Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 04-05-2017, 08:36 PM   #1
travislambert

Drives: '17 ZL1
Dealership Refused to Service My ZL1

I had an alignment issue with my ZL1. The car drove perfectly, but the steering wheel had to be held left at about 9 degrees (according to the PDR) in order to drive straight.

So I booked an appointment on Monday with Premier Chevrolet in Morgantown WV for this morning at 8AM. While booking the appointment, they asked me the year, make, model, and of course "did you buy it here?" I answered with “2017 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1, and no”. They said “okay we’ll see you Wednesday morning”.

When I get there this morning they ask me again, "did you buy it here". This time I answered “no, but I did buy a 2016 Camaro 2SS from you guys last June”. Then they asked why I didn't bring the ZL1 back to the dealer that sold me the car. At this point I'm starting to get frustrated, but I answer their questions. I explain to them that the dealer I bought from, Midstate Chevrolet in Flatwoods WV, is about 80 miles from my house. I tried to buy the ZL1 from Premier, but they didn't return my emails or call when I asked if they had an allocation. The only semi-local place that did answer was Midstate, so I bought from them. But unfortunately, Midstate is a little too far away to be convenient for service appointments.

They then told me I had to take it back to the selling dealer. When I asked why, they said they didn't want the liability of working on a ZL1. They also said had I bought the car from them they'd would, but since I didn't, they didn't want the liability. After explaining once again that I bought a 50K+ car from them less than one year ago and that I had tried to buy the ZL1 from them, they offered to do the alignment but only if I'd sign a damage waiver releasing them from all liability. There was no way I was going to sign that waiver so they gave me a hard NO and asked me to pull my car out of the way...

I took off from work today to get this car aligned and at this point I'm pretty pissed that they made the appointment and then waited until I got there to refuse service. I called GM customer service... but what a complete joke that turned out to be. They said "we're sorry sir but the dealership has the right to refuse service to anyone". This surely wasn’t my understanding of the GM warranty at the time of purchase. I thought they didn’t have a choice, but as it turns out they do.

I explained to customer service that Premier was simply being spiteful because I didn't buy the ZL1 from them. Customer service then called the dealership for me, but the dealer told them they didn't have the proper equipment to do an alignment on a Camaro... keep in mind this place sells lots of Camaros and it’s simply a lie.... but of course, the customer service lady buys it. Customer service calls me back and says there's nothing they can do and tells me that I need to take it back to the dealer that sold the car. (What a crock of sh*t, right?)

So, I call the dealer I bought the ZL1 from and explain what happened. They tell me to bring it in (kudos to them). I then drive 90 miles (dealer to dealer) and as soon as I get there, they do the alignment.

When I drive away I notice the steering wheel is still crooked….well crap. I take it back, now the tech is on lunch so I wait an hour or so. When he gets back a desk guy who's been watching me wait the entire time tells me that the car is probably fine and that "the suspension hasn't settled yet". He said I needed to drive it at least 1,000 miles to see if the problem corrected on its own. I told him that the suspension settling was the biggest line of BS I'd ever heard for a crooked steering wheel. (If this were the case, all new cars would have a high likelihood of this problem. How stupid do they think we are?) I ended up raising my voice with them a little because at this point I'm nearing the end of my rope given what I'd been through that morning. To avoid a scene, they agree to do a second alignment.

After the second alignment, I go for a ride with the tech and the tech is trying to show me the car is fine. Unfortunately, every time he lets go of the steering wheel the car veers left. Also, when he's driving straight the wheel is still not straight. After driving the car for a while he admits that it isn't right and takes it back and does A THIRD ALIGNMENT!

I drive the car this time and now it's so badly aligned it's dangerous. I take it back and ask for a different tech with a fresh set of eyes because after the third alignment, the car is the worst it's been. I lost my cool with them a little, but to their credit they were still friendly (I calmed down pretty quick). They don't have another alignment guy, but they assured me that the guy working on my car is "the best in the state" (I'm not aware of any state-level competitions for such a skill. ) Anyway, they take it back and do a FORTH ALIGNMENT!

