Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 04-12-2012, 06:50 PM   #1
TCAT

Drives: Has Wheels
SCT versus HP Tuning

I am getting my car retuned in the next month or two, and need to decide which tuning software (or device) to use this time around.

When I had my Turbo installed, it was custom tuned via HP Tuning. I am using a different tuner this time around who is well known and reliable. I have been told that he uses SCT and HP Tuning. However, he prefers to tune via HP with most GM cars, but it was explained that either will do the job just fine.

Now, the main benefit of SCT for me is that I can store multiple maps on the SCT programmer since it's handheld, and I want to be able to have a tune that is safe for a car with CATS, and then another for without. This allows me to switch maps easily when it's time for Smogging the vehicle. I would be able to load the tune for stock cats after I put the stock ones back on and drive to the SMOG shop, and then use the other tune after I change out the CATS. The downside is the cost of the programmer in addition to the price of the custom tune I'm getting in a dynojet.

The HP tuning software is very widely used, reliable, and I have had the car tuned with it before. Now, the bad thing is that I can't switch maps like I would want in this case, and I would have to get the car reflashed with a new tune since there is no programmer. That would be more of a pain obviously.

Now, the real question is, can some of you tuning experts (and anyone with experience or great knowledge with the two types of software) explain some of the differences in terms of tuning potential, settings capability, and positives or negatives of using each type of software. I've searched some threads and found some useful info, but I would still like some more in depth opinions and factual information.

Thank you!
TCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:07 PM   #2
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCAT View Post
I am getting my car retuned in the next month or two, and need to decide which tuning software (or device) to use this time around.

When I had my Turbo installed, it was custom tuned via HP Tuning. I am using a different tuner this time around who is well known and reliable. I have been told that he uses SCT and HP Tuning. However, he prefers to tune via HP with most GM cars, but it was explained that either will do the job just fine.

Now, the main benefit of SCT for me is that I can store multiple maps on the SCT programmer since it's handheld, and I want to be able to have a tune that is safe for a car with CATS, and then another for without. This allows me to switch maps easily when it's time for Smogging the vehicle. I would be able to load the tune for stock cats after I put the stock ones back on and drive to the SMOG shop, and then use the other tune after I change out the CATS. The downside is the cost of the programmer in addition to the price of the custom tune I'm getting in a dynojet.

The HP tuning software is very widely used, reliable, and I have had the car tuned with it before. Now, the bad thing is that I can't switch maps like I would want in this case, and I would have to get the car reflashed with a new tune since there is no programmer. That would be more of a pain obviously.

Now, the real question is, can some of you tuning experts (and anyone with experience or great knowledge with the two types of software) explain some of the differences in terms of tuning potential, settings capability, and positives or negatives of using each type of software. I've searched some threads and found some useful info, but I would still like some more in depth opinions and factual information.

Thank you!
I have used HP Tuners almost as long as they have been around, along with just about every other tuning software out there and every different vehicle.

HPtuners is Great software and has it's Positives and negatives like everything else.

I have been using SCT since 03 on Fords 08 on Dodge and Jan 10 on GMs so I have a choice.

Currently there is a Critical Injector Variable not accessible in HPtuners that is accessible in SCT so this alone is enough of a reason to use SCT over HP on this car.

HPtuners for the E-38 is Still Beta so there are Bugs still to work out.

I tune 4-6 Gen5s a day with SCT Both in my shop and around the world, and it just Works So Well.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:16 AM   #3
TCAT

Thanks a ton Ted. I really appreciate your professional opinion. I'm going to start looking into the different methods of SCT tuning such as just buying an SCT handheld programmer, or I've heard you can now download and store maps in an iPhone SCT App, and upload it to the car via special dongle that purchased. I have no experience with SCT, so I have a lot of research to do. I think you made me sway a bit to the SCT side.

What exactly is the Critical Injector Variable used for in the SCT program?
Old 04-13-2012, 08:48 AM   #4
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Thanks a ton Ted. I really appreciate your professional opinion. I'm going to start looking into the different methods of SCT tuning such as just buying an SCT handheld programmer, or I've heard you can now download and store maps in an iPhone SCT App, and upload it to the car via special dongle that purchased. I have no experience with SCT, so I have a lot of research to do. I think you made me sway a bit to the SCT side.

What exactly is the Critical Injector Variable used for in the SCT program?
Min Pulse width limit must be lowered with larger injectors, this is a variable in your computer that needs to be adjusted accordingly.

HP does not show it but SCT Does.

Ted.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:52 PM   #5
TCAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
Min Pulse width limit must be lowered with larger injectors, this is a variable in your computer that needs to be adjusted accordingly.

HP does not show it but SCT Does.

Ted.
That's interesting. Thanks Ted. If HP does not have that option, how are tuners adjusting settings for all the different types of injectors available? This brings back some points in my other thread. If I go with the larger ID850's, would that mean that SCT is necessary to tune the car properly for those injectors, since HP can't? This is all new to me, and I'm learning a ton. Thanks for the information and being patient, haha.
Old 04-13-2012, 01:34 PM   #6
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
That's interesting. Thanks Ted. If HP does not have that option, how are tuners adjusting settings for all the different types of injectors available? This brings back some points in my other thread. If I go with the larger ID850's, would that mean that SCT is necessary to tune the car properly for those injectors, since HP can't? This is all new to me, and I'm learning a ton. Thanks for the information and being patient, haha.
I had a customer come back from 2009 that I originally tuned with HP, so I figured I would just retune it with HP.

