Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 06-26-2015, 04:37 PM   #1
camarozzzz

Drives: Blue
Where to start

So my car appears to be riddled with swirl marks, scratches and all that nasty stuff. Thing is just a mess in direct sun and you can see light nicks, and just all over and poor paint quality. There seem to be a lot of clear coat scratches from poor washing as well.

Could anyone point me in the right direction in terms of fixing this up and what kit to go with? I'm not opposed to learning...so doing the work myself would be a fun learning experience. I've heard good things about Adams. What would be their best starting kit? I do not have a pc of any kind right now. I am just looking for an all in one detailing kit to bring my finish back to life and the way it was 4 years ago.
camarozzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 05:02 PM   #2
seven

Drives: 2015 Camaro RS 2LT AGM
Hey well that sounds good. I am sure you can get her looking great!! I am a newbie but have been following advice here for bout a year. I would get a dual action polisher machine. If you are interested in Adams you can talk to them and they can get you started on basic supplies. I would highly recommend watching Adams and or auto geeks video on how to correct your paint so you can learn proper technique with the polisher. Also look threw newbie thread here in this section to see the best technique for washing using a 2 bucket method to avoid inflicting scratches on the car after you get her looking good again. Give this thread a few days and you will get some good advice from others. Good luck!!
2015 RS Camaro 2LT with Sunroof, Performance Exhaust, Ground Effects, Tinted Windows, LED Fog Lights(DD), CAI Cold Air Intake, Ghosted Side Markers(Showstopper), Elite Catch Can, Xpel & SunTek PPF, Replica Z28 High Wing Spoiler, ZL1 Replica Wheels(Satin Black Factory Reproductions)
seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 05:49 PM   #3
scandata

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS vert, Spring Green Edtn
Here is an excellent video series by The Junkman:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...ZDRjGHmR-CbWJR
He'll take you through every step from washing through polishing and sealing. The videos run a bit long because everything is in real time; if it takes 3 minutes to polish a section, he'll keep the tape rolling the whole time, so you see exactly what is being done. He also takes the time to explain WHY something is being done, and why you shouldn't do other things, as well as explaining the tools and supplies being used.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v692/scandata/sigpic_zpsxmxmbipg.jpg
scandata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 06:24 PM   #4
vinman
The BBOMG fill-in husband

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS 1LE AKA V1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by scandata View Post
Here is an excellent video series by The Junkman:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...ZDRjGHmR-CbWJR
He'll take you through every step from washing through polishing and sealing. The videos run a bit long because everything is in real time; if it takes 3 minutes to polish a section, he'll keep the tape rolling the whole time, so you see exactly what is being done. He also takes the time to explain WHY something is being done, and why you shouldn't do other things, as well as explaining the tools and supplies being used.
This^^^My IOM was flawless even in direct sunlight after using the pC and correct process!!!
Old 06-26-2015, 07:12 PM   #5
camarozzzz

Drives: Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinman View Post
This^^^My IOM was flawless even in direct sunlight after using the pC and correct process!!!
What detailing items and packages did you go with?
camarozzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 07:26 PM   #6
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
My car was heavily swirled when I purchased it last Nov.

I used a Griots Garage 6" random orbital. Compounded with Meguiars D300 and their DMC microfiber cutting pad, they guarantee no swirls with the kit, DMCKIT5. I didn't have any left.

The finishing wax that comes with the kit leaves a nice warm look, but not a high gloss.

I went back over the car with Carpro reflect on lake country tangerine pads, and got the high gloss I wanted.

I use a lot of the Adams products for washing, cleaning, and protection. They are all excellent, and Adams offers as good customer service as you can get.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 08:11 PM   #7
scandata

If you're curious, this was the estimated cost of supplies needed for my first detail. It totals around $140.00, not counting the polisher and micro-fiber cloths. Like you, I was starting from scratch, but I had a lot of product left over, so next time won't be as costly, and I won't have to buy the pads again.

If money's tight, you might be able to skip using the Iron-X; only you can be the judge of that. You can also buy cheaper wax than Midnight Sun (although I highly recommend using it). I only used about ¼ of the Iron X, ½ a bottle of each polish, ½ a bottle of sealant and barely any wax (Midnight Sun wax applies very thin and goes a LONG way), so I'll have a lot of that for next time.
The Breakdown:
Clay: $8.00
Iron-X & grout sponge: $28.00
Waterless Wash: $10.00
Meguiar's M105 & M205 polish: $22.00
Pads: ~$42.00 (average about $6.00 each, I probably used 7 altogether)
Sealant and Wax: $75.00 (it was a combo pack of BlackFire Wet Diamond Sealant with BlackFire Midnight Sun Wax)
Those prices are retail and don't include postage or discounts, BTW.
Of course there's also the cost of the Porter Cable polisher (~$120.00) and many microfiber cloths - I went through 8 or 10 per day and was running them in the laundry every night.