After the FORTH ALIGNMENT, they bring me the printout from the alignment machine... but at this point I couldn't care less. Those numbers are only meaningful if the machine is hooked to the car properly, the right tolerances are loaded, and the machine is calibrated properly. I told them if the car doesn't drive straight I didn't care what numbers they had printed on their paper.

Fortunately, for the sake of everybody’s sanity the FORTH ALIGNMENT was the charm. Everything seemed perfect. I arrived at the first dealership at 7:40 AM and by 4:00 PM it was finally aligned.

After today, I’ll never step foot back in Premier Chevrolet. I feel like what they did was inexcusable. I don't know why GM lets them by with crap like that.

The experience with Midstate was mixed. I have to give them credit for working me in on short notice. I didn’t appreciate having to go through 4 alignments or the BS in the middle when they tried to get me to settle for a car that wasn’t properly aligned. However, they did end up sticking with it until it was right. So, I have to give them credit for that too.

Is it any wonder that people dread taking nice cars to dealerships?

Assuming I ever buy another GM vehicle, the next salesman that tells me how I can get the vehicle serviced anywhere and how great GM service is might be in immediate danger.

Anyway, I just wanted to vent a little and share the experience with you guys.

Last edited by travislambert; 04-05-2017 at 08:53 PM.
travislambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 08:44 PM   #2
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Well that sucks but I've warned everyone about this.

As GM and Chevy continue making these HP cars the dealers are ill equip to service them with qualified techs. For an alignment I go to a qualified specialty shop.
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 08:45 PM   #3
TDS

Drives: 2019 Jeep Rubicon Sold:2017 ZL1 A10
Holly Cow! Dealers Suck A**
Ordered 2/11, 2000 2/14, 3000 2/20, 3100 2/24, 3300 3/7, 3400 3/8, 4300 3/16, 4B00 3/21 Bayed at train yard in Ohio, 4200 3/26 All Abroad for the West Coast, 4800 4/4 Deliverd to portland train yard, 5000 4/7 3:00AM Deliverd to Dealer, 6000 4/7 6:45PM Delivered to Customer
TDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 08:56 PM   #4
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
It's true dealers can service your car or not. As a former "zone rep" for 20 years, I can tell you that GM, nor any manufacturer, cares to straighten this out. They don't have the horsepower.But this is a small time shop. This is an old-school dealer that still believes at this does him some good. There are several thousand Chevy dealers , so start dailing/picking them. You'll find the majority will take you in , no matter where you bought the car. Service stopped being a connection to sales along time ago, it's it's own profit center now and a good 75% of the dealerships are owned by major corporations anyway. And they don't give a damn where are you bought it. Penske, Autonation, Group one, Hendricks and the other major players, will service anybody.

If you ever get in the situation again, don't tell them where you bought the car. Just tell them you just moved to town, and need service.

Last edited by Glen e; 04-05-2017 at 09:27 PM.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 09:10 PM   #5
Hawk397
Sparky

Drives: 2017 50th Coupe / 2017 ZL1
I'd contact the local zone rep if you want to follow-up, this isn't right on so many levels.
Hawk397 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 09:10 PM   #6
396ssrat

Drives: 66 Chevelle SS
GM's dealer network has scared away more customers than any other brand ever could. The dealers are why Toyota did so well.
396ssrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 09:11 PM   #7
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
I had the transmission line recall done at my local dealer (Boucher) with no problem even though I bought it out of state (Rodgers). No hassle at all and they even provided shuttle service to and from my work. All free. They were so kind and professional I think differently about them than I did before.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 09:14 PM   #8
unavailablezl1

Drives: 2019 Silverado Z71 6.2L A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by travislambert View Post
I had an alignment issue with my ZL1. The car drove perfectly, but the steering wheel had to be held left at about 9 degrees (according to the PDR) in order to drive straight.

