Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-14-2013, 09:45 AM   #1
Witt51

Drives: Black 2ss
No oil pressure question.

I have 2011 ss with a ls3.My mods are tsp cam, tsp headers, ported polished heads, ud pulley, roto-fab intake, MELLING OIL PUMP.

I had the engine built about 30,000 miles ago by Chad Barton from CBI. So yesterday I took the car to the dealership to get the air conditioner TSB taken care of. I picked it up and drove less than 10 minutes home. About 2 hours later i went to go somewhere, fired the car up and no oil pressure on the gauge and the warning light was yelling at me. I think it's odd that it ran great and then all of a sudden doesn't have and pressure now. I didn't hear any loud noises, clacking or anything unusual coming from the engine. I wouldn't think the TSB wouldn't effect the oil pressure reading. So I'm hoping its the oil pressure sensor. So if anyone has any ideas or anything else to look at I would appreciate it.
Witt51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 10:02 AM   #2
BlackM6RS/SS

Drives: 2010 Black M6 RS/2SS
If you didn't hear valve train/lifter noise then most likely is the sensor.
BlackM6RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 10:28 AM   #3
Witt51

That's what I'm hoping . Would the noise be pretty obvious and noticeable? I take it the only way to know is to install the new one and fire it up?
Old 09-14-2013, 10:43 AM   #4
BlackM6RS/SS

Drives: 2010 Black M6 RS/2SS
Yes if you had 0psi oil pressure or low for light to come on, you would hear loud ticking noises which would be the top end, lifters.

There is a way to test with a mechanical gauge but I don't know how to check it like that, maybe someone who does will chime in.
BlackM6RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 11:06 AM   #5
Witt51

Ok thanks again. Like I said I haven't heard any noises or anything out of the norm. My builder is also leaning towards the sensor. I haven't really seen one having problems with the melling oil pump. Do you or anyone else have directions or know how to change it out?

I appreciate the help
Old 09-14-2013, 11:11 AM   #6
epstein
Account Suspended

Drives: SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to epstein
2 things I have discovered... If your due or close to it these sensors are fickle.... and .... These sensors are fickle...... LOL....

you can also check oil pressure at the filter but that is another story.
epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 11:17 AM   #7
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
I'd have the dealer look at it. That close to when they were working on it, mostly likely they bumped a wire or something.

If it idles normal, it has oil pressure. The lifters would be knocking like crazy without oil pressure.

Look at the very back of the intake manifold by the cowl. I think that is where the op sending unit is. See if you see any wire connections off.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 11:41 AM   #8
Witt51

I am going to call them on Monday. I'm not sure how close they would be to that plug or the wires for it while programming for the a/c. They did some body work on the hood and passenger side windshield pillar. So I'm sure they had to take the hood off and dismantle that area for painting. Would the lifter knock happen right at start up or does the engine have to idle for long? It ran long enough to go through all the self test of the gauges. I actually started it up once after that also. Never did hear the lifter knock
Old 09-14-2013, 01:28 PM   #9
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Loud knocking right away.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:10 PM   #10
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Drives: 2001 Ws6
Did they remove the intake at all that you know of? I don't know what that tsb consists of.

If so then they might have broken the sensor out back. I don't think I would EVER leave my cars at the dealer without me being there. They hire some dumb porters and I've seen them abuse cars as well. I just HOPE it's not the case here. Please keep us posted.
2001 ws6, 40k miles, Ls3 416 stroker, short block built by PER the rest by me. LPE Ls3 heads milled to 12-1 comp, FAST 102, NW 102, kooks 2", dual DMH cutouts, Magnaflow C/B, BTR cam + springs. Full UMI suspension.
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 01:13 PM   #11
dekan513
chevy pride

Drives: 2ss/rs
my car did the same but it was the oil pump. if im reading it right. drove fine to town. got a pizza walked back out started the car no oil pressure . all lights come one and i shut it off. no noise or nothing tho. but didnt start it back to see if it would start clacking . broke it down and oil pump.
it ran for a good 5 + sec. all the gauges ran over and stuff but no ticking. just my case tho.

check out ky speeds fb page https://www.facebook.com/kyspeed
dekan513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 01:17 PM   #12
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Drives: 2001 Ws6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dekan513 View Post
my car did the same but it was the oil pump. if im reading it right. drove fine to town. got a pizza walked back out started the car no oil pressure . all lights come one and i shut it off. no noise or nothing tho. but didnt start it back to see if it would start clacking . broke it down and oil pump.
it ran for a good 5 + sec. all the gauges ran over and stuff but no ticking. just my case tho.
Was it a melling?
2001 ws6, 40k miles, Ls3 416 stroker, short block built by PER the rest by me. LPE Ls3 heads milled to 12-1 comp, FAST 102, NW 102, kooks 2", dual DMH cutouts, Magnaflow C/B, BTR cam + springs. Full UMI suspension.
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 05:18 PM   #13
Witt51

^^^^ that's what I was going to ask also.

I went and bought a sensor but kind of nervous to put it on and see if that fixes it. I'm going to call the dealership tomorrow and let them know. I doubt they will do anything about it since I have done all that work and will blame it on the part. I'm not really sure what to do besides find someone in the area that has experience with these engines. I haven't heard of many melling pumps going out and mine has 30,000 miles on it. Most miles are highway miles and car has never been tracked before. Any ideas would be appriciated?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 09-15-2013, 08:53 PM   #14
redredrage

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS manual all stock
Quote:
Originally Posted by dekan513 View Post
in case you didn't know there is a tsb on the oil pump for this exact issue because of the relief valve sticking.

many have had thier oil pumps and belts replaced for this issue
redredrage is offline   Reply With Quote