Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-31-2008, 09:56 AM   #1
minibus135

Drives: VW GTI
Smile Is it alright for Asians????

Hi, I am Korean and have been living all around the world and will soon move to the U.S. in a year or so and I am planning to buy the Camaro but I always have this perception that American muscle cars are for Americans only and ppl will stare at me on the road!!

I mean, Americans drive Hyundai's (I know they suck) and Honda's, but it seems a little different somehow for an Asian like me to drive a car like a Camaro...

Is this just my stupid perception of am I right? Any opinions?
minibus135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 10:04 AM   #2
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
It's perfectly allright!!!
"American Muscle" isn't only for Americans. It just originated here.

If they stare, I agree - it'll be a the Camaro, not you.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:05 AM   #3
minibus135

Drives: VW GTI
Wow, those are some fast replies!! Cheers~ and it's great to hear that!!
minibus135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 10:25 AM   #4
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
We are certainly proud of our muscle car history. We certainly want to share them with the entire world. If you come across someone who doesn't think you should be driving an American muscle car, send them here, We'll straighten them out...

Hopefully your time here will show you a much more appealing view of the U.S.

Where will you be living when you get here?
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 10:31 AM   #5
jmliptak

Drives: D
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibus135 View Post
Hi, I am Korean and have been living all around the world and will soon move to the U.S. in a year or so and I am planning to buy the Camaro but I always have this perception that American muscle cars are for Americans only and ppl will stare at me on the road!!

I mean, Americans drive Hyundai's (I know they suck) and Honda's, but it seems a little different somehow for an Asian like me to drive a car like a Camaro...

Join the party, I don't think it is an issue at all, I think I can safely say that Camaro enthusiasts cut across all background, age, and socio-economic groups! Welcome to the board!!

jmliptak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 10:42 AM   #6
linkwpc
The punching cat

Drives: '10 Camaro SS Black W/Hugger&W/IOI
I have a friend who is asian and drives a white Saleen mustang with a very very load exhuast and he love people looking at his car. He does not want to drive any Japanese car or Korean car. People tell him its cool that he drives a american car and not a "Asian car" Plus, the asian girls love his car.
linkwpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 11:03 AM   #7
KatarHol

Drives: '04 Mustang GT
The car who designed the '05-09 Mustang is Vietnamese,and of course,how can anyone forget.....Larry Shinoda of Corvette and Boss 302 fame.
KatarHol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 11:09 AM   #8
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:

I read somewhere recently that many Japaneese collectors are coming over here and buying up 60's American Muscle cars for greatly inflated prices. thus driving up the prices for us.
I see many Asians driving American cars. I think it is wonderful that an Asian would choose and American car over an Asian car. So Buy one and brag to your Asian friends how great it is to drive one. Maybe we can change people's perceptions of American cars then.

I saw an interview with a Asian Businessman one time, He was driving a Big old Caddy.. The reporter asked why he was driving that instead of a Mercedes or Lexus, He said "I spend my money where I made it".... I wish everyone thought that way.
Old 07-31-2008, 11:26 AM   #9
Beelzebubba
cheap plastic member

Drives: Mazda6s
Quote:

It is perfectly acceptable for a Korean to drive an American car.

In fact, if your grandparents were alive during WWII, for them, it would be unacceptable for you to drive a Japanese car. After all the Japanese did to Korea and her people.
Beelzebubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 11:41 AM   #10
aston70

Drives: Me Nutz!! Arrrrgh...
And if you want to crack us up, watch the movie "Better off Dead", and then learn to speak Howard Cosell.

"The film also introduces two Korean drag racing brothers, one of whom learned English by impersonating Howard Cosell"
aston70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 11:44 AM   #11
jmliptak

Quote:
Originally Posted by aston70 View Post
And if you want to crack us up, watch the movie "Better off Dead", and then learn to speak Howard Cosell.

"The film also introduces two Korean drag racing brothers, one of whom learned English by impersonating Howard Cosell"
AND there is a Camaro in the movie.....
Old 07-31-2008, 11:45 AM   #12
aston70

Drives: Me Nutz!! Arrrrgh...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmliptak View Post
AND there is a Camaro in the movie.....
Oh. yeah and that too... der...
aston70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 11:49 AM   #13
jmliptak

http://betteroffdeadcamaro.com/

This guy found it and restored it. Great site. If you look at "Shots from the Movie" they have stills from the scene where he races the Cosell brothers involving large quantities of tire smoke.....
Old 07-31-2008, 12:01 PM   #14
AFSNightrod
Back in Black

Drives: 2005 Cadillac CTS-V
Send a message via AIM to AFSNightrod Send a message via Yahoo to AFSNightrod
It doesn't matter who you are. I used to know an Asian guy who owned both a 1970 Chevelle and a 1968 Camaro. He worked on both of them himself, and knew what he was talking about when it came to cars. I dont care who it is, I respect anybody who has such a passion for the hobby. It doesn't matter really who you are or what you drive. You won't be looked at any different. If anything you will be more respected for embracing the worldwide hobby and choosing something non stereotypical. Rock on .
AFSNightrod is offline   Reply With Quote