So I booked an appointment on Monday with Premier Chevrolet in Morgantown WV for this morning at 8AM. While booking the appointment, they asked me the year, make, model, and of course "did you buy it here?" I answered with “2017 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1, and no”. They said “okay we’ll see you Wednesday morning”.

When I get there this morning they ask me again, "did you buy it here". This time I answered “no, but I did buy a 2016 Camaro 2SS from you guys last June”. Then they asked why I didn't bring the ZL1 back to the dealer that sold me the car. At this point I'm starting to get frustrated, but I answer their questions. I explain to them that the dealer I bought from, Midstate Chevrolet in Flatwoods WV, is about 80 miles from my house. I tried to buy the ZL1 from Premier, but they didn't return my emails or call when I asked if they had an allocation. The only semi-local place that did answer was Midstate, so I bought from them. But unfortunately, Midstate is a little too far away to be convenient for service appointments.

They then told me I had to take it back to the selling dealer. When I asked why, they said they didn't want the liability of working on a ZL1. They also said had I bought the car from them they'd would, but since I didn't, they didn't want the liability. After explaining once again that I bought a 50K+ car from them less than one year ago and that I had tried to buy the ZL1 from them, they offered to do the alignment but only if I'd sign a damage waiver releasing them from all liability. There was no way I was going to sign that waiver so they gave me a hard NO and asked me to pull my car out of the way...

I took off from work today to get this car aligned and at this point I'm pretty pissed that they made the appointment and then waited until I got there to refuse service. I called GM customer service... but what a complete joke that turned out to be. They said "we're sorry sir but the dealership has the right to refuse service to anyone". This surely wasn’t my understanding of the GM warranty at the time of purchase. I thought they didn’t have a choice, but as it turns out they do.

I explained to customer service that Premier was simply being spiteful because I didn't buy the ZL1 from them. Customer service then called the dealership for me, but the dealer told them they didn't have the proper equipment to do an alignment on a Camaro... keep in mind this place sells lots of Camaros and it’s simply a lie.... but of course, the customer service lady buys it. Customer service calls me back and says there's nothing they can do and tells me that I need to take it back to the dealer that sold the car. (What a crock of sh*t, right?)

So, I call the dealer I bought the ZL1 from and explain what happened. They tell me to bring it in (kudos to them). I then drive 90 miles (dealer to dealer) and as soon as I get there, they do the alignment.

When I drive away I notice the steering wheel is still crooked….well crap. I take it back, now the tech is on lunch so I wait an hour or so. When he gets back a desk guy who's been watching me wait the entire time tells me that the car is probably fine and that "the suspension hasn't settled yet". He said I needed to drive it at least 1,000 miles to see if the problem corrected on its own. I told him that the suspension settling was the biggest line of BS I'd ever heard for a crooked steering wheel. (If this were the case, all new cars would have a high likelihood of this problem. How stupid do they think we are?) I ended up raising my voice with them a little because at this point I'm nearing the end of my rope given what I'd been through that morning. To avoid a scene, they agree to do a second alignment.

After the second alignment, I go for a ride with the tech and the tech is trying to show me the car is fine. Unfortunately, every time he lets go of the steering wheel the car veers left. Also, when he's driving straight the wheel is still not straight. After driving the car for a while he admits that it isn't right and takes it back and does A THIRD ALIGNMENT!

I drive the car this time and now it's so badly aligned it's dangerous. I take it back and ask for a different tech with a fresh set of eyes because after the third alignment, the car is the worst it's been. I lost my cool with them a little, but to their credit they were still friendly (I calmed down pretty quick). They don't have another alignment guy, but they assured me that the guy working on my car is "the best in the state" (I'm not aware of any state-level competitions for such a skill. ) Anyway, they take it back and do a FORTH ALIGNMENT!

