Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 08:54 PM   #1
FutureBumbleBee

Drives: 83 Z28, white, slow and dying
Could I afford a Camaro?

I'm kinda bummed because I'm still 26 and can't afford a new car. But here goes

I work a part time job and get around $800 a month, minimum. No other bills. I have an 83 Camaro which I could possibly sell for like $1500-2000.. A few grand saved up and maybe could get more money (especially if it takes a long time from now to actually buy the Camaro).

I don't know how taxes, tags, registration fees and all things like that work?

I basically want the cheapest model possible, an automatic LS in yellow

I don't need the black stripes or spoiler right away, can I get more Bumblebee accurate ones later from someone else? Are they really hard to install?
Old 07-08-2009, 09:00 PM   #2
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
That's already about $400 a month payment you sure about that? Might want to buy used.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:02 PM   #3
Ant

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT/RS (V6)
You could, but you'd be working mostly for your car like me.

Starting my new job, I will be making slightly more than you per month, and also have no other bills.

With the car I just sold, I will have a payment of around $319 per month. For me, making $850+ per month, having a Camaro and paying $319 per month is worth it imo.

What else am I gonna do with my money at my age. Might as well enjoy it while I can lol.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:02 PM   #4
nards444

Drives: 1SS/RS Black
nope dont even think it sorry
Old 07-08-2009, 09:07 PM   #5
smoothoperator

Drives: Future 2010 Camaro
Send a message via AIM to smoothoperator
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureBumbleBee View Post

I work a part time job and get around $800 a month, minimum. No other bills. I have an 83 Camaro which I could possibly sell for like $1500-2000.. A few grand saved up and maybe could get more money (especially if it takes a long time from now to actually buy the Camaro).

I don't need the black stripes or spoiler right away, can I get more Bumblebee accurate ones later from someone else? Are they really hard to install?
How is your credit (FICO score)? Without a co-borrower (Cosigner) you will probably have trouble getting financed with just a part time job. Can you switch to full time at your current part time job? that would solve your problem right there.... I actually was recently laid off and get about $1600/month in unemployment but know I will have to find a full time job before my car comes in otherwise I won't get the financing.
3100 -
3300 -
3400 -
3800 -
4200 -
5000/6000 -
Old 07-08-2009, 09:11 PM   #6
RPO_Z28

Drives: 2007 C6Z
Suze Orman
Old 07-08-2009, 09:18 PM   #7
FutureBumbleBee

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothoperator View Post
How is your credit (FICO score)? Without a co-borrower (Cosigner) you will probably have trouble getting financed with just a part time job. Can you switch to full time at your current part time job? that would solve your problem right there.... I actually was recently laid off and get about $1600/month in unemployment but know I will have to find a full time job before my car comes in otherwise I won't get the financing.
I could work 40 hours a week, but since I hate working that much, don't get fulltime benefits, and plan on going back to college, I'm not going to do it.
I do plan on having a different financial thing soon but it's a crapshoot whether it'll work or not.
I could get a cosigner

Oh, and not sure about my credit score but I know I have good credit. I have never bought anything over $1200 on credit though.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:22 PM   #8
smoothoperator

Drives: Future 2010 Camaro
Send a message via AIM to smoothoperator
Quote:
I could work 40 hours a week, but since I hate working that much, don't get fulltime benefits, and plan on going back to college, I'm not going to do it.
I do plan on having a different financial thing soon but it's a crapshoot whether it'll work or not.
I could get a cosigner

Oh, and not sure about my credit score but I know I have good credit. I have never bought anything over $1200 on credit though.
I'm not exactly sure how lenders verify income but I think they just use your last 2 pay statements maybe you could work 40 hours for a couple weeks just before you get financed? lol might be worth a shot.
3100 -
3300 -
3400 -
3800 -
4200 -
5000/6000 -
Old 07-08-2009, 09:28 PM   #9
FutureBumbleBee

doubt it.. they've cut everyone's hours and they'd be pissed for me to ask
Old 07-08-2009, 09:29 PM   #10
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:

It's always been my belief that you either know you can afford something or you can't. If you have to ask if you can afford it, then you can't afford it and would end up losing the car in a few months.

Also if your asking this question then most likely you have no or very little credit. When getting financing for a car one of the things they look at is previous large loans that you had and paid back. I'm guessing you have had none. Imo the best decision for you right now is not to buy the car and wait until next year. This way you can save up more, work on your credit, and reduce your car payments. Right now you will be looking at almost $500 a month between car payments and insurance and only working part time making $800 a month, you will be hard pressed to get a decent rate not to mention doesn't leave much room for emergencies and any other expenses.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:33 PM   #11
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothoperator View Post
I'm not exactly sure how lenders verify income but I think they just use your last 2 pay statements maybe you could work 40 hours for a couple weeks just before you get financed? lol might be worth a shot.
Every bank and financial institute I've done business with asked for last pay stub and last years W-2.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:35 PM   #12
FutureBumbleBee

I've never had a W2..
shucks well I guess I just gotta deal with it. Maybe if I make $3000 a month they'll finance me, but if it's self-employed I wonder how that'd work.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:42 PM   #13
NightmareSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS 92 300zx 2001 Ram
it all depends on what you plan on doing in the long run.....im in a similiar situation as u...i make about 1800 a month but im getting the 2ss/rs and i have other bills...ill be paying about a 1000 a month for the car and insurance and about 200 in other bills...so that leaves me with 600 a month to have in my pocket...i live it at home myself and dont plan on leaving for another few years...and by then ill be working for the city making double wut i make now...like ant said im young and i have nothing to spend my money on now and i wanna enjoy my younger age...i know i can save some money up for my future but i honestly dont care about that right now...i still got time

plus i work 4 days a week 10 hours a day...so i think imma try to work some overtime at my job or get a part time job couple days a week...on tuesdays when im off i lose my mind sitting home all day...love my weekends tho

so if you live at home and plan on staying there till the car is paid off or ull be making more money within the next couple years go for it...thats just my opinion, most people telling u not to have more life experience then me...alot of people told me i shouldnt get the 2ss cuz i cant afford it but i want it and ill work more if i need to...besides my mother wouldnt let me do this if she didnt think i could handle it...i mean she couldnt stop me if she didnt think i could...but she does...if u live with ur parents talk to them...no1 is gonna give u better advice then them, they know ur life and situation better then any1
Old 07-08-2009, 09:42 PM   #14
Rockytophummer

Drives: 2006 Hummer H2 2010 2SS Camaro
Don't forget whiletaking out a loan you'll have to get full coverage insurance. But if you can afford it is such a sweet ride. I feel like a rock star driving this car. Everytime I go anywere I have all kinds of people talking to me saying how much they love this car. But don't get yourself in any type of financial hardship that if you lose your income you don't want to ruin your credit because even being sweet car your credit is important since it's your credit for your whole life. Even though your still young and don't think it will matter when you get ready to have a family you will need credit to buy a house and other needs. Also alot of jobs are doing credit checks Now adage to see how reliable a person is and wether to hire them.

Closed Thread