Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-21-2014, 09:06 AM   #1
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
Fuse Pull Observations

So, I purchased my 2013 SS 1LE about a year ago and I had read up on the fuse pull since I knew the dealer did not give me a free fill up of Premium when I took delivery. Anyway, I ran through a tank and waited until the low fuel light came on and then I filled it up with Shell 93 octane. I ran about a 1/4 tank and then did the fuse pull overnight. I didn't notice a difference after the fuse pull, however the car still ran strong and all was good.

Well, for kicks I decided to try a fuse pull again (a year later) since I ran a couple dozen tanks of premium just to see if it would do anything. I was thinking to myself that maybe I did the fuse pull with a little too much 87 octane in the tank the last time.

Well, this time I pulled the fuses for 3 hours and I was not expecting any change but this time I honestly can tell a difference. The best way to describe the change is that the car feels more "jumpy" at part throttle. It feels like improved throttle response. It may be faster during a WOT pull as well but the reality is that it always feels faster once you start pulling at over 4000rpm. I would assume if PCM really did make a switch over to the high octane table that the engine would be referring to the higher timing value and would explain the difference I am noticing at part throttle.

I know, some will just think it is in my head and so would I but I am not knew to LS motors and I have experience modding and tuning my previous C5 Z06, so this is not just wishful thinking.

For the tuners out there is there a way to determine in HP Tuners if the ECM is referencing the high or low tables at a given point in time? If memory serves you would start doing some pulls and check for knock retard and you would get an idea. I believe the best practice in the past was to copy your high octane table value to the low octane tables but you had to make sure you always use high octane fuel.
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote