Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 07-29-2014, 01:26 PM   #15
Smoke 'em
There's always a faster 1

Drives: (-,-)
I know the op was just posting an fyi to help people out and the horse is way past dead. This may sound ignorant to some people but how is having the fob now dangling from a key ring any different? Think about this because it has about as much of a chance of happening as me hitting the original design with my knee. So I hit the dangling key fob in such a manner that the key ring is jammed in a position between the key and the fob which doesn't allow the normal free movement and causes the car to turn off. Just another way of looking at it.
Smoke 'em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 02:45 PM   #16
DefianceDan
VroomVroom

Drives: 2017 50th 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke 'em View Post
I know the op was just posting an fyi to help people out and the horse is way past dead. This may sound ignorant to some people but how is having the fob now dangling from a key ring any different? Think about this because it has about as much of a chance of happening as me hitting the original design with my knee. So I hit the dangling key fob in such a manner that the key ring is jammed in a position between the key and the fob which doesn't allow the normal free movement and causes the car to turn off. Just another way of looking at it.

Hmm....interesting. I though it was weird (i.e. cheap) for GM to replace the fobs instead of rotating the ignition cylinder 90 degrees
Old 07-29-2014, 03:07 PM   #17
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
I am withholding comment until I get a letter stating that. I Have had State Farm for over 35 years. We will see.
Old 07-29-2014, 04:44 PM   #18
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
I am withholding comment until I get a letter stating that. I Have had State Farm for over 35 years. We will see.
I've had State Farm 29 years, my letter was a form letter sent on my agents State Farm letter head..

I'm sure you'll see something...
Old 07-29-2014, 05:58 PM   #19
notmidlife

Drives: 2014 Camaro LS
Long post, sorry !

Everyone should do what they want to do with regard to the recall, it's a personal choice for most. I will be holding back one "flip key" ( having a 3rd one made). If my wife or children drive the car, I would prefer they use the new style key.

I was involved in a pretty bad car wreck a long time ago before airbags (and when we would double the horsepower of a V8 without upgrading the brakes). While wearing a seat belt, my body moved enough to break my knee on the dashboard/steering column. Your body can move around a great deal more than expected in a crash. During regular driving my knee would never have come close to the dash/steering column.

The reason a hanging key fob does not pose the same threat is because it's "hanging" and has a pivot point ( no leverage). The switch blade key takes the surface area of the head of a key and multiplies it by about 10.

I don't know how large a threat our current keys really are, but I must assume there must be something more to it than we have been told. My friend owns the dealership where I bought my car. This recall has cost him the sales of over 10 Camaros because people didn't want to wait. Why GM would want to cut their own sales and spend money on a bogus recall ???? Don't know, but really doubt they want to spend the money, lose the sales and give themselves more bad PR.

Not looking to start a thread war, but I do understand the insurance company's point of view. The 5 star crash rating on my car actually made my insurance go down from what I was paying for my last car. Insurance is there to cover momentary lapses of STUPID. If your air bags don't go off and you are injured as a result of a conscience decision to have a "cool" key, then they really should not have to pay for the injury. Just my point of view, peace to all .
notmidlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 06:30 PM   #20
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. iNCREDIBLE View Post
I've had State Farm 29 years, my letter was a form letter sent on my agents State Farm letter head..

I'm sure you'll see something...
I talked to my agent a couple weeks ago and they said it wouldn't matter.
I will call them tomorrow and see if that has changed.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:08 PM   #21
Fireman124

Drives: 45th convertible ss
Insurance

Don't bash me here. I agree GM should make the fix a push button start. From the insurance company view if you get in an accident due to the fob turning off the ignition GM can tell the speed you were going and why the air bags did not go off. also, you have to think of it from a legal perspective, if you get in an accident and seriously hurt someone due to the fob shutting the car off and you signed a waiver you have now committed gross negligence and will not have a prayer in court.
Fireman124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 08:34 PM   #22
DrivinLikeABoss

Drives: 2014 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonysplanb View Post
I serviced my 2014 last week and declined the change. If my insurance sends me that same letter, I might reconsider

If they send you a letter just send them one back stating that you are looking for a new insurance company.
DrivinLikeABoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 08:47 PM   #23
layzurguy
Ride On!!!!

Drives: 2012 SS Ragtop
Quote:
Originally Posted by its a syn View Post
Recall, what recall? No one has contacted me of a recall. Must be a hoax, I must have heard it on the internet.
Bonjour
Old 07-29-2014, 08:55 PM   #24
Jims73z

Drives: 1973 z28 Rs , 2012 SS/Rs Blk/Blk M6
It is so easy to bump with my knee I was shocked. Moving the seatt up to allow an adult to sit behind me it took only one bump and car was off. I'm a little over 6 foot and 240. Pretty normal anyways if my dealer does the recall then whatever.
Jims73z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 01:46 PM   #25
mailclerk

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2LT/RS
Thanks for the head-up info. So far my insurance company hasn't sent me any corespondence yet and am still waiting for GM to let me know about the recall. So far I have two recall letters I'm waiting for.....2008 Impala SS and 2013 Camaro RS. When I get my recall letter who knows.

Mail Clerk
mailclerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 08:17 PM   #26
Tenring

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS - SIM
The key recall was done on my 2nd Camaro before I took possession. While driving it is so irritating the fob is hanging on my knee. Need to look at other connection options, all I have connecting the key and fob now is a small ring.

The switchblade key on my first Camaro never hit or came close to my knee.

Even with knowing that, I would have the recall done. I would not want to be sitting in court regarding an accident, any accident, with the opposite side stating, well Mr. so and so does not take safety seriously, he even signed a waiver to keep his vehicle un-safe.

As ridiculous as we think it is, the manufacturer has stated the switchblade key is un-safe and unless someone proves otherwise (wont happen) we are stuck with it.
Tenring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 07:55 AM   #27
L99

Drives: B On B L99-Gone/SS2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpiersd View Post
I hate State Farm. They jacked up my insurance by nearly double a bunch of years back by "relocating" me due to my having payed my insurance in person at an out of town agent while I was TDY for a couple of months. It took cancelling my policy to sort it out. My agent even attempted to get physical with me when our conversatin became heated.
I had State Farm for 21 years no accidents. Because of my good driving record they discounted my policy. So they said in every bill I got.
WAFJ!
I got a quote from another insurance company and saved $1100 on three cars. And yes for the same coverage plus one free windshield repair per car per year without raising my premiums.
Shop around guys it's worth it. Don't worry about loyalty with insurance company's. To them it's all about money. Its best to change every three years or so.
L99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 11:22 AM   #28
13BRM2SSRS

Drives: 13 Camaro 2SS Vert L99
Yeah, I also had State Farm for over 25 years til I figured out they were boning me. Shopped around and found same coverage for $700 less. Had to switch every few years since to keep the best rates but its worth it!
13BRM2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote