Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 12-03-2012, 09:39 AM   #575
Dexman1349
2010 2SS/RS M6

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by flht99b View Post
Just my opinion but the GM GTO ( Holden ) reservoir is the way to go. No one has the R&D money GM has to develop this piece. It works on the GTO and I hazard to say there are over a thousand of us running them on the Camaro. And yes, every manual shift gen 5 Camaro should have had a remote clutch reservoir ( like the Corvette and GTO have from the factory ). The idea of getting clutch dust into the brake hydraulic system which is what happens with a shared ( 5th gen Camaro ) brake/clutch hydraulic reservoir system is just absurd. Plus the difficulty of flushing/bleeding the clutch hydraulic system is magnified when the brakes and clutch share the same reservoir. I can tell you the GM engineers who looked at my separate/remote clutch reservoir setup at the 3rd C5 fest at Indy this past August were both impressed as well as admitted the addition of the separate clutch reservoir makes good "real world" sense.
Ed M.
Installed mine over the weekend and very impressed with the ease of doing this. Seriously, for the price of parts and a couple hours of your time, you really can't go wrong with doing it. It's cheap insurance.

Now all that's left is a good clutch & brake system flush which will probably be scheduled with the 30k maintenance appointment.
Dexman1349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:23 AM   #576
flht99b

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS RJT
Depending on the usage of your car ( track or just normal street driving ) you may find you'll want to flush the clutch hydraulic system more often. I see clutch dust in mine in as little as 8K street miles.
Ed M.
RJT 2SS/RS, AAM 3.70's, MTI Sway Bars, Shifter & SS brake lines, ZLI calipers, rotors & pads, BMR Trailing & Toe Arms, rear cradle & diff bushes, Pedders XA's, Camber/Toe eccentrics, Radius arm inserts, GTO clutch reservoir, LS9 cam, Comp valve springs, Melling 10296 oil pump, CR5 timing chain, LS6 damper, CAI Cold Air Intake, ARH LT headers w/HF cats, GMPP touring axle back, Elite Engineering Catch Can, Forgeline 20x9.5 & 20x11 DS3 whls, 275/40/20 & 315/35/20 tires, 2011 Convertible spoiler, 1LE front spoiler, Lloyd "SS" Floor Mats, GM Camaro Trunk Mat, wrapped console & Grant steering wheel.
flht99b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:29 AM   #577
IDEALG
Chevy's "Rumble" Best!

Drives: 2015 ZL1 6 speed
Send a message via AIM to IDEALG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgizzle View Post
You are not missing anything but separating it from brakes is the whole point. First, lot less fluid to take care off. Second, makes bleeding brakes a lot easier since it is separated from the clutch now.

A bit before I take my car out of the garage next year I am going to bleed my brakes with some racing blue and separating the reservoirs is going to be so much easier so that I don't have to worry about the clutch for the time being. It will allow me to use different fluids too etc.

Now if someone would only sell me a reservoir with a bracket!!! please
I have reservoirs but mine don't come with the bracket. I install then on the inside of the front fender. I have pics if you want to see.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:44 PM   #578
Dexman1349
2010 2SS/RS M6

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by flht99b View Post
Depending on the usage of your car ( track or just normal street driving ) you may find you'll want to flush the clutch hydraulic system more often. I see clutch dust in mine in as little as 8K street miles.
Ed M.
I'm at 26k now and haven't done one yet. I replaced as much fluid as possible by draining the brake reservoir then filling both reservoirs with new fluid when installing (making sure to not introduce air pockets). That should at least get me the last 4k before I get everything flushed, and seeing as the car isn't driven as often once the snow flies, it probably won't be until spring. I'd like to upgrade both fluids to a DOT4, but we'll see how things go.
Dexman1349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:47 PM   #579
RichieSSZ28
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 10' 2SS/RS & 14' Sierra Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue70SS View Post
They actually have a good point. Brake fluid shouldn't be vented..... everytime air is exchanged, humidity gets sucked out of the air into the fluid - which breaks it down quicker. It's the same reason why you don't want to leave a bottle a brake fluid open to the air - it shortens the life. That why brake fluids have "dry" and "wet" boiling points. New fluid doesn't compress as much (good) as old fluid that is getting towards the "wet" side. The older fluid with higher water content will lead to a softer pedal and actually can boil (depending on the fluid quality) when pushed really hard with burnouts, which would put air in the line.

That was part of the reason I chose the reservoir I did. It has a baffle top that lets the fluid move up and down and not slosh around so much on hard driving - something more important with high end motorcycles.

