Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 07-25-2010, 10:28 AM   #29
BLWN SS

Drives: Orange SS/RS W/ White Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Yes sir.
Was that "Yes sir" they would be sufficient or "Yes sir" they would unsafe? lol
BLWN SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 10:37 AM   #30
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLWN SS View Post
Was that "Yes sir" they would be sufficient or "Yes sir" they would unsafe? lol
SUFFICIENT or I would have had an excuse to use this ridiculous emoticon

JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 10:55 AM   #31
bobby35ny

Drives: 18 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Generally speaking, the better the pad the worst the dust. My track pads at full race Cobalt Friction pads XR1 front and XR3 rear. If you watch racing you are seeing Cobalt Friction pads being destroyed. Carbotech in another stronger player in the racing arena and I use their pads as well. Both the Cobalt Friction and Carbotech pads make my wheels dusty by the end of the block.

The OE SS pads and OE CTS-V pads are really a good combination light track and street pad. I am really surprised that many of you are pleased with the performance of pads that make less dust than OE pads. Interesting thread.
I have been running the Ceramics for a while. Here's the thing, they MIGHT dust up the same as OEM but the dust is a lighter color. I have chrome wheels so I notice dust right away, if I drive around the block after a wash, there is plenty of dust on the rims but you really dont see it because the dust is a lighter color.
-bobby
Old 07-27-2010, 09:05 PM   #32
lee

Drives: 2010 2ss/rs
will the ceramic pads wear the rotors out quicker?
lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 03:08 AM   #33
Chris_B

Drives: Several
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee View Post
Depends on which "ceramic" pads you run and how you drive on them. Remember, to qualify for the ceramic label, an otherwise normal semi-metallic pad needs to have at least 7% ceramic content. Most of the time, pad manufacturers are using beach sand and/or other silicates. Silicates are also used for.....sandpaper.

From what I've seen, many "ceramic" pads are a bit harder on rotors for drivers that are easy on the brake pedal. As the temperatures rise a bit, they aren't as aggressive on the iron. We also need to remember that Brembo currently uses high carbon content iron for their OE rotors, which makes them somewhat softer (and, ideally, slightly less likely to ring/squeal).

Chris
Chris_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 09:50 AM   #34
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee View Post
Something has to give when you make a change in your car. The OE pads are relatively soft. As the ceramic content goes up the pad gets harder. The harder the pad the faster the rotors will wear would be a straight forward way to look at it.

Tires, brake pads and rotors are consumables on all cars. They are designed to wear out. The better they work the faster they wear out. You can put a hard high mileage tire on your car. The tires will last longer because they are 'hard'. They also will not grip the road as well as your OE Pirelli tires. Bridgestone RE-11s will grip the road much better than the Pirellis and wear out much faster than the Pirellis.

My Cobalt Friction brake pads are AWESOME from the thermal attributes (the space shuttle uses a form or ceramic tile to insulate for reentry) to shorter stopping distance and less fade. They also wear out my rotors faster. I'll make that trade off all day long. That doesn't make it the right trade off for any other Camaro owner.

The point of this long winded post is that there is no such thing as the perfect brake pad for all drivers. The way I used my OE brakes I had NO squeal. The way I bed my OE brakes is a bit different. On the track I do a 60 to 20 mph without stopping, then 80 to 20 mph, then 100 to 20 MPH then a 120 MPH to 20 without ever stopping followed by a gentle cool down lap. This conditions the rotors and pads to the use they will receive or destroys them if they are not up to the task. What works for one member may or may not work for the next.

After all of this, I happen to think the OE pads are a pretty good combination street light track pad for the casual enthusiast.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:18 AM   #35
usmcjlp

Drives: 2SS/RS LS3 RJT
Anyone concerned with brake dust can apply wheel wax. You can find it at properautocare.com.

If you clean your wheels and then apply it. It prevents brake dust from sticking. The next time you wash, it is much easier to rinse off without scrubbing or chemical cleaners. Off topic, but might help.
usmcjlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:20 AM   #36
usmcjlp

I am concerned about the brake noise. I was planning on changing to performance pads, but I would hate to end up with brake noise. Is changing the calipers the only way to avoid this?
Old 07-28-2010, 10:40 AM   #37
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcjlp View Post
I am concerned about the brake noise. I was planning on changing to performance pads, but I would hate to end up with brake noise. Is changing the calipers the only way to avoid this?
Do you have an SS?
Old 07-28-2010, 10:51 AM   #38
usmcjlp

Smile

Pete,

This is John. You did my install at Sellers last fall. Sorry, I've been gone for quite awhile. Just getting back into the forum. I talked to Wretched Motorsports about completing a track extreme package. I'm headed to Richmond Motor Speedway next month. Are you going to be on the east coast anytime soon?
Old 07-28-2010, 11:27 AM   #39
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcjlp View Post
Pete,

This is John. You did my install at Sellers last fall. Sorry, I've been gone for quite awhile. Just getting back into the forum. I talked to Wretched Motorsports about completing a track extreme package. I'm headed to Richmond Motor Speedway next month. Are you going to be on the east coast anytime soon?
John,

Make sure you see Rob BEFORE your next track day. I will be in Ohio in a week for the Summit Mustang show on Saturday and then back to Summit in I think September for the Ohio Summit Camaro show.

Please PM me you email address or send it to my email PGB@PeddersUSA.com
Old 07-28-2010, 11:36 AM   #40
ron10

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM L99
thanks for the info.interesting post.
ron10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 12:02 PM   #41
usmcjlp

Pete,

Info sent.