Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-27-2015, 05:58 PM   #15
ardailsmith

Drives: 2012 2LT LFX A6 RS Black on Black
I always look at the potential downside of things like this. For example what happens once I buy my $30,000.00 car will I be forced to stay with Android even if Apple comes out with a better phone or vice a versa.

I like the fact that you have better integration with the phones I just don't like the idea that the car you buy may determine the phone you get.

Who is going to wait 6 weeks for a delivery if the system you want is out of stock. Or will the have the ability to reprogram the car at the dealer. Will GM let you hack/mod the system like you can with your phone or will it Void the warranty.

This is a new can of worms.
Old 05-27-2015, 06:12 PM   #16
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94turbolsx View Post
The in car wifi will complement it well.
This is something I don't understand. Why would someone want to pay extra for a data plan when most phones/carriers have their own hotspot? Sure you get 3 months of service free when you buy the car but it would make more since if you could add your car to your existing data plan from your carrier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardailsmith View Post
I always look at the potential downside of things like this. For example what happens once I buy my $30,000.00 car will I be forced to stay with Android even if Apple comes out with a better phone or vice a versa.

I like the fact that you have better integration with the phones I just don't like the idea that the car you buy may determine the phone you get.

Who is going to wait 6 weeks for a delivery if the system you want is out of stock. Or will the have the ability to reprogram the car at the dealer. Will GM let you hack/mod the system like you can with your phone or will it Void the warranty.

This is a new can of worms.
Not sure what you are concerned with exactly, Android Auto and CarPlay will support any new phone with Android or iOS. MyLink will have both, it's not a pick one system.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 06:21 PM   #17
huggercamaro21
Sales Manager for Chevy

Drives: Tahoe RST
Does the Mustang offer this?
huggercamaro21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 06:29 PM   #18
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by huggercamaro21 View Post
Does the Mustang offer this?
No. Not sure if the new Sync for 2016 even mentioned this feature was being planned for the future.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 06:41 PM   #19
Kahdir

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS/RS
Cool
Kahdir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 06:45 PM   #20
cyberbro

Drives: Not a Camaro at this time
Awsome
2000 9/22/15 (Order changed)

2016 2SS With Auto, NPP, MRC, Nav, Split 5 Spoke Bright Aluminum.
cyberbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 10:23 PM   #21
RenegadeXR

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
So, Apple Carplay is supposed to support both projection via USB and via WiFi as of iOS 8.3. According to the statement from GM, the 2016 Camaro will only support CarPlay over USB. That's sort of surprising because one of the options for the 2016 Camaro at launch is a wireless charging pad for phones. What's the point of a wireless charging pad if you need to attach your phone over USB for Carplay?

As far as Android Auto goes: This was a lot later to the market than Apple's CarPlay solution. I am not surprised that GM will not initially support it. I think the first-ever car to support Android Auto was just announced this week, so they are at least 6 months behind Apple. Both are seeing very slow adoption, but by this time next year, they will be standard features on almost any car manufacturer's navigation system probably. It sounds like GM plans to begin Android Auto support in late 2016 models, although it isn't clear if the early 2016 models aren't capable by virtue of a hardware or software limitation, or whether you'll have the ability to run a firmware update at a later point. The next-gen MyLink is confirmed to support an app store and system updates if your car has the optional 4G LTE package, so it's possible.

As nuts as this sounds, this announcement is really making me excited for the 6th gen. It's also kind of sad that I need to get excited over improvement of a head unit for a $30k+ car. That just goes to show how f***ing horrible MyLink and other solutions have been until now.

Hallelujah.
RenegadeXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 11:07 PM   #22
DDustiNN

Drives: Cars
I just keep getting more and more sold on buying the 2016.

They are really doing it right!
DDustiNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 03:23 AM   #23
94turbolsx

Drives: 2001 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenegadeXR View Post
So, Apple Carplay is supposed to support both projection via USB and via WiFi as of iOS 8.3. According to the statement from GM, the 2016 Camaro will only support CarPlay over USB.
My understanding here is that the platform running Carplay needs to support running it wireless. I have iOS 8.3 running Carplay through a current gen Pioneer Nex headunit and no wireless for me. To my knowledge none of the 2015 Pioneer's support running Carplay wireless. Maybe its an issue of timing. By 2016 more platforms will likely support it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenegadeXR View Post
As nuts as this sounds, this announcement is really making me excited for the 6th gen. It's also kind of sad that I need to get excited over improvement of a head unit for a $30k+ car. That just goes to show how f***ing horrible MyLink and other solutions have been until now.

Hallelujah.
I am with you there, and as a graphic designer I am extremely critical of layout, legibility and appearance. Mylink in the 5th gens was incredibly generic looking. They are getting better though. The Mylink UI in the C7 Vette while not there yet, is worlds better than the version in the 13-15 Camaros.

Everything about Carplay looks and functions fantasic. It looks just like the phone. Android auto however looks generic to me.
Old 05-28-2015, 10:33 AM   #24
Design1stCode2nd

Drives: four wheels
This is good news, I think you will see this more and more in the next couple of years. Ford's Sync 3 coming out on 2016 cars will support AA and ACP. Hyundai is doing the same now.
Design1stCode2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 12:34 PM   #25
Forte

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS CGM W/ Black Stripes
Wow... this just really made me even more excited for the car. Great announcement.

Surprised Pandora isn't supported yet by CarPlay, but I'm sure that's coming soon.
Forte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 12:43 PM   #26
RenegadeXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94turbolsx View Post
I am with you there, and as a graphic designer I am extremely critical of layout, legibility and appearance.
It's so bad, you would almost assume somebody would step up to the plate and help GM with the graphical design as an act of kindness. I mean, honestly, the GUI was so ugly before. I'm sure somebody from Deviantart or another site could volunteer their skills and sign a waver without accepting any form of payment. There's no excuse for how ugly and unpolished this looks, as if it came from a 2000-2002 era cell phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forte View Post
Surprised Pandora isn't supported yet by CarPlay, but I'm sure that's coming soon.
Pandora has already signed on to develop an app for CarPlay. However, there's some animosity between the two companies because Apple is set to launch their own streaming service this summer, and had even tried shifting the market paradigm to get rid of free streaming in support of paid-only subscription models. So for the most part, this is totally a political matter, really.

http://www.slashgear.com/report-appl...ming-04381926/
Old 05-28-2015, 12:49 PM   #27
Forte

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS CGM W/ Black Stripes
Have to love politics. Good to hear they at least are signed up for it.

With IHeartRadio already supported, being a free service, I'd be surprised to not see Pandora come out soon. Especially with that many chevy's getting support now.
Forte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 12:54 PM   #28
RenegadeXR

Realistically, Pandora isn't missing out on much because the market penetration of CarPlay hasn't really kicked in. In a year, it's a whole different story as more auto manufacturers include it in newer models. Pandora would be very foolish to lose advertising revenue to competing streaming services that already have a CarPlay app. An extremely large percentage of people who use streaming services use it in the car. They're being stubborn, but they will cave eventually.