Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 03-21-2012, 10:30 AM   #1
yourWHAThurtz

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS RS
Powder Coating RS Wheels

I know there are a lot of threads out there about this, but if anyone has been through this process I could use some advice.

I'm looking to get my RS wheels powder coated semi-gloss black. I've received quotes all over the map from various vendors, but only a few of them offer the service of mounting and balancing.

Another problem is that I can't afford to be without my car for long. I have about 4 days I can give up next month but other than that, I commute to work on a daily basis during the week.

Anyone know of a quality vendor in ARIZONA who can get this done for a reasonable price? Thanks.

yourWHAThurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:06 PM   #2
Nicklongino

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS
Im from texas and theres a very well known powdercoating place that says 250 for gloss black for all 4 wheels ready in 2 days. I just used plasti-dip to make them matte black for now. Just trying to give you a price around that area if it helps and hopefully people will respond to this post.
Nicklongino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:20 PM   #3
HIOFECR

Drives: Black 2010 Camaro 2SS
you could always do what i did, pickup an extra set of wheels in the forum and run those while you're having yours powder coated then turn around and sell the extra set afterward. I actually came out $100 bucks to the good because I got such a good deal online by a fellow member on his 2011 RS wheels (sold my nonRS wheels after the powdercoat for $100 more than I paid for the ones I had powdercoated)

SQUEEZE THROTTLE. FEEL GROUND RUMBLE
HIOFECR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 04:51 PM   #4
yourWHAThurtz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicklongino View Post
Im from texas and theres a very well known powdercoating place that says 250 for gloss black for all 4 wheels ready in 2 days. I just used plasti-dip to make them matte black for now. Just trying to give you a price around that area if it helps and hopefully people will respond to this post.
I appreciate the feedback. I've had quotes ranging from $45/wheel to $250/wheel. The higher quotes obviously mount and balance but seem a little steep to me.

Sounds like I need to move to Texas...

Old 03-21-2012, 04:56 PM   #5
yourWHAThurtz

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIOFECR View Post
you could always do what i did, pickup an extra set of wheels in the forum and run those while you're having yours powder coated then turn around and sell the extra set afterward. I actually came out $100 bucks to the good because I got such a good deal online by a fellow member on his 2011 RS wheels (sold my nonRS wheels after the powdercoat for $100 more than I paid for the ones I had powdercoated)
Not a bad idea at all. I tried convincing a local shop to buy a set of "loaner" wheels and tires for when people bring their Camaro wheels in for powder coating but the owner wasn't sold on the idea.

He's missing out on business because most people can't afford to be without a car for more than a day or two!

Old 03-22-2012, 04:41 PM   #6
yourWHAThurtz

I got a terrible quote from the dealer of $800, but I'm tempted to spend the extra money for the warranty and level of quality.

That price includes powder coating the wheels and caps, balancing, mounting, and replenishing the tires with nitrogen. Should I even consider this or will I have the word "SUCKER" tattooed on my forehead?

Also, anyone running Gorilla black lug nuts? I was curious whether these chip/scratch when torqued.

Old 04-02-2012, 03:23 AM   #7
BlueDvl1214

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT RS
Quote:
Hi, where is this place located?
BlueDvl1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:26 PM   #8
AtotheJ
2010 Camaro 2SS LS3

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDvl1214 View Post
Hi, where is this place located?

yes, i'm interested as well...

| TSP Headers | Magnaflow | CAI | LMR Tune | BC Racing | Pfadt Sways |
AtotheJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:58 PM   #9
cajun2010

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS
mine were 500, but i am happy with them!!

Good luck

cajun2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:57 PM   #10
yourWHAThurtz

Does anyone have the black lug nuts from Gorilla? Do they scratch at all?

Old 04-03-2012, 01:17 AM   #11
GatorUSMC

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourWHAThurtz View Post
I got a terrible quote from the dealer of $800, but I'm tempted to spend the extra money for the warranty and level of quality.

That price includes powder coating the wheels and caps, balancing, mounting, and replenishing the tires with nitrogen. Should I even consider this or will I have the word "SUCKER" tattooed on my forehead?

Sounds pretty high but I don't buy into dealer's nitrogen hype.

Check your local Costco Tire Center if you want nitrogen, see what they'll do for you...
GatorUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:22 PM   #12
Bgrow

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
I'm from Houston. I'm very interested in getting my stock rims powder coated too. What was the place that did it for $250 in two days. Did you have to bring the bare rims to them or could you drop the car off and pick it up in two days?
Bgrow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, arizona, phoenix, powder coating, powder coating wheels