Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 07-17-2013, 06:57 AM   #15
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
It's a fabricated story folks, calm down. It's from a known satirical publisher.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:05 AM   #16
Eich

Drives: '11 SW/Beige 2SS RS Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRKS1D3 View Post
It's a fabricated story folks, calm down. It's from a known satirical publisher.
I don't think the fact that it's fabricated is in question. It's just not very entertaining. Not sure why anyone would choose to write a fictional story about a suffocating child in attempt to be humorous.
Eich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:10 AM   #17
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eich View Post
I don't think the fact that it's fabricated is in question. It's just not very entertaining. Not sure why anyone would choose to write a fictional story about a suffocating child in attempt to be humorous.
you must not be familiar with the onion.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:36 AM   #18
LStick

Drives: 2021 Shadow Gray 1LS
While I usually love "the Onion", this one isn't one of their best articles.
LStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:47 AM   #19
Bell040

Drives: 2SS/RS - Black - GFX
Built: 3-30-09 (#1691)
Recieved: 6-12-09

Blacked out, Cammed (Lunati Voodoo 233/245, .578/.598 @114°, +4°), ARH LTs, VR OTR CAI, Cutouts, and lots of other fun mods.
Bell040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:48 AM   #20
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eich View Post

lol, it's not like your buddy came by and told a story he thought would be funny.

The Onion presents itself, on the surface, as a legit news source. Only when the headlines or stories are read, sometimes carefully, is the satire apparent.

In order to achieve satire (I can't believe I need to explain this), it would be necessary to have a realistic set of stories at first glance.

You would not be able to argue that tragic stories like this are not real and are not grotesque, and that they are not in real newspapers. Therefore, the Onion takes "news" of this kind and includes it in it's 'newspaper'. But the story itself is not shocking and not hurtful at all, it is goofy. You are looking at it as if the fictional abuse of a a fictional child is the humor. It is not.

The humor is that the reporter and all involved are so infatuated with the car, that he supposedly wrote the story more about the car than about the fictional event, and the police etc, do the same: the humor is the dopey reporter, etc daydreaming about a Camaro instead of doing his job. There's humor on a couple levels there: satirization of the classic 'men love cars' angle taken to an extreme, ridicule of the standards of journalism and even professionalism...there's a couple things going on.

You may chose instead to be angered over an obviously fictional story. In that case you are uptight and refuse to understand the concept behind the satire newspaper. You put your foot down and self-righteously declare 'it's not funny'. That's fine but when you start judging, judge yourself too, because you're willfully ignoring the premise just because you don't see any humor.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:12 AM   #21
SeriouslySinning

Drives: 2013 Chevy Camaro 2LT 3.6 V6
So no one was left in the car as a child? Really? or played with toys that contained lead paint or rode in the car on your parents lap or rode bikes without helmets or jumped off bridges or anything else that put us all in danger as a kid.

This country needs to relax and not be so hyper sensitive to everything... damn

Seriously Sinning - "Veronica"
Commandment 11 - Thou shall not travel slowly.
SeriouslySinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:22 AM   #22
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriouslySinning View Post
So no one was left in the car as a child? Really? or played with toys that contained lead paint or rode in the car on your parents lap or rode bikes without helmets or jumped off bridges or anything else that put us all in danger as a kid.

This country needs to relax and not be so hyper sensitive to everything... damn
Nope. I grew up on a another planet, personally, where everything was made of Nerf. Even the breakfast cereals. Planet Nerf we called it. Everyone was a lawyer there, too.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:52 AM   #23
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
lol, it's not like your buddy came by and told a story he thought would be funny.

The Onion presents itself, on the surface, as a legit news source. Only when the headlines or stories are read, sometimes carefully, is the satire apparent.

In order to achieve satire (I can't believe I need to explain this), it would be necessary to have a realistic set of stories at first glance.

You would not be able to argue that tragic stories like this are not real and are not grotesque, and that they are not in real newspapers. Therefore, the Onion takes "news" of this kind and includes it in it's 'newspaper'. But the story itself is not shocking and not hurtful at all, it is goofy. You are looking at it as if the fictional abuse of a a fictional child is the humor. It is not.

The humor is that the reporter and all involved are so infatuated with the car, that he supposedly wrote the story more about the car than about the fictional event, and the police etc, do the same: the humor is the dopey reporter, etc daydreaming about a Camaro instead of doing his job. There's humor on a couple levels there: satirization of the classic 'men love cars' angle taken to an extreme, ridicule of the standards of journalism and even professionalism...there's a couple things going on.

You may chose instead to be angered over an obviously fictional story. In that case you are uptight and refuse to understand the concept behind the satire newspaper. You put your foot down and self-righteously declare 'it's not funny'. That's fine but when you start judging, judge yourself too, because you're willfully ignoring the premise just because you don't see any humor.
And by extension, the article is also a satirical commentary on how out of touch our news media has become. Onion is subtly pointing out how often times the media will over-emphasize an aspect of a story that is outside of what the media really ought to be focusing on.

My VIN = 2G1FK1EJ9A9105017
Build Date: 04-23-2009 according to:
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:54 AM   #24
Del's12SS

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS/RS Convertible
Loved the read, and love the Onion.
Made me laugh.
Thanks for sharing.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:01 AM   #25
revychevy

Drives: 2010 2SS RS LS3
You guys who are up in arms about the Onion, a satire paper that only tells fake stories need to get a life. You petunias probably hate Dave Chapelle because Wayne Brady was portrayed as a pimp who shot people and made Dave take drugs since sex trafficking and drug violence are real problems and "not funny".

The only comedy that could pass your standards is 3rd grade knock knock jokes.

Rest assured no actual children or Camaros were harmed in the telling of this joke news story.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:06 AM   #26
blk13SS

Drives: '13 1SS LS3 '05 Neon SRT-4
I stopped reading 1/3 into the story, realized it was a fabricated story.
blk13SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:03 PM   #27
Rhyder

Drives: 2012 45 Anniversary Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by revychevy View Post
You guys who are up in arms about the Onion, a satire paper that only tells fake stories need to get a life. You petunias probably hate Dave Chapelle because Wayne Brady was portrayed as a pimp who shot people and made Dave take drugs since sex trafficking and drug violence are real problems and "not funny".

The only comedy that could pass your standards is 3rd grade knock knock jokes.

Rest assured no actual children or Camaros were harmed in the telling of this joke news story.
While I understand where you are coming from, I personally believe there are some subjects that should not be used in places like these as comedy.....child abuse/molestation, rape murders, human slavery...there are several more, but child death due to abandonment is definitely in the line up.....

people like Dave Chapelle have a line they wont cross, and when they flirt with it, they put and portray it in an environment that is so artificial that it cant possibly be real life.......a child dying of heatstroke in a car is sadly all to real.......
Rhyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:29 PM   #28
MYDLIFECRISIS

Drives: '12SS/2SS/45TH-'06 2500HD/Silverado
I didn't know the Onion was still published. Thought it went out a while back.

MYDLIFECRISIS is offline   Reply With Quote