That list part of a thread I posted after finishing my first detail, highlighting the things I realized I should and shouldn't have done. In case you'd like to learn from my mistakes:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=399000

Old 06-26-2015, 10:32 PM   #8
JD_Alaska

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS Coupe L99
I'd look thru the sticky section here and read over the reviews of different products as well as watching the Adams, autogeek and junkmans vedios. Send a pm to Junkman and adams and I'm sure they would be more than happy to help you out. Adams has some fantastic products and I personally use many of them. I'd suggest The Rag Company for microfiber and buy about twice as many as you think you'll need. Thier edgeless microfiber towels are very good.
Take your time, read the input from others here and you will do just fine. It takes a little time to get your car looking good but the satisfaction of getting it perfect or next to perfect can't be replaced.
Best of luck to you and ask questions in this section if you have any, many great detailers here.
JD_Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 11:22 PM   #9
JTruck

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LT/RS
Quote:
If you're curious, this was the estimated cost of supplies needed for my first detail. It totals around $140.00, not counting the polisher and micro-fiber cloths. Like you, I was starting from scratch, but I had a lot of product left over, so next time won't be as costly, and I won't have to buy the pads again.

If money's tight, you might be able to skip using the Iron-X; only you can be the judge of that. You can also buy cheaper wax than Midnight Sun (although I highly recommend using it). I only used about ¼ of the Iron X, ½ a bottle of each polish, ½ a bottle of sealant and barely any wax (Midnight Sun wax applies very thin and goes a LONG way), so I'll have a lot of that for next time.
The Breakdown:
Clay: $8.00
Iron-X & grout sponge: $28.00
Waterless Wash: $10.00
Meguiar's M105 & M205 polish: $22.00
Pads: ~$42.00 (average about $6.00 each, I probably used 7 altogether)
Sealant and Wax: $75.00 (it was a combo pack of BlackFire Wet Diamond Sealant with BlackFire Midnight Sun Wax)
Those prices are retail and don't include postage or discounts, BTW.
Of course there's also the cost of the Porter Cable polisher (~$120.00) and many microfiber cloths - I went through 8 or 10 per day and was running them in the laundry every night.

That list part of a thread I posted after finishing my first detail, highlighting the things I realized I should and shouldn't have done. In case you'd like to learn from my mistakes:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=399000
Half a bottle of sealant in one application? You are using way too much, just like wax, small amount of product is all that's needed.
Old 06-27-2015, 02:20 PM   #10
Joe M 2012 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTruck View Post
Half a bottle of sealant in one application? You are using way too much, just like wax, small amount of product is all that's needed.
Lake Country Crimson Hydrotech pads are excellent for sealant or wax application with your DA, They don't absorb like lots of other no cut pads, saving you money by keeping your LSP on the paint, and not soaked up in your pad.
Old 06-27-2015, 02:42 PM   #11
JTruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M 2012 2SS View Post
Lake Country Crimson Hydrotech pads are excellent for sealant or wax application with your DA, They don't absorb like lots of other no cut pads, saving you money by keeping your LSP on the paint, and not soaked up in your pad.
Huh...?

I'm telling you that you used too much sealant if you used half a bottle in one application.
Old 06-27-2015, 02:50 PM   #12
Joe M 2012 2SS

Quote:
Huh...?

I'm telling you that you used too much sealant if you used half a bottle in one application.

I'm saying that scandata could have possibly used too much sealant by using a pad that soaked up a lot of it during application.

I have found through use of different pads that the LCH Crimson absorbs the least amount of product into the pad when using a DA for application of any liquid type sealants. Which means less product waste. Because it's keeping it on the surface it spreads farther as well, again less product waste.
Old 06-27-2015, 03:44 PM   #13
scandata

Quote:
It's not as bad as it sounds - I put on two coats, and I didn't use a machine for the second one. I don't use a machine to apply sealants and wax anymore because there are so many areas that have to be done by hand anyway (tiny corners, around emblems, etc.) that it doesn't save me any time. With a hand pad I can go right up to the edge of the plastic trim and not have to mask it like I would with a machine. I'd just as soon do the whole thing that way instead of getting out the machine and extension cord and bothering with all that extra masking and pad cleaning afterward.

Old 06-27-2015, 03:58 PM   #14
JTruck

Quote:
It's not as bad as it sounds - I put on two coats, and I didn't use a machine for the second one. I don't use a machine to apply sealants and wax anymore because there are so many areas that have to be done by hand anyway (tiny corners, around emblems, etc.) that it doesn't save me any time. With a hand pad I can go right up to the edge of the plastic trim and not have to mask it like I would with a machine. I'd just as soon do the whole thing that way instead of getting out the machine and extension cord and bothering with all that extra masking and pad cleaning afterward.
I only apply wax and sealant by hand.