Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-23-2009, 05:52 PM   #1
chevyridinghigh
The Bowtie Is Back

Drives: 2010 Silver Camaro SS/RS -Blk Int.
Interior room (windows, ceiling height, visibility)

I have been in the Camaro several times now, and as previous posts have mentioned, it's no secret that the visibility is poor and the interior is somewhat claustrophobic. I just wanted to hear from people who now own the Camaro and have not had muscle/sports cars in the past and have spent some time in their new car. Have you gotten used to it? Any feedback?

PS: I'm going from a 2001 honda civic to this... the only other regular drivers i've had are parents cars including an Acura RDX, RL, TL, GM Yukon, and Buick Ranier, all large spacious cars.
Old 07-23-2009, 05:58 PM   #2
67 Convertible

Drives: 67 Camaro Convertible
I really don't understand what people are talking about. I have no visibility issues whatsoever, and didn't since day one. I do not feel claustrophobic in it and never have. I really don't understand what the big deal is....there isn't one as far as I'm concerned.
1100 - 4/28/09
2000 - 5/01/09
2500 - 5/05/09
3000 - 5/05/09
3300 - 5/30/09
3400 - 6/05/09
3800 - 6/18/09
4000 - 6/18/09
4B00 - 6/18/09
4200 - 6/22/09
5000 - 7/01/09
6000 - 7/01/09 It's Home!!
0000 - 7/14/11 Traded in with 24,000 miles. Currently 5th Gen less
67 Convertible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 06:00 PM   #3
chevyridinghigh
The Bowtie Is Back

Drives: 2010 Silver Camaro SS/RS -Blk Int.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 Convertible View Post
I really don't understand what people are talking about. I have no visibility issues whatsoever, and didn't since day one. I do not feel claustrophobic in it and never have. I really don't understand what the big deal is....there isn't one as far as I'm concerned.
Sit in a non-sport car then sit in the Camaro. The Camaro windows are like 12 inches in height. I'm definitely not bashing it, I BOUGHT THE CAR! The verdict is still out though on my transition from a civic, that is pretty spacious and has virtually no blind spots. I was taken back the first time i looked out the windshield of the camaro and realized it was no taller than a ruler.
Old 07-23-2009, 06:10 PM   #4
SirBrad
The Captain

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS SIM
It took me about a week or two to get used to the visibility. But now I feel like I can see everything perfectly. Just use your mirrors and everything is easy.

As far as the ceiling, I am 5'-10" and I have plenty of space from the top of my head to the ceiling. Plenty. Some people my height have said they've had problems, I don't see how.
SirBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 06:15 PM   #5
FNKNSTN
Banned

Drives: A Black Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyridinghigh View Post
I have been in the Camaro several times now, and as previous posts have mentioned, it's no secret that the visibility is poor and the interior is somewhat claustrophobic. I just wanted to hear from people who now own the Camaro and have not had muscle/sports cars in the past and have spent some time in their new car. Have you gotten used to it? Any feedback?

PS: I'm going from a 2001 honda civic to this... the only other regular drivers i've had are parents cars including an Acura RDX, RL, TL, GM Yukon, and Buick Ranier, all large spacious cars.
The visibility is great. The side windows are long, the back window is fine, and I can see where the front end of my car is. The interior is very roomy with that small back seat. I can fully extend my legs when I'm driving.

There is nothing to get "used" to... other than getting used to comfort and performance.

I'm going from a 77 Silverado to a 10 Camaro.
FNKNSTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 06:22 PM   #6
Teddydog

Drives: 21 LT1 RS M6 in SSM
I have had but one test drive in a Camaro. It almost felt like a little cave. My daily driver is a Mazda3 hatchback. I found a HUGE blind spot out the driver's side rear in the Camaro. Took me forever to merge onto the freeway trying to decide if anyone was there or not. Elsewhere, visibility seemed OK.

Any owners bothered by the big blind spot?

Rob
Teddydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 06:28 PM   #7
thebighar

Drives: 2018 1LT RS V6 Nightfall Grey
It may be your height that is an issue rather than the car. I'm only 5'8 but i fit in the car great and the front windshield is fine with me, i can see fine, there is a huge blind spot in the back but thats not really a big deal, you just have to rely on your mirrors which you should be using anyway.
thebighar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 06:28 PM   #8
bballr4567

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddydog View Post
I have had but one test drive in a Camaro. It almost felt like a little cave. My daily driver is a Mazda3 hatchback. I found a HUGE blind spot out the driver's side rear in the Camaro. Took me forever to merge onto the freeway trying to decide if anyone was there or not. Elsewhere, visibility seemed OK.

Any owners bothered by the big blind spot?

Rob
There are NO blind spots in ANY car if you adjust the mirrors properly.

http://www.linquist.net/motorsports/tech/mirrors/

http://www.motorists.org/blog/how-to...-view-mirrors/
bballr4567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 06:30 PM   #9
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
Well it's a fighter cockpit based concept so it might not fit the tastes of everyone.

If the team had a constraint on this then the car would not look like it does.

It would not exist in it's present form.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 06:42 PM   #10
slick rick
SoCal Mayhem

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS
I went from an S10 truck to the Camaro and noticed less visibility. I got used to it over time. It's no big deal now.
Old 07-23-2009, 06:44 PM   #11
bigd1276
2017 HyperBlue 2SS

Drives: 2017 HyperBlue Camaro 2SS
This is my fourth Camaro. As Vash said it feels like a fighter cockpit, Vette like to me. The visibility is an issue for about the first fifteen minutes of driving, then you adjust and forget all about it.

2010 IBM 2LT RS......Traded for.....
2012 IBM 2SS RS......Traded for.....
2017 HBM 2SS
bigd1276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 06:50 PM   #12
cKerensky

Drives: 2010 RJT 1LT Camaro!
I'm 6'2, and from the Camaro with the sunroof I sat in at the dealership, my head tapped the roof. With that in mind, it only just barely touched it, so I ordered mine without and I don't forsee a problem.
cKerensky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 06:52 PM   #13
Lessk
Repeat after me....

Drives: 1969 Chevy Camaro
If they made more visibility it wouldn't look like a sports car. Go ahead and think of all the cars you've been in with superb panoramic visibility. Now pictures what it looks like. Sports car? Not likely.

If visibility is an issue for you, you bought the car for the wrong reasons.

People don't put big roots blowers on their muscle cars and complain about visibility. It looks badass and goes like stink; like the Camaro. Coincidence? I think not.

I'm 6'5'' and I won't let that stop me from buying a Camaro.

Death smiles at us all. All a man can do is smile back.
Lessk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 06:52 PM   #14
FNKNSTN
Banned

Drives: A Black Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by cKerensky View Post
I'm 6'2, and from the Camaro with the sunroof I sat in at the dealership, my head tapped the roof. With that in mind, it only just barely touched it, so I ordered mine without and I don't forsee a problem.
You should have leaned the seat back, and adjusted the steering wheel.
FNKNSTN is offline   Reply With Quote