Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 08-24-2013, 05:05 PM   #15
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcosta View Post
This is Maybe My Fault for not getting it checked but none of these dealers here in AZ have heard of this problem yet.
My car first started having problems where when you started the car I had no power steering and this was only at 200 miles or so.Let it sit for a little bit and all worked fine.
Happened again a few more times and called the dealer and they acted like ,
No we never heard of this problem..So I thought i would just wait and see what happens.
The car now has 5400 mile and guess what???
I manage two automotive repair shops and you know how Fridays can be.
Everything that can go wrong has so far.I was on my way to pick up some parts around the corner and was making a left hand turn,not really speeding but was moving a little..and bammmmm No power steering and it jerked the wheel out of my hand and almost took out a Truck and a nice big curb..
Sprang my wrist pretty good ,not broken but holy cow was that close.
What would have happened if this happen to my wife if she was driving..She would have taken out the truck and the curb!!!!
This car has a doctors appt on Monday at the dealer...This was too close!!!
Not Happy ..
Hello,

I am so sorry to hear that you are experiencing an issue with your vehicle. Is there anything we can assist you with? I would like to look into this concern for you.

Regards,

Jennifer T. (Assisting William)
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 08:14 PM   #16

Drives: Getaway Special
Wasn't there an issue with the electric power steering harness rubbing a sharp part of the subframe .... that could cause it to short out? I wrapped the harness in spliced rubber hose at the particular location early on. Hope that's all it is.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:40 AM   #17
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
Hello,

I am so sorry to hear that you are experiencing an issue with your vehicle. Is there anything we can assist you with? I would like to look into this concern for you.

Regards,

Jennifer T. (Assisting William)
Chevrolet Customer Care
Yes. PM him. There is a lot of help him and others need.
Won't be funny when some incident ends up on the front page of a newspaper.
URBAN LEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 02:23 PM   #18
dcosta

Drives: 17 ZL1 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
Yes. PM him. There is a lot of help him and others need.
Won't be funny when some incident ends up on the front page of a newspaper.
I Contacted them.

DCosta9
dcosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:32 PM   #19
dcosta

At Dealer !!!

Dropped off at the dealer today and they found lots of codes but still have no clue unless it happens while they have it.
Good luck with that one.
It took 4k miles to repeat it self this last time.
They found low voltage codes.

DCosta9
Old 08-26-2013, 11:34 PM   #20
Outwestjim

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Convertible
Hello,
Just picked up my ZL1 the first of August, had the dreaded power steering error at ~900 miles.
Not sure if it was related, but I also noticed the engine turned over slower at startup than others I'd driven. The voltage would sometimes show just barely over 12 with the engine running.
On a hunch, I tightened the terminals at the battery, though they didn't seem to be loose.
The engine turned over faster, voltmeter came up, and I've not had a repeat of the power steering failure, now at 3,200 miles.
Outwestjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:08 AM   #21
ZL1 TIBS

Drives: 1968 Camaro, 2012 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outwestjim View Post
Hello,
Just picked up my ZL1 the first of August, had the dreaded power steering error at ~900 miles.
Not sure if it was related, but I also noticed the engine turned over slower at startup than others I'd driven. The voltage would sometimes show just barely over 12 with the engine running.
On a hunch, I tightened the terminals at the battery, though they didn't seem to be loose.
The engine turned over faster, voltmeter came up, and I've not had a repeat of the power steering failure, now at 3,200 miles.
The low voltage is normal, the computer regulates when the alternator puts out a charge and when it doesn't. RUn the voltmeter on your display and you will see it change as you drive. I believe this is unrelated to the steering failures.
ZL1 TIBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:03 AM   #22
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
dcosta, why don't they just get authorization to replace the EPAS and see if the problem goes away? I'd at least push for them to do something.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:08 PM   #23
dcosta

This could get Interesting!!!!!

Yeah just talked to the Chevy dealer ..
Unless it happens to them which it won't they don't want to do anything.
The Chevrolet rep has not talked to them yet.
The dealer said they are waiting for his call but no news as of yet.
I think they just want me to drive it and wreck it then buy me a new one...lol

DCosta9
Old 08-27-2013, 10:28 PM   #24
muscle96ss

Drives: 02 SS 35th LE Vert, 2013 ZL-1 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcosta View Post
Yeah just talked to the Chevy dealer ..
Unless it happens to them which it won't they don't want to do anything.
The Chevrolet rep has not talked to them yet.
The dealer said they are waiting for his call but no news as of yet.
I think they just want me to drive it and wreck it then buy me a new one...lol
Heres what you do. When you goto pick the car up you tell the service manager at the dealership to write on your receipt that he does not think that you are in any danger by continuing to drive the car in the current condition and with the history you have described, and to sign it. If he refuses then tell him to do whatever he needs to do to get the car in condition to where he feels you are not in any danger.
muscle96ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 12:36 PM   #25
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Since the steering is electric and not hydraulic look over you electrical connections and grounds.

All it takes is a bad ground or loose power connection to cause what you ar talking about. battery cable not tight enough I have seen cause issue for a person. someone moving the ground stud but not understanding ground caused a person an issue.

Intermitten probalems are an absolute PITA to trouble shoot though.

there is a power junction box in the front under the hook make sure everthings is A-ok there.

I would also put some dielectric grease int he connectors make sure there is not a moisture int he contacts issue.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 02:19 PM   #26
SlitherByU

Drives: 2018 GT350R
OP, please don't take this wrong but I wouldn't suggest you start digging around in your wiring and trouble shooting this issue. Not a dig on your skills but I think even the GM service rep around here wouldn't suggest that either. I don't see how you could drive this car with confidence right now. If this happens again then fight to have it escalated.

Leave the trouble shooting to qualified technicians with schematics and test equipment.
SlitherByU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 02:25 PM   #27
Supersonick

Drives: Camaro ZL1 Inferno Orange
I got nearly the same.. I post some time ago.. I was driving and all of the sudden power steering was gone. Fortunately I was in straight line and maybe no more than 40km/h..
In my case, dust was got inside ABS sensor box of the front wheel, and caused all the electronics (and power steering) gone...
they clean up, re-sealed and no problem after...
Supersonick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 04:01 PM   #28
dcosta

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlitherByU View Post
OP, please don't take this wrong but I wouldn't suggest you start digging around in your wiring and trouble shooting this issue. Not a dig on your skills but I think even the GM service rep around here wouldn't suggest that either. I don't see how you could drive this car with confidence right now. If this happens again then fight to have it escalated.

Leave the trouble shooting to qualified technicians with schematics and test equipment.
Well I have all the schematics and all test equipment to work on this car but not on my dime.
I have been working and building cars for 30 years.I do this for a living and most of the GM techs that are looking at my car I used to work with. So could I find this??? Yes but again not on my dime..I am just a little bit better at letting them know whats going on then some.
I paid a lot of money for this car and I am not going to void my warranty by diving into this matter.NO!!......lol
It's just that if someone other than myself is driving this car and this happens to them and wrecks this car and gets hurt or hurts somebody then that would not be good at all.I juat can't believe I am the only one here in AZ that has had this problem.
The dealer can't figure out whats wrong until the power steering goes out and stays out..other then that they would just be throwing parts at it..I know I've seen them do it ...lol..So No Worries I'm not Working on it!!!!
So when you say let the qualified technicians handle it.. That in most cases is me..I work on a lot of cars for other shops that can not figure out whats going on..sorry not butt hurt Just upset about a $60k car with problems..
By the Way The A/C is fixed ..Even The dealer couldn't figure this one out!!!!

DCosta9