After the FORTH ALIGNMENT, they bring me the printout from the alignment machine... but at this point I couldn't care less. Those numbers are only meaningful if the machine is hooked to the car properly, the right tolerances are loaded, and the machine is calibrated properly. I told them if the car doesn't drive straight I didn't care what numbers they had printed on their paper.

Fortunately, for the sake of everybody’s sanity the FORTH ALIGNMENT was the charm. Everything seemed perfect. I arrived at the first dealership at 7:40 AM and by 4:00 PM it was finally aligned.

After today, I’ll never step foot back in Premier Chevrolet. I feel like what they did was inexcusable. I don't know why GM lets them by with crap like that.

The experience with Midstate was mixed. I have to give them credit for working me in on short notice. I didn’t appreciate having to go through 4 alignments or the BS in the middle when they tried to get me to settle for a car that wasn’t properly aligned. However, they did end up sticking with it until it was right. So, I have to give them credit for that too.

Is it any wonder that people dread taking nice cars to dealerships?

Assuming I ever buy another GM vehicle, the next salesman that tells me how I can get the vehicle serviced anywhere and how great GM service is might be in immediate danger.

Anyway, I just wanted to vent a little and share the experience with you guys.
That is a BMW rerun.

My 2012 BMW M3, always pulled to the left. I took it to the dealer and it still pulled. I took it back after going around the block. They said it was aligned. But it still pulls I said. But it is aligned they said. I took it to another dealer and they said it was aligned within specs. But it still pulls. Then it was wearing out the $400 apiece tires. When I took it in for an oil change, they said that my tires are wearing out. I said because you can't f&#king align the front end. Then I talked to some sales person and they said ALL BMW's pull. I said BS and left. Just another reason to not go to the dealer when they fall on their face.

Past Rides
2017 M6 Camaro ZL1 Hyper Blue
2016 M6 GT350 White with blue strips
2014 M6 Mustang GT Premium Track Pack Ruby Red
2012 M6 M3 Melbourne Red Metallic
unavailablezl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 09:21 PM   #9
trident
No Hope

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Black Coupe, 2017 Z06,
GM

I know you are not going to like my response, but just take your car to the dealer you purchased it from and forget the dealer that refused your service. You can get mad and upset, but it isn't going to help your situation. Now, having said that, the power of the pen is still mightier than the sword. First, write a letter to the dealer that refused your service. Follow up by writing to GM IAW the procedure in your warranty manual. Also, send a letter to the Attorney General in the state you live in. In each letter attach whatever information that you have and file a complaint. You can also send in a complaint to the NHTSB and file a complaint that the dealer refused to correct a safety concern. You probably will never set foot in the dealership, but you may get some satisfaction in the end. As an example, a company I did business with screwed me out of $1,500.00. I researched the company and inquired how this company paid sales tax to the city and the state. I filed a complaint with the Comptroller and after their investigation they levied a $18,000 Tax lien on this company. In addition, I filed in Small Claims Court and won a judgement. I filed paperwork with the Constable and after a year they gave the Constable a check for the $1,500.00. It wasn't the money, but it was the idea and my goal was to cause this guy as much trouble as I could. If the dealer did this to you I would assume that they have treated others the same way. GM will never know unless you take the initiative and follow procedure and file your complaints.
trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 09:36 PM   #10
ron scubadiver

Drives: 2017 2SS Hyper Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by unavailablezl1 View Post
That is a BMW rerun.

My 2012 BMW M3, always pulled to the left. I took it to the dealer and it still pulled. I took it back after going around the block. They said it was aligned. But it still pulls I said. But it is aligned they said. I took it to another dealer and they said it was aligned within specs. But it still pulls. Then it was wearing out the $400 apiece tires. When I took it in for an oil change, they said that my tires are wearing out. I said because you can't f&#king align the front end. Then I talked to some sales person and they said ALL BMW's pull. I said BS and left. Just another reason to not go to the dealer when they fall on their face.

