 2LT Mac. It has everything you want but it does include fries."

Customer "I just want a Big Mac with pickles and ketchup."

McDonalds "I'm sorry sir, what you're asking for is something only 2% of our customers would buy and it would be too expensive for us to make a Big Mac that way"

Customer "Never mind"

McDonalds "I'm sorry sir but you can't expect us to make every customer happy."

I see the point your trying to make there... but we're not talking about a $3 big mac here. and there is no design work to remove fries from the package or extra tooling involved.

to re-engineer and stock all the parts to have something like a solid rear axle option.... your talking tens of millions of dollars alone. then factor in the extra space in a shop it takes to store these parts, how much longer it will take to build each car if they had so many options "the way you like it". now your talking HUNDREDS of millions. which would be spread out over the range to re-coup those costs making everyones cars more expensive. It's a MUCH better business decision to build a car that makes MOST people happy, and let the ones who aren't happy spend their own money to make it what they want. You can't have a custom car from an assembly line, that company would be out of business in a heartbeat.

gotta love zombie threads!
Old 05-18-2010, 10:12 AM   #40
tangorover

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2LT Summit White
Holy crap I didnt realize this thread was from 3 years ago :-)
Old 05-18-2010, 10:15 AM   #41
AdnanHfuda

Drives: none :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangorover View Post
Holy crap I didnt realize this thread was from 3 years ago :-)
4 dude
Old 05-18-2010, 10:16 AM   #42
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by wylde1 View Post
I see the point your trying to make there... but we're not talking about a $3 big mac here. and there is no design work to remove fries from the package or extra tooling involved.

to re-engineer and stock all the parts to have something like a solid rear axle option.... your talking tens of millions of dollars alone. then factor in the extra space in a shop it takes to store these parts, how much longer it will take to build each car if they had so many options "the way you like it". now your talking HUNDREDS of millions. which would be spread out over the range to re-coup those costs making everyones cars more expensive. It's a MUCH better business decision to build a car that makes MOST people happy, and let the ones who aren't happy spend their own money to make it what they want. You can't have a custom car from an assembly line, that company would be out of business in a heartbeat.

gotta love zombie threads!
Don't forget the crash and safety tests that have to be run! Not cheap.

In the "old days" they didn't have very costly emissions tests/certifications to pass, crash safety tests to pass, nor had they just filed bankruptcy. There was also ZERO competition from foreign manufacturers.

They can't do things the old way because the old days are gone.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM

Closed Thread