Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-29-2008, 04:47 PM   #15
da808n

Drives: 2002 Silverado 1500
is the block gonna be a cast iron or all aluminum? I was reading Camaro magazine about the LSX block june issue ,with basic GMP parts ,on the dyno it produces 500hp+
da808n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 09:00 PM   #16
2010_5thgen

Drives: 2012 Porsche Panamera 4
im in for that power package!!!! im looking to get close to 550 at the wheels of my camaro.
2010_5thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 10:56 PM   #17
AirGoya

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
When they say they had a "custom tune" done, what does that mean in general? Is it messing around with the computers kinda? I've heard people talk about tuning their car but i still dont know what it really means. Thanks

AirGoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 10:57 PM   #18
Saladbar

Drives: 2006 TBSS
There are some LS3 C6's running around posting high 10's "cam only"... They're certainly no slouch. The only thing that will hold back the Camaro will be the add'l. 800# curb weight :(
Old 06-30-2008, 12:02 AM   #19
Jiu Jitsu Jon
East bound and down

Drives: 2005 Cyclone Grey GTO (M6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirGoya View Post
When they say they had a "custom tune" done, what does that mean in general? Is it messing around with the computers kinda? I've heard people talk about tuning their car but i still dont know what it really means. Thanks
Yup, cars built nowadays have so many computers that to tune them you basically plug an electronic tuner (such as a Diablo) into your car and you can change the default settings programmed for your car. Sometimes if you have mods done to your car a shop will do a custom tune for you to adjust for the mods on your car, unless you're car savvy enough to do it yourself.
Old 06-30-2008, 01:11 AM   #20
ralniv

Drives: far too much
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saladbar View Post
The only thing that will hold back the Camaro will be the add'l. 800# curb weight :(
This is precisely why I will be upset with GM if they de-tune the LS3 for use in the Camaro. There is no harm having the Camaro engine putting out the same horsepower as the stock Corvette because the 'vette has a lower curb weight, lower drag coefficient and better handling (perhaps better brakes too).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saladbar View Post
There are some LS3 C6's running around posting high 10's "cam only"... They're certainly no slouch.
Damn, really? I'm assuming these are aggressive cams with an associated custom tune. These make for good You Tube videos and drag strip cars, but are too obnoxious for daily driver use. I prefer my engine not sounding like it is about to stall out (overly lopey).
ralniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 01:32 AM   #21
Beyond Limits
Pushin a rock...

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
You sir are correct... when you change out the cam to something with more lope (how long the valve opening duration is) you have to change the computer programming to match it otherwise you end up with a computer that thinks your engine is running rich or lean or has too much knock because it is not seeing what it is expecting to see. Plus now a days the spark advance and duration is all controled by the computer which need to be modified to take advantage of the new cam settings. Pretty much anything you do to an engine these days beyond your typical intake and cat back exhaust requires some adjusting of the engine management computer to either take full advantage of or prevent it from throwing a code...
Beyond Limits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 05:26 PM   #22
AirGoya

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
oh ok thanks guys

AirGoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 09:38 PM   #23
2010_5thgen

Drives: 2012 Porsche Panamera 4
Quote:
tunning your car just basically meens getting it to run right with the mods you did to it. everything is computer run and you cant just throw a blower or power adders on without "tunning" your computer so the car runs ok. there is alot of motor tunning that has to be done too with the air/ fuel ratio to get a car to run good. hope that helps.
2010_5thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 09:49 PM   #24
stevenm357

Drives: 98 Trans am 00 Trans am 01 corvette
Quote:

ok not to contradict anyone.. but a shop like that will not use "diablo sport " or any other cheesy hand held tuner.

Today's engiens ( gen 3 and greater) are all ran by computers Sensors tell the engine if it's knocking, what kind of fuel your using how much timing to advance the spark, real time instantaneous changes to the air fuel ratio based on how far down you push the throttle.

a custom tune includes all new spark and air fuel ratio tables. different degrees of timing advance, and in drive by wire applications, even how the throttle response is felt and delivered. In an auto transmission. Line pressure, shift points and firmness are all controlled via computer.

all of this is done with an excel type spread sheet with numbers in it. those numbers are put into calculations by a micro computer to control the computer.

if i have confused you or you have any more questions feel free to ask, PM/IM or email me. Most tuning is done now with pretty in deapth computer tuners the most popular of which are HP tuners and EFI Live.

2001 Corvette
Heads,Big cam, 4:11, Custom Exhaust, MGW Shifter Baer Eradispeed +2 2 pieces rotors, Hotchkiss swaybars. and a few other little things.

1998 Trans Am A4 ( was STS turbo until the turbo and oil pump died)

2000 WS6 Trans AM under the knife ( sadly turned into long term project.
stevenm357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 10:13 PM   #25
Dunk31
Instigator

Drives: 93 Z28, 70 Chevelle SS 97 Expo
Location: Kandahar, Afghanistan/St. Louis will always be home though.
Lovin' it. That's exactly where I want to "start".
Dunk31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 10:18 PM   #26
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenm357 View Post
ok not to contradict anyone.. but a shop like that will not use "diablo sport " or any other cheesy hand held tuner.

Today's engiens ( gen 3 and greater) are all ran by computers Sensors tell the engine if it's knocking, what kind of fuel your using how much timing to advance the spark, real time instantaneous changes to the air fuel ratio based on how far down you push the throttle.

a custom tune includes all new spark and air fuel ratio tables. different degrees of timing advance, and in drive by wire applications, even how the throttle response is felt and delivered. In an auto transmission. Line pressure, shift points and firmness are all controlled via computer.

all of this is done with an excel type spread sheet with numbers in it. those numbers are put into calculations by a micro computer to control the computer.

if i have confused you or you have any more questions feel free to ask, PM/IM or email me. Most tuning is done now with pretty in deapth computer tuners the most popular of which are HP tuners and EFI Live.
Nice to see you posting again Stevenm357. Very informative too.