Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Old 02-19-2009, 07:46 AM   #29
c0rsa180

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS IOM
I just hit my 10k downpayment goal, and everything from this point on is just gravy!!!

Inferno Orange Metallic
2SS
RS
M6
ordered 2/17/09
c0rsa180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 08:06 AM   #30
dbotsfordtat

Drives: 2016 Camaro
I've been ready, its GM thats dragging ass.
dbotsfordtat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 11:17 AM   #31
Embalmer
2G1FT1EWXA9103351

Drives: 2SS RS, SIM, 6pd, 20"Alum
Umm WHO pays cash for a car? Seriously!!!

Unless you're crazy rich or you've been saving for a LONG time, MOST people will be financing MOST of the purchase price of this car.

I personally make 100k/year but I'll still only be putting down 5k or so and financing the other 31k for 5 years. My credit is great but I would imagine that MOST people are in a WORSE position than I am....

I think you will find that most people posting to this thread are those who have more money than they know what to do with or are just really really good savers.

For anyone to come here and say, "If you don't have money cancel your order." You're seriously smoking crack. Nobody is going to CANCEL their order. They'll try to finance the car no matter what and IF they get denied the dealer will sell the car to the 100 people in line waiting for a shot to buy this car.

NOBODY cancel your order unless you KNOW you can not afford this car.

Sorry but I had to post my reality check for the other 99% of the population.
Embalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 11:32 AM   #32
nol300

Drives: 92 300ZX TT 2007 Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Embalmer View Post

Unless you're crazy rich or you've been saving for a LONG time, MOST people will be financing MOST of the purchase price of this car.

I personally make 100k/year but I'll still only be putting down 5k or so and financing the other 31k for 5 years. My credit is great but I would imagine that MOST people are in a WORSE position than I am....

I think you will find that most people posting to this thread are those who have more money than they know what to do with or are just really really good savers.

For anyone to come here and say, "If you don't have money cancel your order." You're seriously smoking crack. Nobody is going to CANCEL their order. They'll try to finance the car no matter what and IF they get denied the dealer will sell the car to the 100 people in line waiting for a shot to buy this car.

+1 I made 140k last year and only plan on putting 3k down and financing the rest. Plus even if I had the cash I would keep in the bank if something happened I would have no money but a free and clear car.
nol300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 12:01 PM   #33
Inspector 17
I love crepes

Drives: 2017 ZL1 NGM A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerF View Post
For the record, I completely agree with you. This recession/depression was born because banks got loose with lending and people were not responsible with it. So I agree if you can't buy the car, get the hell out of the way.

Again, it doesn't effect me as I'm sitting here waiting for more teasers of ragtops...but it will eventually.
I think you have stated that the wrong way. This recession got started because the general population has no idea what credit is and how to use it wisely. Banks and other lenders were just there to take money from people who didn't know any better and weren't smart enough to do some research. We are all way to free and easy with credit.

I am not here to tell anyone what they can and can't buy or what they should and shouldn't buy (unless of course you ask me my opinion and then I will gladly give it to you). I would just tell people to do your research on credit, saving money, investment, etc. Educate yourself. Knowledge is the best weapon.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nol300 View Post
+1 I made 140k last year and only plan on putting 3k down and financing the rest. Plus even if I had the cash I would keep in the bank if something happened I would have no money but a free and clear car.
To both of you, a fool and their money are soon parted. If you are getting 2.5% or say even 4% on your money in savings and then are paying 5-6% on your loan, you are losing money. It would be better to pay for the car in cash (assuming you have some money in reserve for a rainy day). Now, if you can get 0%-2% financing, then go for it.
Inspector 17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 12:22 PM   #34
dbotsfordtat

Drives: 2016 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaropete View Post
I think you have stated that the wrong way. This recession got started because the general population has no idea what credit is and how to use it wisely. Banks and other lenders were just there to take money from people who didn't know any better and weren't smart enough to do some research. We are all way to free and easy with credit.

I am not here to tell anyone what they can and can't buy or what they should and shouldn't buy (unless of course you ask me my opinion and then I will gladly give it to you). I would just tell people to do your research on credit, saving money, investment, etc. Educate yourself. Knowledge is the best weapon.

