Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 03-13-2012, 09:20 AM   #43
tramtwo

Drives: 2021 1LE
...maybe we can get someone to write us a country western song.

I just passed 12K and my top looks horrid but works very well... going to let them tape it this week, and so the process starts.
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:30 AM   #44
Lee123

Drives: 2012 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drago77 View Post
Spoke w GM again today, the requested another set of pix of my cars top marks, to "compare to the fix being released" as well as actually asking my input on what I believe the cause is... explained the lotion test results and Sux's latest fix... we'll see where that goes... but overall, I feel like im making genuine progress!
Does this strike anyone else as a bit strange? We've heard recently that the "final fix" was all worked out, and yet they are asking what you think the problem is and asking for pictures of your top. If there was a "final fix" doesn't it seem like GM would be saying "Another top is broken, send someone out to apply the fix" rather than "Another top is broken, I wonder what could be wrong?" Believe me, I'd really like to think they have this all worked out and I can count on a permanent fix if I have problems, but this doesn't do much to inspire confidence.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:25 PM   #45
bowtye

Drives: 2011 iom ss/rs convertable
well rub marks are the least of my worries.it stopped leaking water in. but now it knocks,rattles and sounds like the window is open! 50k dont get ya much!!!
bowtye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:28 PM   #46
spikess581

Drives: IOM2SSconvertible,64 malibu,04fxdwg
Alas I fear no fix actually exists. I hope I am wrong but it sure don't look good. Hopefully Nut is out enjoying his ''fixed'' vert and will report in when he gets back home. Really interested because mine is supposed to go under the knife tomorrow.
spikess581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:59 PM   #47
Nutbutt

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS Convertible
Well, my car was not ready today. The GM mechanics didn't arrive till almost noon time (flight delayed). Went to take a look and the whole back of the car was still taped off to prevent scratches. Looks like there was very little left to do but then again I don't want to rush this at all.
As for THE fix everyone talks about. I believe the fix according to GM is first doing the band aid TSBs that trim the brackets and apply tape to the mechanics. If this doesn't work and the 5th bow breaks. They will then replace the whole top with the new mechanics.
Listening to the GM mechanics the TSBs for rubbing and 5th bow replacement work 90% of the time. They seem to believe the early release 2011s have the most issues with both the top and the water management system.
I didn't get a good look at the canvas that was going to be installed but I'm hoping for something similar to the original.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:23 PM   #48
whidobie

Drives: 2011 Camaro Convertible 2SS RS
Flight delays? I heard they were waiting on the "Fix" before takeoff!
whidobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:44 PM   #49
Drago77
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

Drives: 19 2SS vert, Mosaic Blk, A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by whidobie View Post
Flight delays? I heard they were waiting on the "Fix" before takeoff!
Drago77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:12 PM   #50
RamGrad

Drives: '11 2LT/RS Vert, '68 Chevy C10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactuseater View Post
If anybody gets the TSB # on this posted up here (The latest fix) please post. I'm sitting on the fence with my dealership - did not let them touch the top until the "end game" fix was in. Thanks!

My top has this exact same hole and the rub marks on the other side. Currently I use a little hand towel placed in this location in, similar to Dragos tape fix when the top is down. My question is, if the new fix is just a new canvas cover, is it just more "puncture resistant" than the old one is? If we know the issue is with pinching and the frame of the top (the lotion tests), do they also correct the old TSB's with the slickery tape first, then add the new tougher canvas? It seems to me replacing the old canvas with a new canvas is going to wear exactly the same and not fix anything.
RamGrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:21 PM   #51
Drago77
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee123 View Post
Does this strike anyone else as a bit strange? We've heard recently that the "final fix" was all worked out, and yet they are asking what you think the problem is and asking for pictures of your top. If there was a "final fix" doesn't it seem like GM would be saying "Another top is broken, send someone out to apply the fix" rather than "Another top is broken, I wonder what could be wrong?" Believe me, I'd really like to think they have this all worked out and I can count on a permanent fix if I have problems, but this doesn't do much to inspire confidence.
I definitely see what your saying... however after 2 top replacements already; I trying to be optimistic this time...

The rationale they gave me behind the pix (which perhaps I'm just being overly faithful) is that I'm so far from my servicing dealership (103 miles, each way) that they want to ensure what they do will in fact correct my problem... I understand they are bringing in special technicians in to do the repairs... and probably, more than my time, they don't wanna waste their own.

In addition; I've found that "other " mark on the rear driver side panel - as much as i complain about the "rub marks" this ones far worse... that may be generating issues as well since i included that in my complaint.

Another status update next week...
Old 03-15-2012, 02:00 PM   #52
Nutbutt

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS Convertible
Stopped at the Dealership to check on my FULL top replacement, mechanics and canvas. Still not ready :( But they are doing the right thing. apparently the new full top replacement came with a water management system attached. However the one that was attached was not the new design and the one that was in my car that was the new design was ripped out when they took the top off. SO I had to wait to get a replacement NEW design water management system delivered.
Everything looks good and I'm going to try and get some pics tonight of the new top mechanics to compare with my old one. I can say the new brackets are much different and moved to slightly different locations.
I still believe the FIX that GM has talked about is this replacement but they are only doing it after the TSBs have been found not to work.
Got to go back to work, more later !
Old 03-19-2012, 01:16 PM   #53
Drago77
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

3/19 update

Ladies and gentlemen, prepare for a collective gasp of air... "Convertible owners will be receiving a letter in the mail within 2-4 weeks regarding inspection/repair of the top rub marks as the final fix is being scheduled for release." Per my BBB and GM rep... was additionally told I will be personally notified once the fix is released and my vehicle delegated to a Field Engineer for the fix to be applied and warranty issued!!!!!!!
Old 03-19-2012, 01:30 PM   #54
'11 cyber grey vert
"SHARK" Born Apr.26,2011

Drives: 2011 CGM 2LT/RS Convertible
Quote:
Ladies and gentlemen, prepare for a collective gasp of air... "Convertible owners will be receiving a letter in the mail within 2-4 weeks regarding inspection/repair of the top rub marks as the final fix is being scheduled for release." Per my BBB and GM rep... was additionally told I will be personally notified once the fix is released and my vehicle delegated to a Field Engineer for the fix to be applied and warranty issued!!!!!!!
Drago....CONGRATS!!!!

I wonder if GM will issue the letter to Canadians as well.I guess time will tell....should be interesting.
'11 cyber grey vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:53 PM   #55
deryk
Cruisin the Golden State!

Drives: 2011 Victory Red Camaro Convertible
Quote:
Sweet baby Jesus what beautiful Monday it is!
Old 03-19-2012, 01:57 PM   #56
Wantconvertible

Drives: 2011 SS/RS VERT
Wantconvertible is offline   Reply With Quote