I added a supercharger system and ID-850s, and I have done hundreds just like it with SCT.

I was struggling with an extremely rich condition on start up and that injector variable was the culprit.

I found it by uploading the HP file with SCT and Looking at the injector settings, that one was stock.

I Returned the car to stock, Uploaded stock and tuned the car with SCT, and the car was Perfect.

I then uploaded my SCT tune with HP just to see If I could find that variable and it was no where to be found.

Ted.
Old 04-13-2012, 01:53 PM   #7
SRT10KLLR

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Using HPT you can have as many tunes as you wish and switch as often as you like. You have to have the hardware(hand held unit) to do so. I store dozens of tunes on my laptop and reflash at the track sometimes.

I am not up to date on HPT right now but with EFI-Live you can store the tunes on SD(memory) stick and reflash with no need for a computer.
SRT10KLLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:25 PM   #8
Tampa Tuning
Account Suspended

Drives: TAMPA TUNING FACEBOOK & INSTAGRAM
For those that use HP Tuners software, the Short pulse adder and Minimum injector pulse are found under the fuel tab on the general tab. Its in the middle of the page just above injector timing.

Ive been using HP Tuner's BETA for years and it works fine. You can download their latest BETA for free on the HP Tuners website.

Ive made improvements on SCT tunes, and Ted has made improvments on HP Tuners tunes. Id ask your tuner which tuning software he feels most comfortible tuning with, and let him use it.

The gains from either programs are less from the software and more the skill of the tuner.
Tampa Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:28 PM   #9
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa Tuning View Post
For those that use HP Tuners software, the Short pulse adder and Minimum injector pulse are found under the fuel tab on the general tab. Its in the middle of the page just above injector timing.

Ive been using HP Tuner's BETA for years and it works fine. You can download their latest BETA for free on the HP Tuners website.

Ive made improvements on SCT tunes, and Ted has made improvments on HP Tuners tunes. Id ask your tuner which tuning software he feels most comfortible tuning with, and let him use it.

The gains from either programs are less from the software and more the skill of the tuner.
Trust me Phil it is NOT there.
There is a Scaler (Another Short Pulse Limiter) that is NOT there in HPtuners.

I uploaded my tune after I fixed it with SCT and compared it to the stock read and it showed NO difference.

Ted.
Old 04-13-2012, 02:54 PM   #10
SRT10KLLR

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Is this the table you are talking about Phil?

Maybe Ted is talking about a different one that is only in SCT.
Attached Images

SRT10KLLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:56 PM   #11
pyr0b0y
need....more....hp

Drives: The Neighbor Hater

Mast Motorsports Built LS3 Stroker 418, IPS GT35R Twin Turbos, Exedy GTO4XD Twin Disc Clutch, Aeromotive A1000 Eliminator Stealth Fuel Pump, AEM Meth Injection, DSS 1400hp Axels, BC Coilovers, Pfadt & BMR Suspension, Hawk HPS Pads, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Hurst Shifter, Custom Roll Cage by Blu808, T3 Ports, 22" Custom Concave Mesh Rims
pyr0b0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 03:57 PM   #12
JANNETTYRACING

This is the one not in HP.

This Value has to be reduced to .125 for the car to run right on start up.
Attached Images

Old 04-13-2012, 04:47 PM   #13
TCAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
I had a customer come back from 2009 that I originally tuned with HP, so I figured I would just retune it with HP.

I added a supercharger system and ID-850s, and I have done hundreds just like it with SCT.

I was struggling with an extremely rich condition on start up and that injector variable was the culprit.

I found it by uploading the HP file with SCT and Looking at the injector settings, that one was stock.

I Returned the car to stock, Uploaded stock and tuned the car with SCT, and the car was Perfect.

I then uploaded my SCT tune with HP just to see If I could find that variable and it was no where to be found.

Ted.
Thanks for clarifying Ted. That makes perfect sense. I'm definitely going to talk to my tuner about it as well to see if he is aware of this difference in setting between the two programs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT10KLLR View Post
Using HPT you can have as many tunes as you wish and switch as often as you like. You have to have the hardware(hand held unit) to do so. I store dozens of tunes on my laptop and reflash at the track sometimes.

I am not up to date on HPT right now but with EFI-Live you can store the tunes on SD(memory) stick and reflash with no need for a computer.
I never knew this at all. Thanks! So, HP tuning has their own hand held unit like SCT does??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa Tuning View Post

Thanks a ton. I really appreciate all the input and advice. This is all useful information to bring up to my tuner, and see what he thinks, and what he's comfortable with.

All you guys in this thread are the best.
Old 04-13-2012, 04:51 PM   #14
bluetorp

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM M6
Yeah, it's right here.