To both of you, a fool and their money are soon parted. If you are getting 2.5% or say even 4% on your money in savings and then are paying 5-6% on your loan, you are losing money. It would be better to pay for the car in cash (assuming you have some money in reserve for a rainy day). Now, if you can get 0%-2% financing, then go for it.
What? Are you saying banks are the victims? Really? Nevermind, I see you didn't mean that cause you wrote a fool and his money are soon parted. Unfortunately the fool in these cases were the lending institutions but the money appears to be the taxpayers. Go figure.
dbotsfordtat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 12:27 PM   #35
Inspector 17
I love crepes

Drives: 2017 ZL1 NGM A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbotsfordtat View Post
What? Are you saying banks are the victims? Really?
No, absolutely not. I am saying that banks were just doing what capitalist fundamentals dictate - answer the demand with supply. If people want 5-15 ARMs because they don't understand what that really is and the banks see it as an opportunity to make money, then they will find a way to offer 5-15 ARMs. Don't get me wrong, banks and lenders are guilty (and so are real estate agents and companies), but they wouldn't have lended money to unqualified buyers if the buyers would have been educated and said "damn, I can't really afford a $600,000 house when I only make $100,000 a year combined income."
Inspector 17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 12:39 PM   #36
1_2Many

Drives: 2008 Suzuki SX4
I've owned 19 cars to date and I'm 30 years old. I currently drive a 2008 Suzuki that was not expensive, but worked as a good temp car until something good came around (i.e. Camaro). That car is already paid down to where I would break even if sold today. I have made some mistakes in the past, but have never let my credit go to down the hole. I have financed at least half of those cars owned and never had an issue with that. I plan on putting at least 20% down payment on my 2SS and will be financing the rest. I do not agree you need to have financing lined up at this point as in my experience getting the loan is the easy part.

Nobody should be knocked for relying on a loan for a new car. This is how banks make money and as long as payments are made this is good for economy. If you cannot afford your payments then I agree you should not be looking at a Camaro right now, but even those pre-ordered cars will be sold to the next lucky person so no harm no foul.

BTW those who claim income of 100k+/yr I am not sure why you are even involved with this discussion. You make far above the national average and a Camaro payment even fully financed should not impact you. Unless that is you've made some poor decisions and have all your money tied up through other loans. I only bring 50k+/yr personally and I have a mortgage to make. Luckily I have very little other debt so I can swing at fully loaded top of line Camaro. If I can do that with what I make then come on people you've got it easy.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:18 PM   #37
Embalmer
2G1FT1EWXA9103351

Drives: 2SS RS, SIM, 6pd, 20"Alum
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaropete View Post
I'm not here debating why we are in a financial crisis. I'm here saying that 99% of the people buying this car will not be paying cash for it. OF COURSE paying cash is the best way to go - nobody will argue that, but who has 35k to drop on a car? Nobody I personally know.

Here, I'm not saying spend money you don't have but financing a car is in no way a BAD thing. Live within your means and spend a few bucks in life - you only live once and money does you no good when you're taking the impending dirt nap.

Btw, 0-2% financing isn't going to happen... everyone here should figure 6-8% to be safe.
Embalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 02:03 PM   #38
cmanatam

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2ss #1758
Credit Score 705 and got approved for up to 80% the value of the car. I've already saved up 30% so I won't need the full amount, maybe i can even knock the rate down a bit.

Order Date: 10/13/2008
Moved to 3000: 2/19/2009
Moved to 3300: 3/9/2009
TPW 3/23/2009
VIN: 2G1FT1EW8A9101758!
cmanatam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 02:54 PM   #39
blindingillusion

Drives: 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt 2LT
I really do think it is hilarious that we still even use credit score today. The technology is good enough for a dealer to run a credit check and know exactly how much a month you spend on average. Deduct that from your proof of monthly income and if the number is greater than a payment on the car you win.

I am sorry, but I am so against so many conventions we have that were created at the time when we were limited technologically. Credit score is huge, the Electoral College is another, and there are others out there.

Plus, if things get much worse the dealerships and car finance companies won't be able to be so picky about who they finance because everyone's credit will be in the crapper.
-Hurst Short Throw Shifter
-20" Polished Aluminum Wheels

Has Owned:
2008 Cobalt
1996 Monte Carlo
1988 Sierra
1979 LeSabre
blindingillusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 04:01 PM   #40
BigTrap1967

Drives: 1969 396SS yellow w/ black str
Quote:

Didn't look at it that way at first but very good point.I also so know that this car is going to be selling for over sicker so if some pore fellow can't afford to buy his dream car rite now maybe he can shop it around while it's at the dealers lot and make a few buck for his loyalty,patience,and support for this car and GM.better a real enthusiast make over than these greedy uniformed dealers.
BigTrap1967 is offline   Reply With Quote