Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 03-23-2014, 08:40 PM   #1
rmilcic

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
Gear Swap to 3.91 on a 2013 Camaro 2ss/rs

Guys,

Need some advice. I just pulled my diff and sent it to a shop to swap out the 3.45 to 3.91 ring and pinion. While it was there I also had them press in harder carrier diff mounts. I put the diff back in myself. (Pretty easy job)

So my issue:

When the can is in first gear and I have the clutch pressed in and i start to release the clutch i hear a whap, whap whap sound from the rear end. At least it sounds like its the rear end. Are the harder bushing causing this? Due to less flex in the rear end? Should I put harder bushing in the transmission now? Really frustrated here any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.
rmilcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 04:13 PM   #2
rmilcic

pulled Diff again today. Taking it back to my Tranny/Diff guy. I'll keep ya posted.
Old 03-25-2014, 08:29 PM   #3
rmilcic

Looks like the backlash was set to .10 and GM spec is .002 - .005 My Trans/Diff guy is currently making the changes to the backlash. He was surprised by the GM spec being set so tight. I should get the diff back tomorrow so I can throw it back in and test.

Im also holding off removing the after market diff carrier bushings. I hope this takes the slop/clunk out of the rear end..
Old 03-26-2014, 11:13 AM   #4
swiftkart

Drives: 2010 SS/RS LS3 M6
The stiffer rear bushings seem to make all of the nosies and clunking come out more, mine does the same thing and I'm sure there are a lot of others that complain about the same issue.
swiftkart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 11:58 AM   #5
rmilcic

Yea it was bad.. I understand more vibration and i'm willing to accept that, This was during start off or when I pushed the clutch back in drifting at slow speeds like below 5 mph. It was a horrible sound coming from the diff. Took it back to the tranny\diff guy and he is adjusting the backlash to the gm SPEC, between .002-.005 I hope this tightens things up and gets rid of some/most of the slop in the rear end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftkart View Post
The stiffer rear bushings seem to make all of the nosies and clunking come out more, mine does the same thing and I'm sure there are a lot of others that complain about the same issue.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:46 PM   #6
camarorick

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmilcic View Post
Yea it was bad.. I understand more vibration and i'm willing to accept that, This was during start off or when I pushed the clutch back in drifting at slow speeds like below 5 mph. It was a horrible sound coming from the diff. Took it back to the tranny\diff guy and he is adjusting the backlash to the gm SPEC, between .002-.005 I hope this tightens things up and gets rid of some/most of the slop in the rear end.
Can you do me a favor ? Could you check the looseness you have in your transmission while it's in 6th gear. I'm trying to see if this is normal, or not... Maybe the slop you're feeling is from this ... http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...22&postcount=1
camarorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 01:10 PM   #7
rmilcic

No problem, when I get home from work ill throw the car in 6th gear on my lift and try.. Only thing is my car is fine once it gets moving. In every gear. So not sure how much help this will be for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camarorick View Post
Can you do me a favor ? Could you check the looseness you have in your transmission while it's in 6th gear. I'm trying to see if this is normal, or not... Maybe the slop you're feeling is from this ... http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...22&postcount=1
Old 03-26-2014, 01:33 PM   #8
camarorick

Quote:
No problem, when I get home from work ill throw the car in 6th gear on my lift and try.. Only thing is my car is fine once it gets moving. In every gear. So not sure how much help this will be for you.
Thank you
Old 03-26-2014, 04:42 PM   #9
rmilcic

So my camaro on my lift i put the car in 6th gear and attempted to turn just the drive shaft by hand and it turned but it was very tight (hard to turn). Hope this helps. And I haven't got my diff with the backlash adjusted to GM spec back yet. But I will keep you posted once I do. Posted a pic also, mostly just to show off my garage. lol That I love!

Quote:
Thank you
Attached Images

Old 03-26-2014, 05:33 PM   #10
camarorick

Quote:
So my camaro on my lift i put the car in 6th gear and attempted to turn just the drive shaft by hand and it turned but it was very tight (hard to turn). Hope this helps. And I haven't got my diff with the backlash adjusted to GM spec back yet. But I will keep you posted once I do. Posted a pic also, mostly just to show off my garage. lol That I love!
Thank you so much ... Did it turn as much as my video, or was it a minor rotation ?

Hopefully your backlash adjustment will resolve your slop condition !! It's amazing how a few thousands of an inch can cause problems.

That is one GREAT garage I wish I had space in mine to add a lift... Maybe the next house !!
Old 03-26-2014, 06:30 PM   #11
rmilcic

My 6th gear turn was about the same as your video. . I will keep you posted on my progress. My diff should be done tomorrow. Again hope this helps

Quote:
Thank you so much ... Did it turn as much as my video, or was it a minor rotation ?

Hopefully your backlash adjustment will resolve your slop condition !! It's amazing how a few thousands of an inch can cause problems.

That is one GREAT garage I wish I had space in mine to add a lift... Maybe the next house !!
Old 03-28-2014, 09:34 PM   #12
rmilcic

Well, got the diff back today with the back lash set too .003, and in the car. It pulls like a freight train, but still have that little knock in first when the clutch engages just from a slow start. Not sure what the deal is but Im going try removing the energy diff carrier bushings i purchased and put the stock ones back in.
Old 03-29-2014, 01:01 PM   #13
rmilcic

So back lash has been adjusted to .003 and the slapping sound in the rear when i need to move the car forward a few feet and I push the clutch back in has got a lot better but I can still hear/feel it. Instead of going back to the stock diff bushings I may buy BMR rear diff carrier bushings. What do you guys think?? Right now Im running some off market brand of harder rear diff bushings.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:52 PM   #14
rmilcic

Knock after the 3.91 upgrade video. Car on the lift..