One other thing that may explain the difference in feel between the two reservoirs - the inside diameter of the Ring Brothers may have been bigger than the GTO. When I had the GTO one, we had drilled it out larger to flow better - and yes, it does help. Did you make sure the hose ran uphill from the clutch master cylinder to reservoir? If there are any high spots, air can get trapped...... even if doing the fluid swap/pumping method.

I actually mounted the reservoir parallel with the master cylinder. I don't drive the car hard at all. I rarely even drive it but when I want to get on it or a Mustang gets beside me I don't like not being able to clutch properly. I understand the fluid can possibly get air and moisture inside. The level was still halfway just like it was when I installed it 6 months ago. I'm going to flush the fluid real god this time and see the issue. The ports is an 1/4" with a push lock end. The volume is efficient and flow. It should just travel back and forth. Could HP have this effect on a stock clutch?? I have a tune, Headers, exhaust, CAI plus a MGW short throw shifter. So I am able to shift quicker. I don't know the true capabilities on a stock clutch. I have seen something at 450HP. I'm sure I'm above this mark.
SLP 1-3/4" LT Headers, 3" High flow cats,MGW short throw shifter with Orange SS, Magnaflow 2.5" Street series aggressive full system exhaust with 4" Tips, MGW Short throw shifter, K&N CAI, SLP 160 thermostat, Diablo Sport Tune by SLP, Sinister Street scene Package, Custom Two Tone paint scheme(Pearl black and Inferno Orange) by Owens Customizing, Two tone Engine cover, 22" Gianelle Cuba 10 matte black with ball cut details, Vredestein SUV assanta tires 265/35 and 315/30.
RichieSSZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:16 PM   #580
IndeedSS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
I have one of the larger capacity reservoirs shown here http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=544

It is brand new and for sale. It is the complete res, bracket, and two spring clips. PM me if you are interested.

She is only memory now.
IndeedSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:01 AM   #581
Klepton

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS, LS3, SW w/ IOM package
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imjaybird View Post
Here is my upgrade, thanks again to 2SSRS!
My fluid was turned dark after only 7k.
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
Thanks to Imjaybird's design, I got a new bracket. Now mines level. I also got the edmp plug as well.
Are either of you guys selling one of these brackets? I prefer these bent ones because they allow the use of the stock brake/clutch hose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS View Post
All you had to do is PM me i have them all day long.
Are you still selling the GTO clutch reservoirs? If so, please PM me with the details for purchasing one.
Klepton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:57 AM   #582
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klepton View Post
Are either of you guys selling one of these brackets? I prefer these bent ones because they allow the use of the stock brake/clutch hose.

Are you still selling the GTO clutch reservoirs? If so, please PM me with the details for purchasing one.
Yes. You can buy one on gen5diy.com
Old 02-07-2013, 09:31 PM   #583
Klepton

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS, LS3, SW w/ IOM package
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
Yes. You can buy one on gen5diy.com
Thanks Stig, but unfortunately I don't need the whole kit he sells. I think it's a great kit because it provides everything you need for this mod (including a Syringe). However, it's for those that want to attach the clutch reservoir to the strut tower (or some other location), which doesn't require a bracket but does require a longer hose than the stock one. What I'm looking for is a bent bracket to attach the clutch reservoir to the brake reservoir and still have the clutch reservoir close enough to the stock brake reservoir line to use it.
Klepton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:02 PM   #584
JDP Motorsports

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/ 2016 Camaro SS
We've got a complete kit with the bracket, hardware, hose and cap. We also offer a Stage II with the Automatic Camaro brake reservoir with the molded factory cap. Our thread is HERE.

Stage I

Stage II

It's a simple install and everything is included with our kits.

Kind regards,

Jordan Priestley
JDP Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:08 PM   #585
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Bump for the new guys.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:27 PM   #586
GVA 45TH 2SS
KNGTFALL

Drives: 2012 2SS 45th edition
I read the 1st 10 pages but didn't see an answer.
When installing the reservoir how do you minimize the amount of air you get into the system? And how do you bleed the air out that will get in there on the clutch side?
What Brand fluid are most using?
Thanks
GVA 45TH 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:36 PM   #587
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Pump up the pedal 10 times fast then stop for 1 min and do it 1 more time( 10 times fast) i used a good brand and a dot 4.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:41 PM   #588
GVA 45TH 2SS
KNGTFALL

Drives: 2012 2SS 45th edition
Thanks, you didn't have to prime the hose from the res 1st?
Just hook everything up then fill the res with fluid, then pump the pedal?
GVA 45TH 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote