Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 11-08-2015, 10:13 AM   #1
green_chile

Drives: Supercharged BMW M3, 600 hp
Questions on buying a ZL1

Hello all. I've been reading a lot of topics and trying to educate myself on the best way to get into a ZL1. Originally I was thinking about supercharging an SS but the new deals and financing options have me reconsidering. I would prefer a ZL1 to a modded SS.

There's a lot of info out there and I'm still not clear on some of it. Obviously there are some used ones for sale and that's one approach. I've seen them from mid 30's to mid 40's with varying degrees of mods, mileage, etc.

It looks like there can be some great financing deals at 0% for 72 months. Are there are also options of 20% off in addition to 0% financing? What search engines are you guys using to find these in dealer inventory? I'm in the Dallas/Ft Worth area but would travel for the right deal. Thanks!
green_chile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 10:28 AM   #2
You Mad Bro

Drives: 2014 ZL1
I just traded in my 2014 SS L99 for a 2014 ZL1 M6 and I love it. I found it using Car Gurus (link below). I was considering new because of the 0% APR for 72 months but I ended up going used because I couldn't find a new one in the color I wanted.

The ZL1 I found was a 2014 that was purchased new in September 2015 and traded in in October 2015, it only has 2500 miles on it. There are some good deals out there if you are willing to look and travel. Remember if you buy used someone else has to pay the gas guzzler tax.

http://www.cargurus.com/
You Mad Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 10:50 AM   #3
green_chile

Thanks for the reply. Interesting to hear about your trade-in. I'm in the middle of selling my supercharged M3. Great car but I'm wanting a change.

I've used CarGuru before but I seem to keep finding used cars. What's the best way to search new inventories? Any thoughts on buying used vs. new with the current finance incentives?

Can the incentives be combined and do we know for how long that lasts? Thanks in advance for answering my questions.
Old 11-08-2015, 10:51 AM   #4
Johnny Mac

Drives: 2015 ZL1
I did it last December got 20% off 2015 ZL1 and than some the dealership profit is still in the car. Go find the deal.
It's an awesome car.
Join a credit union I did I got 1.69 for 60 mos. Chase to big to fail matched it at the dealership.

https://www.depositaccounts.com/blog...to-anyone.html
Johnny Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 10:56 AM   #5
Johnny Mac

Drives: 2015 ZL1
Dealerships inventory call the big boys and the one's in the sticks, search high and low.
Do the GM search on their site.
Johnny Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 11:08 AM   #6
Shark72

Drives: '16 Z06/Z07, '15 Z/28,1972 Stingray
I found the best way to search when I was looking for my ZL1 was to pull up Google Maps, then type in Chevrolet dealerships and click on each dealer to check their current inventory. I found my Z about 100 miles away and did all the negotiation over the internet. When we agreed on the final price, I made the trip to the dealer. A very good experience. Good luck!!!
2015 Z/28 #642 Black Bad Ass
Shark72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 12:44 AM   #7
Murder 1

Drives: 2013 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
Upping the power on an SS is still a far cry from a ZL1. A lot of engineering involved in the progression of the car. I'd flip out if I didn't have my Z. If you watch the test they did on Camaro SS on 'Top Gear' that pretty much says it all.
Old 11-09-2015, 03:10 AM   #8
2SSJIM

Drives: 2012 CRT ZL1 #1400
I ordered mine new in 2012, still stock and I still have a permagrin when I drive it... but it does turn your foot into lead a bit. LOL!
2SSJIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 12:17 PM   #9
dmaxwellh

Drives: 2015 ZL-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_chile View Post
Hello all. I've been reading a lot of topics and trying to educate myself on the best way to get into a ZL1. Originally I was thinking about supercharging an SS but the new deals and financing options have me reconsidering. I would prefer a ZL1 to a modded SS.

There's a lot of info out there and I'm still not clear on some of it. Obviously there are some used ones for sale and that's one approach. I've seen them from mid 30's to mid 40's with varying degrees of mods, mileage, etc.

It looks like there can be some great financing deals at 0% for 72 months. Are there are also options of 20% off in addition to 0% financing? What search engines are you guys using to find these in dealer inventory? I'm in the Dallas/Ft Worth area but would travel for the right deal. Thanks!

Look at terryvillechevy.com They have many ZL1's in stock, and the yellow coupe is 49k!!
dmaxwellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 01:12 PM   #10
rvnmaniac

Drives: 2012 M6 ZL1. 2019 Altima.07 FJR1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaxwellh View Post
Look at terryvillechevy.com They have many ZL1's in stock, and the yellow coupe is 49k!!
Great price just don't think I could handle yellow....
Old 11-09-2015, 01:30 PM   #11
vgradio

Drives: ZL1 convertible 2013 Silver Ice
I have found mine on cars.com. It was 14 months old, was a demo car by the dealer, and with 2800 miles.

It was inspected by a company called Carchex, and I received this report:

https://forms.carchex.com/inspect/re...d31708a0044c6a

Since I have imported it here in Switzerland, it was too complicated to visit the dealer.

It was about -20% off the the MSRP.

I am very happy about it, it is really a great car.
vgradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 02:05 PM   #12
green_chile

Thanks for all of the replies. Does anyone know about the 20% off and zero financing being combined and if so, for how long? Sure I can call the dealer but then your phone rings every day. Thanks!
Old 11-09-2015, 04:39 PM   #13
Enough Already

Drives: 2013 Black ZL1-M6
An alternate that worked for me was AutoTrader. You need to shop very carefully but there are a few really low mile quality cars out there. Also a lot of modded and high mile examples - not interested. I specifically wanted a one-owner, low miles 2013 model, black or red M6 and waited/watched for several months. I did a lot of research and ended up buying a black one with 6k miles on it. I had multiple calls with the owner to get the feel of how he treated the car, cross-checked everything with GM service records, stalked the owner on FB to see if he posted any burn-out videos, created a good relationship with the service manager of a local dealer, had the car taken in for a full inspection, alignment check, and oil/filter change (my pay) and basically had a "walk-away" agreement with the owner if the dealer found any issues. I did all of this over 60 days, remotely on a car over 1,000 miles away. Never saw it until I bought it. Ended up with a perfectly smooth transaction: took some cash and a personal LOC for balance, got cashier's check for transaction amount, flew in, got a rental car, did a visual on the car, went to the bank to handle the transaction, got title, got the car keys, returned the rental, took a cab back to the car, stopped by to thank the service manager with a gift card and had a really nice trip home, getting to know the car. Got home, got car titled and did a title loan (very low rate, 72 mo. at my credit union) and paid off the LOC. 3 months, 2k miles (plus rotofab, race ramps, gorilla lugs, ZL1 valve stem caps , black taillight bezels and pulled F8 fuse) later, all is still awesome.

My choice #2 car was a beautiful red one in NC with 2,400 miles. I spent many hours on email and phone with that guy but ended up going with the black one. That car is still available and worth a look if you like the 2013. This whole process can be risky but with proper planning and "walk-away" rights, it can work. Got my wife a nice 2010 Mustang convertible last year that way too - again, over 1,ooo miles away. I am very OK getting a depreciated, near-new car this way but it does take a lot of work and a bit of good luck.
Enough Already is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 05:01 PM   #14
green_chile

That's a great reply Enough Already and really lines out some important steps for buying sight unseen. The LOC finance approach is one I hadn't considered for some reason. I'm going to ponder that one. It would probably work great for me as I have 1/2 cash saved and would briefly finance the remainder. Thanks again.

Do you mind PM'ing me the info on the red one in NC?