Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-10-2010, 01:44 PM   #1
Total_Perf_Eng

Drives: Corvette
Send a message via AIM to Total_Perf_Eng
First look at Dewitts Performance Radiator (Pics Inside)

Those of you who have come over from the Corvette World, are no stranger to Dewitts Radiators. But for those of you who are not aware of this company, heres a little bit of info.

Dewitts Radiators was started by none other than Tom DeWitts, out of Howell, MI. In the Corvette world, they are hands down the largest aftermarket performance radiator company there is. They are STRICTLY a GM radiator company. Prior to this new venture, DeWitts was a Corvette specific radiator builder. When it comes to "LS Based" motors, with the exception of factory, id be willing to bet they are in more Corvettes than anyone else on the planet, with 1000's of installs. They've got a 24,000 square foot facility, with state of the art radiator equipment.

But most of all, they have an unbelieveable reputation in the Corvette/GM community. You will be hard pressed to find any bad comments about these guys.

Now to the radiator. First off, this thing is a work of art.
  • It is more than DOUBLE the capacity. That means instead of it being a single core radiator, like stock, this utilizes a Double Core. So you get significantly more cooling. We see on average about a 20-25* reduction. But in ALOT of cases, we have seen 30+*.
  • The upper and lower tanks are machined aluminum, machine bent, and fully tig welded. The factory tanks are very cheap plastic, and clipped into place.
  • Like the factory radiator, this is a direct fit. That means no modifications, or cutting. You just remove your old radiator, and install the new radiator.
  • All fitting tabs on the top and bottom of the radiator, are machined billet, fully tig welded, and in the factory locations. This includes the top fittings that bolt in to the upper support.
  • This radiator utilizes a factory 11" GM transmission cooler. The fittings are standard fittings that are designed to clip in to your factory hard lines, with no need of adapters, or -an connectors.
  • The upper spout is fully tig welded, with both the overflow and steam vent nipples integrated. The spout itself is an actual upper radiator fill spout, that accepts GM aluminum radiator caps. This was done so that the industry standard fill caps would offer a perfect seal.
  • All radiators come with a machined billet ratiator cap.
Its no secret that higher horsepower, generates heat. Although these cars tend to cool fairly well, they start to push the envelope when adding boost. PLUS, those cheesey factory radiators dont look near as cool as a bad boy performance radiator in its place. Unlike the Corvette, you can actually see the radiator in a Camaro. So these will compliment the engine bay extremely well.

The radiators have not been released yet, but we are planning to do an initial launch in the next week or so.

The MSRP on these are going to be right at 849.00, but we will be offering a Camaro5 members group buy, with some pretty awesome discounts, so be looking out in the appropriate sponsors sale section in the coming week or so.

The pictures seen in this are of the very first radiator released. We got it about a week ago, and will be installing it into one of our customers cars. The car that will be getting this bad boy, is the owner of Centerforce clutchs. We built him a 700rwhp Maggie LS3 Camaro. When I do the install on friday, I will be sure to show you guys some install pics as well.

If you have any additional questions, please ask. We will be more than happy to answer anything you may have.

(BTW, The circular stain on the fins of the radiator is from me cleaning off grease I had on my hands when pulling it out of the box)

Total_Perf_Eng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 02:18 PM   #2
ITGuy11
Burning up tires

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert
Very nice! What is the weight compared to stock?
ITGuy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 04:02 PM   #3
Total_Perf_Eng

Well, I dont have a camaro radiator that is drained at the moment, but I just weighed this one, and it is 16.41lbs. I would assume that the factory radiator is anywhere between 9-12lbs.
Considering that heat is directly related to horsepower, at 20-30* change, would definately be worth a couple HP. I think the net difference would be nill.
There is nothing worse than having to shut off your A/C in the middle of the summer, in your blown car cause your radiator wont cut it. Trust, ive been there.

This radiator will work especially well for the guys with front mounted intercoolers. Those cars tend to run much hotter due to the blockage that the intercooler presents.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:04 PM   #4
Total_Perf_Eng

I forgot to mention, there will also be a polished version as well. I think its like 249.00, but im not exactly sure. That would cover the upper and lower tanks, and side plates. The only thing that wouldnt be polished, is the fins themselves.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:29 PM   #5
Warhorse

Drives: 2011 Syn Green Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Total_Perf_Eng View Post
Well, I dont have a camaro radiator that is drained at the moment, but I just weighed this one, and it is 16.41lbs. I would assume that the factory radiator is anywhere between 9-12lbs.
Considering that heat is directly related to horsepower, at 20-30* change, would definately be worth a couple HP. I think the net difference would be nill.
There is nothing worse than having to shut off your A/C in the middle of the summer, in your blown car cause your radiator wont cut it. Trust, ive been there.

This radiator will work especially well for the guys with front mounted intercoolers. Those cars tend to run much hotter due to the blockage that the intercooler presents.

You mention use of the factory GM 11" trans cooler, is this incorporated into the new radiator? Will we see benifits in transmission cooling?
Warhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 07:38 PM   #6
Cmlloveless

Drives: 2010 2SS RS
Looks good!
Cmlloveless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 02:09 PM   #7
Total_Perf_Eng

All of the Camaro radiators, both auto and manual, have a built in transmission cooler. This radiator simply allows the continued use of your cooler.
I would say yes, you would probably see a small drop in tranny temps as well. In both the GM radiator, and this radiator, the transmission coolers do not utilize air to cool them. They actually sit inside the lower tank. They do have cooling fins just like a typical cooler, but the only difference, is that in the Camaro, it is the coolant that cools the transmission. The cooler is actually immersed in the coolant.
Being that the radiator is twice the capacity, and offers twice the surface area, the cooler coolant should in fact cool the transmission that much more.
Although I dont have specific data to back this claim up, to me, it is common sense. If the coolant is say 25* cooler, than it should in theory cool the tans temps as well. How much? Im not sure.

HTH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhorse View Post
You mention use of the factory GM 11" trans cooler, is this incorporated into the new radiator? Will we see benifits in transmission cooling?
Old 11-11-2010, 03:25 PM   #8
bmbbl be

Drives: 2010 CAMARO SS
now that is a sweet radiator,,,,,,,,,you can count me in on one!
bmbbl be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 03:27 PM   #9
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
I like the cap
Old 11-15-2010, 03:41 AM   #10
sting808

Drives: 2010 SS RS
Is there a M6 model or just plug the built-in trans cooler for A6? Is it the same depth as OE? Planning on Vortech and concerned about clearance issues with installation.

thanks

Last edited by sting808; 11-16-2010 at 02:27 PM.
sting808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 05:32 AM   #11
CamaroMiami

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS LS3, 92 Camaro RS
I like what I have read about this new performance radiator. I want this and an heat extractor hood.

When it gets hot (ambient air = 90+ degrees ) down here in the summer it is hot. And I used that high performance, synthetic, radiator coolant additive, it does not work totally as advertised.
CamaroMiami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 11:27 AM   #12
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
Nice looking unit. All I need now is the supercharger!

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 11:54 AM   #13
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Drives: 2010 Camaro
I really wish they would have moved the fill site when they had the opportunity.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:14 PM   #14
John Dingman

Drives: mercedes benz
Where would you have liked to seen it moved to?
John Dingman is offline   Reply With Quote