I owned several BMW's. Sometimes things go wrong with them and don't get fixed. As expensive as they are, it's not acceptable, and probably why I have a Camaro now.
Old 04-05-2017, 09:51 PM   #11
Stingray23

Drives: 2012 Ford SVT Raptor
It makes absolutely no sense to not offer you service at a GM dealership with your GM vehicle. It shouldnt make a difference at all where you bought the car. The dealership represents GM as a company, therefore, they should service your GM vehicle without question. I never understood this BS.
Stingray23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 09:52 PM   #12
travislambert

Drives: '17 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by trident View Post
I know you are not going to like my response, but just take your car to the dealer you purchased it from and forget the dealer that refused your service. You can get mad and upset, but it isn't going to help your situation. Now, having said that, the power of the pen is still mightier than the sword. First, write a letter to the dealer that refused your service. Follow up by writing to GM IAW the procedure in your warranty manual. Also, send a letter to the Attorney General in the state you live in. In each letter attach whatever information that you have and file a complaint. You can also send in a complaint to the NHTSB and file a complaint that the dealer refused to correct a safety concern. You probably will never set foot in the dealership, but you may get some satisfaction in the end. As an example, a company I did business with screwed me out of $1,500.00. I researched the company and inquired how this company paid sales tax to the city and the state. I filed a complaint with the Comptroller and after their investigation they levied a $18,000 Tax lien on this company. In addition, I filed in Small Claims Court and won a judgement. I filed paperwork with the Constable and after a year they gave the Constable a check for the $1,500.00. It wasn't the money, but it was the idea and my goal was to cause this guy as much trouble as I could. If the dealer did this to you I would assume that they have treated others the same way. GM will never know unless you take the initiative and follow procedure and file your complaints.
I appreciate your response.

A person has to pick their battles though, and I think I'm going to pass on this one.

Premier was within their right just like I'm within my right to never go back. It certainly sucks that GM allows dealerships to treat its customers this way, but it is what it is. I'll keep this in mind the next time I'm shopping for a vehicle. I buy a new vehicle about every year so I'm confident their decision to not service my ZL1 today will cost them in the end.

As for Midstate. I'm not in a good position to complain. Even though it took several attempts, I think they were mostly sincere in their efforts so that makes the problems along the way a little easier to overlook. At this point I'm grateful they stuck with it.

As for GM, they logged my complaint today when I called them from Premier. That's about all they ever do with complaints anyway is file them in the round bin.
travislambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 09:53 PM   #13
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray23 View Post
It makes absolutely no sense to not offer you service at a GM dealership with your GM vehicle. It shouldnt make a difference at all where you bought the car. The dealership represents GM as a company, therefore, they should service your GM vehicle without question. I never understood this BS.

That's where you're wrong. That's where you guys are missing it. The dealership represents who owns the dealership, not GM. This is a terrible situation but it existS because dealers are completely independent businessman. Until all the centers can run like tesla does and there are no dealerships anymore, they are wholly-owned by individuals. You can't get GM to do a thing in enforcing policies like this. It will never happen due to state franchising laws which limits GM is power in dealership operations…
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 10:02 PM   #14
Artos

Drives: A10 LT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
That's where you're wrong. That's where you guys are missing it. The dealership represents who owns the dealership, not GM. This is a terrible situation but it existS because dealers are completely independent businessman. Until all the centers can run like tesla does and there are no dealerships anymore, they are wholly-owned by individuals. You can't get GM to do a thing in enforcing policies like this. It will never happen due to state franchising laws which limits GM is power in dealership operations…
Understood...but, the dealership also had every opportunity to make some $$$ & make a customer happy. IF they had the confidence to fix the problem. Now, they have lost a customer forever & likely other future buyers. Everything is a gamble.

Personally, if a dealer wanted me to sign a waiver...I would be happy to go back to where I purchased or another GM dealer who wanted my biz. It is what it is.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote