Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 05-24-2012, 10:44 PM   #1
rogerspt

Drives: 1995 Black Chevrolet Camaro Z28
Unhappy I pray that no one else has to experience this...

Hey guys..

I just want to start by saying that I am absolutely in love with my ZL1! Thank you to the Camaro Team for producing #530 to perfection!

Now here's the sad part.

I was driving back home this afternoon from Charlotte, NC, to the upstate of SC after helping see my girlfriend off for France at the airport. It was a great drive. Smooth, comfortable, efficient (I got 20.5 mpg! ) drive. At least, that was on the way to Charlotte. On my way home from the airport I immediately hit dead-stopped traffic leaving Charlotte on the interstate. But I was able to get out of that fairly quickly and had no trouble getting to the state line.

Here's the kicker...

As I crossed the state line, I decided I would stop at the welcome center a couple miles ahead to use the restroom and take a break. So I was driving along (under 80 mph and 4,000 rpm since I'm just now at 1400 miles, of course) with no problems, relaxing, and enjoying my music when all of a sudden the car in front of me swerved to the right without warning and left me in the path of a blown re-tread off of an 18-wheeler. Needless to say, I hit that giant piece of rubber with my front left side and no opportunity to escape the damage. So here are some pics of my very unfortunate drive this afternoon. I really hope y'all have better fortunes. WATCH OUT FOR IDIOTS AND DEBRIS!

**The damage includes a dented and now offset bumper, a busted out fog light, a scraped side-skirt/rocker, torn wheel well, dented fender, and dislodged rocker toward the rear. Also, I am currently suffering from severe nausea along with intense disgust for truckers who are cheap and use re-treads.

Thanks for reading and be safe out there.
Attached Images

rogerspt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:54 PM   #2
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
....just when everything's going good....out of the blue....Maxwell's hammer comes down....so sorry for your misfortune my friend. Hiways can be a detriment.....
Old 05-24-2012, 11:22 PM   #3
armysig
Catch me if you can

Drives: 2012 IOM ZL-1
I know your pain. About 2 weeks before I traded in my 1 SS I was behind a truck that had a tire blow and all I could see was a rain of rubber coming down on me. I had a few small dings and a scratch on my window. Dealership took it in without even asking about it.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:38 PM   #4
Rice Killer
Cooter

Drives: my wife crazy
That happened to me in my CTS-V. What a horrible feeling. Luckily I was following the truck that blew his tire and flagged him down and got his insurance info. His insurance paid for everything. It's hard to go after someone else's insurance co when you don't know what truck it came off of. I feel for you, that is truly a horrible feeling. Hopefully you can get it fixed as good as new. Good luck!
#1451 - 2012 ZL1 - White, Black Wheels, Manual, Suede Package, and Exposed Hood Insert. Delivered on 6/20/12. Thanks to Jason from Symdon Motors in Evansville, WI.
Rice Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:41 PM   #5
XxxREAPERxxX

Drives: 2012 ZL1(soon!!!!), 2001 Z06
Sickening...

I feel like I'm gonna throw up FOR you man.. So sorry. I jut picked up my car #1218 last night and sure enough... Half way home from dealer I crested a hill and there were 4or 5 large pieces of truck rubber in the road... I instinctively put the hammer down to get ahead of neighboring cars, and swerved through the debris field!!!! The camaro handling saved my a$$ and thankfully there was enough space to barely squeeze through..... But it was close. Hang in there. Hope u can get it fixed without too much trouble. Sorry again...
XxxREAPERxxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 06:31 AM   #6
sammyv

Drives: 2013 red Lingenfelter ZL1
Man that sucks!
sammyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 06:59 AM   #7
closs2sx

Drives: 1970 chevelle
Well atleast you are ok and your car can be fixed quickly. Not that there is a bright side to your car being damaged but atleast it wasn't totaled because goIng thru the order process again could kill a person. Best of luck on the repairs and sorry man I am sick for you
Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic
Dads Car
2013 ZL1 vin 963
Crystal Red Tint Coat/Black Wheels
Exposed Carbon Fiber Insert
6 Spd Manual
closs2sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 07:13 AM   #8
Swacer

Drives: 2018 GT350
That sucks man. However, its just a part of driving on the road (just the same as rock chips and broken windshields) unfortuantley. I've had 2 18wheeler tires blow in front of my accord, one of which left ME with a flat and ripped up heat shields.

Call the insurance....take it to a bodyshop you trust...and she'll be good as new before you know it! Good luck!
Old 05-25-2012, 07:34 AM   #9
ZL1Dave

Drives: 2012 ZL-1 #1442
Man really sorry to see that happen to u. That never would have happened if you were driving a $1000 POS
ZL1Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 07:40 AM   #10
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
Its OK man, its just a car. You could be dead. Don't worry you can always sue for diminished value or something. Looks like its a call to your insurance company to make a comprehensive claim and a quick trip to the body shop.

All will be right in the world soon!
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 10:31 AM   #11
GoldenBear
Bear Backer

Drives: 69 Camaro Z/28, 69 Corvette Conv
Driving a vehicle always has those types of risks. The only way to keep a vehicle absolutely pristine is to never drive it. It's a trade off. Since I don't want to risk damaging my "classic" vehicles I find myself driving them less and less, and that's why I keep acquiring new vehicles that I actually can and do drive.
Current Chevrolets: 1969 Camaro Z/28 -- 1969 427/390 Corvette Convertible -- 1970 350/300 Corvette Convertible -- 2013 Camaro ZL1 Convertible -- CRT / Exposed CF Weave Hood Insert / Suede Package / Polished Wheels / MN6
GoldenBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 10:47 AM   #12
toesuf94

Drives: THR #11 E-force supercharged
Send a message via MSN to toesuf94
Oh, that sucks. I feel horrible for you. Glad it is mostly cosmetic.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:50 AM   #13
rjansen

Drives: '72 GTO, '94 Cadillac, 2012 IOM ZL1
I feel for you. Glad your ZL1 didn't sustain any more damage than it did.

That being said... there should be a law banning the use of 're-tread' tires on semis. They are what is mostly responsible for these tire failures. I live in Wisconsin and see tire debris from semis all over the highways all the time. And I know this is pretty much the norm all over the entire US. I am truly amazed that I don't see more reports a people being killed in auto accidents caused by this debris.
rjansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:55 AM   #14
evolve

Drives: 03 Cobra
Glad youre ok! I hope the dealer fixes it for you.
evolve is offline   Reply With Quote