Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-10-2009, 07:04 PM   #1
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
ARH LT's or SLP LT's?

I have SLP Loudmouth II's axle back but the rest is stock. I have heard and read that you can't go wrong with ARH. What about the SLP LT's with their high flow cats and X pipe? They will mate up perfectly with my LM II's and the headers are ceramic coated inside and out. I understand that the ceramic coating will help with exhaust scavanging and will help to keep under hood temps down but are they equal in performance to ARH? Price is very close between the 2. Any comments? Maybe ARH and SLP can chime in on my question!
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 08:28 PM   #2
NAHURRY
Love's to Detail

Drives: 2010 SS,97silverado/08crewcab
Bump for replys
NAHURRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 08:35 PM   #3
chevyss
SS/RS

Drives: 2010 SS/RS IOM w/blk stripes A6
Installed ARH headers to stock t/pipes and mufflers. Very happy with them. Just got to get it tuned and install CAI.
chevyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 08:38 PM   #4
Melson

Drives: Wild Cherry
I also installed the AR Headers with a ADM tune, ADM intake and magnaflows 3 inch system.

2010 RJT 2SS/RS L99 CAMARO
ARH 1 7/8" LT HEADERS W/ HF CATS
MAGNAFLOW 3" COMP EXHAUST
ADM PERFORMANCE CAI
ADM PERFORMANCE CUSTOM TUNE
ADM PERFORMANCE PORTED THROTTLE BODY
ADM PERFORMANCE TRANS COOLER
3.45 GEARS
BMR TRAILING ARMS
Melson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 09:08 PM   #5
PatrickfromMD

Drives: Buick Enclave/Corvette/2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmike View Post
I have SLP Loudmouth II's axle back but the rest is stock. I have heard and read that you can't go wrong with ARH. What about the SLP LT's with their high flow cats and X pipe? They will mate up perfectly with my LM II's and the headers are ceramic coated inside and out. I understand that the ceramic coating will help with exhaust scavanging and will help to keep under hood temps down but are they equal in performance to ARH? Price is very close between the 2. Any comments? Maybe ARH and SLP can chime in on my question!

Our situation was much the same. I had the powerflows and thought the complete SLP system would be a nice end to end solution, so that is what I did. As of last week, I have the SLP longtube, powerflow x pipe and powerflow axleback. I do really like the sound. Its relatively quiet at idle and roars at WOT.
As for performance, I have heard many of the things you have, plus the argument that the smaller primaries are better for low end torque, but not seen anyone post a direct comparison. I have heard that Matt at tune Time has had both systems on their test car back to back. Perhaps he has some numbers he can share.

***56K miles and still going strong***
2SS/RS IOM ext w/cyber grey stripes, tinted windows, IO int Auto
ProTorque prototype Converter, Chuck Mosello of Westchester Corvettes Custom Tune
T&T installed SLP Longtubes, Powerflow X Pipe, and Powerflow axle back
JL 10W3 in custom side sub box, new door tweeters, Alpine 5ch 600 watt
T&T configured ACS front Fascia w/ heritage grill, splitter, dual color halos, , led markers, taillight bezels , all accented in CGM
Gary Custom Z vented fenders. Vararam ver 2
PatrickfromMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 09:16 PM   #6
BigHemiSrt
Account Suspended

Drives: 07 Dodge Charger SRT8
FWIW, I do not own a Camaro but I do own a 6.1 Hemi and I have 1 7/8 ARH and love them. I know its kind of irrelevant since it is a Hemi but I just thought id chime in and let you know that you cant go wrong with ARH.Kooks is also a GREAT header!
BigHemiSrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 09:35 PM   #7
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickfromMD View Post
Our situation was much the same. I had the powerflows and thought the complete SLP system would be a nice end to end solution, so that is what I did. As of last week, I have the SLP longtube, powerflow x pipe and powerflow axleback. I do really like the sound. Its relatively quiet at idle and roars at WOT.
As for performance, I have heard many of the things you have, plus the argument that the smaller primaries are better for low end torque, but not seen anyone post a direct comparison. I have heard that Matt at tune Time has had both systems on their test car back to back. Perhaps he has some numbers he can share.
That would be great if Matt could post results! I like the fact that the SLP's are ceramic coated but I would like to see comparison numbers before deciding.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:41 PM   #8
RBD

Drives: 2013 SS/RS Convertible
With out a doubt go with the ARH............
RBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 10:15 AM   #9
A.R. Headers

Drives: Pontiac G8 GT
Guys, We don't coat our systems because we don't need to. We use 100% U.S. made 304 S/S which by design holds the heat extremely well. Underhood temps or corrosion are never an issue. Compare all the features and build quality between systems and make your choice. I assure you ARH won't disappoint.

Nick
A.R. Headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 10:26 AM   #10
Matt TuneTime

Drives: 2008 G8 gt / 2010 Camaro L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmike View Post
That would be great if Matt could post results! I like the fact that the SLP's are ceramic coated but I would like to see comparison numbers before deciding.
I can't post the graph but I can tell you that ARH collector design is worth about 18-22ft lbs of tq from 3900-5200 rpm over the SLP LT's ... ... Keep in mind this is on a L99 with Stage 1 DOD Cam ...
Matt TuneTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 10:37 AM   #11
NicKey

Drives: Nickey Super Camaro
American Racing headers builds the Special edition headers we use for all the Nickey Super Camaro projects, The Fred Gibb ZL1s as well as The Clary's of yenko.net's 2010 427 Yenko SC project 5th gen.

We have done extensive dyno testing both on the engine dynos as well as the chassis dynos and we are extremely satisfied with the results compared to other systems.

Did I mention that the quality of workmanship and fit is second to none!
NicKey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 01:32 PM   #12
PatrickfromMD

Drives: Buick Enclave/Corvette/2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt TuneTime View Post
I can't post the graph but I can tell you that ARH collector design is worth about 18-22ft lbs of tq from 3900-5200 rpm over the SLP LT's ... ... Keep in mind this is on a L99 with Stage 1 DOD Cam ...
Nick,

So what makes your collectors that different that Matt sees 18-22 more ft lbs of torque? I bought the SLPs, hmmm

Patrick

***56K miles and still going strong***
2SS/RS IOM ext w/cyber grey stripes, tinted windows, IO int Auto
ProTorque prototype Converter, Chuck Mosello of Westchester Corvettes Custom Tune
T&T installed SLP Longtubes, Powerflow X Pipe, and Powerflow axle back
JL 10W3 in custom side sub box, new door tweeters, Alpine 5ch 600 watt
T&T configured ACS front Fascia w/ heritage grill, splitter, dual color halos, , led markers, taillight bezels , all accented in CGM
Gary Custom Z vented fenders. Vararam ver 2
PatrickfromMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 01:42 PM   #13
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
If the price is about the same then I would go with what has been proven to work.

ARH
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 03:19 PM   #14
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.R. Headers View Post
Guys, We don't coat our systems because we don't need to. We use 100% U.S. made 304 S/S which by design holds the heat extremely well. Underhood temps or corrosion are never an issue. Compare all the features and build quality between systems and make your choice. I assure you ARH won't disappoint.

Nick
Thanks for your input! What are the typical hp & tq gains you have seen on your headers on an LS3?