Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-30-2010, 09:31 AM   #1
phenixdragon

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Muffler Delete?

After doing some search, talking to people, and trying to watch/listen to videos online I think I want to do a muffler delete. Couple of questions though. First is without running mufflers, will there be any type of performance decrease because there will be less back pressure?

The other question I have is with noise. I can't really tell by some of the videos I have watched how loud it will be. The videos all sound pretty cool and it appeals to me a lot, but I don't want it to be too loud. And what I am looking to find out is how loud it will be when reving and then also how loud it is when cruising down the highway.

Thanks!
phenixdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 10:18 AM   #2
longbeachss2010

Drives: black SS
well as for hp performance idk i have the muffler delete and resonator delete. its loud with both pieces off . so if u dont want it to loud just remove the muffler and it will sound just like flowmasters but with out the cost.
longbeachss2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 10:34 AM   #3
Smoky10

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
I deleted mine and there was no power loss, and it's not to loud at all. I love it.
Smoky10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 10:43 AM   #4
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
I don't think it's loud at all. There are actually times I wish is was louder at the lower RPM. Now....getting on it at WOT it's just about right for just a cat-back.

I don't know if there was any power loss since I had mine done with 35 miles on it but I can't imagine there is any power loss at all.

Here is my thread with some info, pics, and video.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64964
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 10:43 AM   #5
winston2ss
YDLYLB

Drives: Cgm 2ssrs
what will deleting the mufflers do to the warranty? also can you get a shop to cut them out? and do you just weld on more pipe with tips?
winston2ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 11:27 AM   #6
green man

Drives: 1SS/RS M6
Not too loud but be aware there will be a lot of decel popping. If you don't like that sound then muffler delete is not for you...me, I like it.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:58 AM   #7
longbeachss2010

Drives: black SS
yea they will just cut out the mufflers and add pipe to replace the muffler so it shouldnt be more than 200 buck . i got the job done for 110 for all the work and pipe.
longbeachss2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 12:00 PM   #8
Rod10269
Hot Rod

Drives: 69 Z28,69 SS 396,67 Chevelle
I did the muffler delete with the Magnaflow Comp Axle back with the 5" tips and i love the aggressive sound you get...as for the warranty..mufflers are to control engine sound so there won't be any warranty issues with that.The popping when you are in a coast with the car in gear,at least on my car,can get annoying at times but all i have to do to control it is push in the clutch or with a slight gas pedal pressure so the throttle is not closed completely will control the popping on deaccleration.I have been to several car shows and cruise ins and everybody that has heard the car and noticed the big 5" tips have loved it and planned to get them for their car.Hope this helps.
Rod10269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 12:17 PM   #9
phenixdragon

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Ya the dealership down the street was telling me that try to not to tell GM about any mods done on cars. Sometimes they can't hid it since every GM car now logs anything that has been modified. But one guy was saying that GM was cracking down on paying for something that would brake, forgot what not, that turns out is linked to aftermarket headers. Can't remember exactly what.

But I just dropped of my SS to a shop to cut out the mufflers and put on 4 inch black steel tips. I wanted black because I want to put on the OEM body kit and this can hid the tip better. But they didn't have the tips in double wall, just rolled. The guy was saying that there won't be a difference in sound between rolled or double wall.

Can anyone confirm or deny that?
phenixdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 01:20 PM   #10
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenixdragon View Post
But I just dropped of my SS to a shop to cut out the mufflers and put on 4 inch black steel tips. I wanted black because I want to put on the OEM body kit and this can hid the tip better. But they didn't have the tips in double wall, just rolled. The guy was saying that there won't be a difference in sound between rolled or double wall.

Can anyone confirm or deny that?

Shouldn't be any difference in sound. Just make sure they don't get the tips too close to the plastic rear housing under the bumper. It might tend to melt it some if it gets to hot and if it does it will be out of your pocket to replace.

One of the advantages of the double wall tips is that the outer wall should be cooler than the inner one so the chances of melting the rear panel will be significantly reduced.

In addition the double walls look better to me but only by a little bit. Most people probably won't even notice.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 02:23 PM   #11
kbui

Drives: 85 Vette, 07 Escalade ESV, 03 GMC,
My best suggestion is to try to get together with other owners in your area with muffler deletes. The sound files are nice but it doesn't really reflect the actual sound you will be hearing. I was been back and forth with muffler delete for a few months until I actually get to hear it in person. Great sound! my local installer was delaying my muffler delete so I decided to gone ahead with the MBRP cat back. I really needed the square tips for my GFX anyway and the tips alone would have cost me $150.00. The MBRP sounds even better in person. Now with the C.A.I.'s cai installed the car sounds as good as it looks. I think with LT headers it might be a little bit too loud????

After installing the MBRP's cat back, I still think the muffler delete would have been a good option. Sounds and looks are few of the things you are not going to get a completely agreement on. It's your taste and opinion that is the best. Try to get someone near you with the installation you might like based on the various sound files on the internet and choose....You are the one that is going to have to live with it or enjoy it...Good luck and enjoy!

ADM Performance installed and tuned: Maggie, Stainless Works Power LTs, ADM race cai, ADM ZL1 scoop
Whiteside Customs Super Street 2 Package w/ coilovers
BC Racing Coilovers and lowered, Whiteline Bushings & Swaybars
MBRP catback exhaust, ZL1 bumper conversion, Drake billet shifter, Hurst paddles, NLP rear spoiler, OEM GFX, Vis Racing hood, ASA GT5 wheels
kbui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 03:02 PM   #12
MillerTime
Blowin the doors off!

Drives: A 2013 SS RS 6M SR
Did this on mine. Sounds amazing, had them push the tips out just a tad so you can see em a little better... Voids your muffler warranty.....ROFL... No power loss and only has the decel popping, and i can live with that. Cant go wrong for 60 bucks!!

2G1FS1EWXD9163847

MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 04:20 PM   #13
harmonicator
Super Lead Plexi

Drives: "Elvira" 2010 Blk Camaro 3SS/RS LS3
Something to consider...

Muffler delete is cool, I have one. Took the resonators and h-pipe off as well. replaced with magnaflow x-pipe. Sounds bitchin and performs great. However....

I reused the factory tips and the shop did a great job patching the exhaust system together. But if I had it to do over, I would have kept the entire factory system uncut and hung it in my garage, while replacing it with one the many aftermarket catback systems. That way it would be good to go when I need to simply slap it back on.

I saved several hundred bucks though...

Something to consider.
Old 06-30-2010, 04:28 PM   #14
MillerTime
Blowin the doors off!

Drives: A 2013 SS RS 6M SR
Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonicator View Post
Something to consider...

Muffler delete is cool, I have one. Took the resonators and h-pipe off as well. replaced with magnaflow x-pipe. Sounds bitchin and performs great. However....

I reused the factory tips and the shop did a great job patching the exhaust system together. But if I had it to do over, I would have kept the entire factory system uncut and hung it in my garage, while replacing it with one the many aftermarket catback systems. That way it would be good to go when I need to simply slap it back on.

I saved several hundred bucks though...

Something to consider.
I thought about that myself..but couldnt' think of any reason why anyone would want the factory mufflers unless you were planning on turing it into a barret jackson car in 50 years... ?

2G1FS1EWXD9163847

MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote