Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Northwest / Pacific Northwest

Old 08-06-2013, 02:52 AM   #1
With envy
It's a Synergy thing..

Drives: 2010 Synergy
After Wally's Cruise

If you are attending the Wally's Drive-In meet this Saturday, would you be interested in going on a cruise afterward?

Back in March there was some interest in a cruise that would take place right after the Meet at Wally's breaks up. The cruise would obviously start out from Wally's in Buckley, but there was no consensus on the duration or destination of the cruise.

Here is part of that discussion:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXR View Post
Looks fun . How about a cruise up to Sunrise on Mt Rainier after the meet ?
That's a good idea, actually. We have discussed a few suggestions for after-event cruises, since Buckley is a pretty good jumping off point to a few destinations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForgedReality View Post
That takes forever. Better meet at 8am then...
Not really. The entrance to Sunrise is just a little ways past the entrance to Crystal Mt. Ski Resort. Google maps puts it at an hour and a half and 58 miles to the visitor center. I've driven 410 quite a few times, and it always seems quicker than that. (Unless you get behind a motor home, or Subaru going 15 under.) Might be the scenery.
A less known, but even closer entrance to Mt. Rainier is the Carbon River Ranger Station, out past Carbonado. It's only about 18 miles, and Google says 50 minutes. The nice part about this little run is plenty of twisties along the way.
And speaking of Crystal Mt., they are open during the Summer. You can take a tram ride up to a lookout with a restaurant and outdoor cafe that overlooks Mt. Rainier. The Pacific NW Camaro Club will be doing another cruise there the weekend after the Wally's meet (Aug 17).

Sunday, Dragonlady and I drove the route up to the Carbon River Ranger Station. The trip takes less than an hour, and has some nice points, but keeping in mind that it would involve a number of cars, we realized that it probably would not be suitable for a cruise. I would recommend it for a quick trip if you want to kill an afternoon on your own. There are some interesting things to see and some nice twisties.
With that being said, I think staying on HWY 410 and going in the direction of Chinook Pass would be the best bet. The destination would be the only question mark. It all depends on how far you want to go, and what you'd like to see.

Name:  Mt Rainier map 01.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  163.6 KB

Wally's is located right on 410, and once you get past Enumclaw, keeping a Camarovan together is pretty easy. Shortly after you pass through Greenwater (although there are places you can stop there, too.) the first possible destination you will come to is the entrance to Crystal Mountain Resort. You can park there and walk around and take pictures, or you can pay to ride the tram to the top of the mountain. The view of Mt. Rainier is breathtaking from there. It's as if you can reach out and touch it.
Sunrise Visitor Center, Mt Rainier National Park is another destination you can reach further down the road. I've never been there, so I don't really know anything about it, other than what I've heard. Once again, it's a national park, so be prepared to pay. Google says 1 hour, 28 minutes
Chinook Pass is about one hour from Buckley. (About the same time and distance as Crystal Mountain, when you include the road up to the resort. )There's roadside parking there, a nice little lake and an alpine meadow. The lake was still frozen when we went through on our way back from Sturgis, just before the Fourth of July. Perhaps it will be Spring there now, and all the flowers will be blooming. Dunno.
Staying on 410 past the pass will take you to Whistlin' Jack (a well-known restaurant along the way). Anything beyond that, and you're pretty much going to Yakima. If you take the cutoff before the pass, you will be on the route that will take you around Mt Rainier, and the next town will be Packwood.
If you do go up 410, I have a route that will circumvent Enumclaw (the green line on the map above), and will take you to Mud Mountain Dam before connecting to 410 just above Enumclaw. I tried to take a Camarovan through there a few months ago, but got mired in some annual bike race.

These are just some suggestions based on what I do know about the area. I know there are people out there that know a lot more than I do, and might have some ideas that I haven't touched on. Brengeek and MXR have been working to give this thing some legs, so help them out and post if you are interested in going on a cruise, and what your ideas might be, or what you'd like to see and do.
I've said before that Buckley is a good jumping-off point, and a cruise would be a nice way to cap the day. Hope to see you all there at Wally's Drive-in this Saturday starting at 11:00.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=282025

With envy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:37 AM   #2
Merc
In The Circle

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS IOM M6
I could be up for that.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:19 AM   #3
brengeek
Not a dude.

Drives: 2012 45th 2ss/rs
Squee!!!
Old 08-06-2013, 03:44 PM   #4
camaroguy2010

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Old 08-09-2013, 11:30 AM   #5
MXR

Drives: 13 ZL1 JDP 850
We could do both Chinook Pass and Sunrise . They are close to each other and both are awesome drives.
MXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:43 AM   #6
MXR

Wally's to Chinook Pass 48 miles ... 1 hour

Chinook Pass to Sunrise 22 miles ... 50 minutes
Old 08-09-2013, 11:49 AM   #7
Wabbit

Drives: 2013 2LT/RS SIM/Grey lnt/Sun/Nav
Quote:
Originally Posted by MXR View Post
Wally's to Chinook Pass 48 miles ... 1 hour

Chinook Pass to Sunrise 22 miles ... 50 minutes
Yes, but you forgot the Camaro factor

As long as there is no traffic...
Wally's to Chinook = 15 minutes
Chinook to Sunrise = 12 minutes
Ambient Lighting - Saving my $$$ now
Wabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:59 AM   #8
MXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabbit View Post
Yes, but you forgot the Camaro factor

As long as there is no traffic...
Wally's to Chinook = 15 minutes
Chinook to Sunrise = 12 minutes
If your having too much fun there is usually some kind of law against it .

That would be a kick @$$ drive with no traffic .