Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 05-23-2011, 03:06 PM   #15
RanDMC

Drives: 1LT/SS
I guess I'll just have to keep working at it. I see that you say MF should only be used to remove polish and wax in the thread you linked to. I hope my next try at washing the car turns out that way!
RanDMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 03:18 PM   #16
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Drives: 2001 Corvette Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by RanDMC View Post
I guess I'll just have to keep working at it. I see that you say MF should only be used to remove polish and wax in the thread you linked to. I hope my next try at washing the car turns out that way!
Exactly. If your towels are getting black soot and dirt all over them, then you are using them totally wrong and on a dirty car. My towels never look like they have been used to clean anything but a brand spanking new car.

Junkman2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 03:44 PM   #17
TC

Drives: 2010 VR 2SS-RS
What is the best towel to use for drying? I just did my first wash with my Adams stuff and wasn't very impressed with the large waffle weave towel. Left lots of streaks and spots I couldn't see until it was outside. Problem was I had already waxed it- it was nothing but blue sky and sunshine, that's why I was doing it inside? Lesson learned, I should have rolled her outside before waxing.
TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 04:10 PM   #18
Racerriders
=/S/=

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS BLACK w/INFERNO ORANGE
I used this method yesterday when I did my car. By doing it, and then using my leaf blower i had very, very minimal water to get off the car, a little quick detail and a good towel and walla (sp) beautiful black clean car.

Junkman If you ever make it up to Regina SK Canada the steaks are on me sir :-) for all the great tips you have provided me/us sir.

Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
Have you watched this video? There's not much more to explain than what I explain in it.

Here you go.

2011 SS/RS Black & IO
GO =/S/=
Racerriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 07:44 PM   #19
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC View Post
What is the best towel to use for drying? I just did my first wash with my Adams stuff and wasn't very impressed with the large waffle weave towel. Left lots of streaks and spots I couldn't see until it was outside. Problem was I had already waxed it- it was nothing but blue sky and sunshine, that's why I was doing it inside? Lesson learned, I should have rolled her outside before waxing.
How can you say that the drying towel caused the streaking problem when you didn't check the car until you waxed it? I would put hard money on the streaking being due to how you applied and removed the wax. The waffle weave drying towels are excellent for sucking up water fast and leaving no streaks. I. however, use heated air to dry my car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racerriders View Post
I used this method yesterday when I did my car. By doing it, and then using my leaf blower i had very, very minimal water to get off the car, a little quick detail and a good towel and walla (sp) beautiful black clean car.

Junkman If you ever make it up to Regina SK Canada the steaks are on me sir :-) for all the great tips you have provided me/us sir.

Joe
Got it! I have filed your city away as another steak eating destination!

Old 05-31-2011, 09:48 AM   #20
adamDallas
Blast Airbush

Drives: Sts-V
if you wash the car, its impossible to avoid swirls. The best towels are the microfiber.
They WILL give you swirls, just not as bad as anything else. Buy them at walmart...quit wasting your money on expensive micro towels. They are the same at walmart or autozone.
Clay bar is actually worse on the finish, but thats its purpose. Meant to "dig" in and remove dirt and grime that has breached the clear. If not done correctly you can SEVERELY scratch your paint. Make sure to follow with a good seal and wax coat.
adamDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:50 AM   #21
adamDallas
Blast Airbush

also its best to wash/dry in the shade. The sun with dry the soap/water too fast and will leave BAD streaks and spots.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:32 AM   #22
Tecca

Drives: ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamDallas View Post
if you wash the car, its impossible to avoid swirls. The best towels are the microfiber.
They WILL give you swirls, just not as bad as anything else. Buy them at walmart...quit wasting your money on expensive micro towels. They are the same at walmart or autozone.
Quote:
also its best to wash/dry in the shade. The sun with dry the soap/water too fast and will leave BAD streaks and spots.

Ohhhh Brother
Tecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 12:40 PM   #23
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamDallas View Post
Clay bar is actually worse on the finish, but thats its purpose. Meant to "dig" in and remove dirt and grime that has breached the clear. If not done correctly you can SEVERELY scratch your paint. Make sure to follow with a good seal and wax coat.
Wow. You are truly plugged in to the detailing Matrix. Talk about not having a clue...

Old 05-31-2011, 03:57 PM   #24
adamDallas
Blast Airbush

the truth hurts, i know
Old 05-31-2011, 04:45 PM   #25
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
oh boy....
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 04:59 PM   #26
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
Old 05-31-2011, 05:22 PM   #27
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan@Adams View Post
oh boy....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwantone2 View Post

Now I've got to add to that...

Old 05-31-2011, 05:46 PM   #28
ckaram

Drives: 2011 2SS RS, 1968 ragtop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
I. however, use heated air to dry my car.
Yo Junkman, which blower amp/size/speed do you recommend?

Thanks, man.