Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 10-24-2014, 09:49 AM   #15
blk13SS

Drives: '13 1SS LS3 '05 Neon SRT-4
I had my LS3 tuned with Edgard Niebles (DSMLights) here in Miami, using HPTuners.

I picked up 22 whp 25 tq with just a tune, bone stock, on E85. Picked up 3 mph in the 1/4 too (109-112).

So I would say yeah, tune makes a world of a difference.
2013 1SS LS3/Cold Air Inductions/VMAX ported tb/TSP 1 7/8 LTs and xpipe/factory NPP axleback/BTR stg 3 cam kit/ZL1 injectors/3.91 gears/MGW sts/DSS carbon fiber driveshaft/DSS 1000hp axles/BMR LCAs & adj. toe rods/DSMLIGHTS E85 dyno tune 454/427 running out fuel. ZL1 fuel pump, McLeod twin disk, and retune coming soon!
blk13SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 09:51 AM   #16
Team STILLEN

Drives: Varies
AFM - Active Fuel Management
Team STILLEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 10:16 AM   #17
Livernois Motorsports

Drives: 2010 Camaro 454 LSX (SOLD)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREAMING EAGLE View Post
For those of you who have had your cars tuned, has it been worth it? Do they also do the transmission or is that an extra tune. My car is stock except for a Borla axel back. Gonna cost about $400.00. Forgot to ask about the tranny tune.
We do a TON of Camaro performance work, especially tuning. Here are some of the benefits to our MyCal tuner:

Custom tuning via Livernois Motorsports (Device stores stock Tune)
Dyno proven air/fuel adjustments
Gains of over 22hp and 27tq on your otherwise stock vehicle
Compatible with most performance packages for the 2010+ Camaro SS offered by Livernois Motorsports
Transmission modifications with reduced torque management and modified shift points/firmness (Automatic equipped vehicles only)
Enhanced throttle response
Available for 91 and 93 octane fuel
Revised Rev Limiter
Revised Top Speed Limiter
Read/Clear (DTC) Codes

We also offer free support,free retuning for mods that you add later and free tune updates as we tinker with the tuning.
Livernois Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 10:49 AM   #18
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
For those of you who have had your cars tuned, has it been worth it? Do they also do the transmission or is that an extra tune. My car is stock except for a Borla axel back. Gonna cost about $400.00. Forgot to ask about the tranny tune.
The L99 Auto responds extremely well to tuning.

I tune both the engine and transmission in my tunes included in the price.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 11:27 AM   #19
Hotwheels426

Drives: 2013 2ss hot wheels camaro vert
another big + for phil..tampa tuning...really knows the A6 tranny...
Old 10-24-2014, 11:35 AM   #20
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
The L99 Auto responds extremely well to tuning.

I tune both the engine and transmission in my tunes included in the price.

Ted.
$400 for both sounds reasonable and Ted is one of the best in the business. I still question though, Ted, if an engine tune is really cost effective for an unmodded engine. What do you say and... can you do just a L99 tranny tune and how much would that be?

Sorry to butt in but I have been considering such a thing for my L99. Thanks.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 11:44 AM   #21
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
OK,Please explain AFM.
See here for a basic explanation:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_Fuel_Management

Practically nobody here likes it - I for one bought 8 cylinders for a reason and I want them working all the time. The Range device (about $200) allows this without a tranny tune and does not void the warranty or leave any traces of usage on the car's computer. It's a small plug-n-play device that plugs into (and unplugs from) your On Board Diagnostic port in about 10 seconds. Best part is if you want your AFM active, you just unplug it. Want to deactivate it, just plug it back in.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 11:44 AM   #22
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
$400 for both sounds reasonable and Ted is one of the best in the business. I still question though, Ted, if an engine tune is really cost effective for an unmodded engine. What do you say and... can you do just a L99 tranny tune and how much would that be?

Sorry to butt in but I have been considering such a thing for my L99. Thanks.
Yes sir, the Engine tune is pretty soft because of all the torque management GM put in to protect inexperienced drivers who randomly jump in the car and smash the gas.

Trying to keep them off the light poles LOL

Removing torque management gives you access to power that is there but you don't have access to Plus a little.

Since the tune is Free with purchase of the X4 No charge if you wanted just a trans tune.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 02:08 PM   #23
Tampa Tuning
Account Suspended

Drives: TAMPA TUNING FACEBOOK & INSTAGRAM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevebo View Post
I had mine done by Phil at Tampa Tuning. He did everything at once. I am very pleased with the result and highly recommend his work to anyone with an LS3 / L99 variant motor. Well worth every penny I paid!
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8rh8rtampa View Post
I also had mine tuned by Phil at Tampa Tune. He was great. I would do it when you are finished with any other mods like headers CAI and throttle body. That way you only need to get it tuned once. Well worth the money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcoy56 View Post
i think you can just do a tranny tune. I think Tampa Tuning offers that. Maybe shops in your area do to. If not road trip!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwheels426 View Post
another big + for phil..tampa tuning...really knows the A6 tranny...

Thanks guys.
Ive corrected a lot of tranny tunes in the area. The problem I see with the bad tranny tunes Ive corrected was the tuner cuts the shift times and adds tranny line pressure like you do with the 4L80 transmission. The 6L80/90 is much more complicated.

Torque Management in the 6L80/90 is your friend if you learn how to use it properly and it will add to the life of the transmission, and still shift like a beast when you tip into it.

Yes in some applications with higher stalls, line pressure and TCC pressure will be be enhanced, but its done in conjuction with the TQMT. Bolt ons and under dont need additional line pressure.

I like setting up my transmissions to be slightly noticable in "normal traffic" driving, but the more throttle you apply after 35-40%, the more interactive I want the transmission to be.

I like setting up the M mode slighty more aggressive than the D mode.

The key to my transmission success is in the conversation I have with the owner before I make any changes to the calibration. "How would you like your transmission set up" is the first question.

It's really not one size fits all type application which is why 90% of my Corvette and Camaro clients are automatics.

As far as pricing, I charge the same amount for automatics and manuals. I dont charge extra if you added a stall, changed rear gears or tire size. Once im plugged in, im going to calibrate the car for your modifications. Its a package deal.
My pricing changes on a couple tier levels. Bolt ons and under. Cammed ( internal modifications) and Forced Induction.

I do have a seperate price for just a tranny tune, but Ive found guys rarely want just a tranny tune when I show them how rich their car is and much spark knock retarding they are developing in the stock calibration.

If your in the area and want to see and feel how my Camaro shifts, Just let me know and we'll go for a ride.

Phil
Tampa Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 07:24 PM   #24
2012LS3VERT

Drives: 2012 2SSRS Vert, Black w/M6
^^^ What Phil said. Took me weeks of tuning to figure out my first 6L80. I don't tune a lot of cars, just for local guys in my area since I don't have a dyno in my area at all, mostly bolt on cars. Learning curve with the new autos is steep, Phil seems to have them figured out with the best of them.
2012LS3VERT is offline   Reply With Quote