Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

ADM PERFORMANCE
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Chevy Camaro vs... Comparison of Chevy Camaro versus its competition. *NO STREET RACING STORIES*

Old 08-24-2014, 09:23 PM   #76
Todd in Vancouver

Drives: 2014 ZL1
The AWD Subaru is a very quick car, especially on an AutoX as I've had my ass handed to me more than a few times by them. But, on a more open track it really isn't a contest. As for the Winter driving yes you can drive your Camaro in the snow and it is perfectly fine with a good set of Winter tires. I drive my ZL with a set of Blizzaks and it was just fine but is as good as an AWD? Hell no but it really comes down to you all around needs and for me racing and track days was a bigger need than Winter driving.

They are both great cars so good luck with your purchase when you make it. My only other comment is be aware of the head gasket issues with the Subaru.

How hard can it be...
Check out my other build http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/9...ject-Obsession

Todd in Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 10:52 PM   #77
mariojmoe

Drives: 2013 camaro 2ss/rs ls3 manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by L99CAMA2011 View Post
HUH. 6-7k. Buddy in real life the SS is actually a slow V8. A stage 1 STI hangs with a stock SS and doesn't cost any where near that much to get there. Heck even WRXs are almost as fast as the SS.
Not true sir. First off a stock sti vs a stock ss is not even close (i currently own both). Even with a stage 1 cobb tune against a stock ls3 is not really a race. From a dig the sti will take the lead to about 50-60 and its game over. From any highway roll an L99 or ls3 will destroy it.

Secondly to make an sti hang with completely an ss yes you will need to dish out 6-7k+. We are talking a blouch dom 2.0 turbo, perrin fmic, cobb down pipe, invadia or similar turbo back exhaust, bov, probably a stage 3 tune on e85 and more tid bits just to hang with a stock or stockish ss or 5.0.

Lastly you are correct on the point that an ss is not all that fast (stock), but that is until you mod them to your liking. I play with all kinds of cars and keep it factual, alot of what you posted was not factual.

2009 Chevorlet Corvette Z06 - garage queen (not stock)
2012 Ford F250 crew cab short bed Fx4 6.7 diesel 6" lift, 20" moto metal chromes on 37's - oilfeild thing
2008 Pontiac G8 gt sedan (under construction)
2013 Chevy Camaro 2ss rs 6 speed coupe - daily driver
2012 Mitsubishi lancer Evolution mr sedan
2011 cadillac cts-v wagon A6 - airaid cai, s.w exhaust
mariojmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 12:05 AM   #78
rontammy0
Dr feelgood

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariojmoe View Post
Not true sir. First off a stock sti vs a stock ss is not even close (i currently own both). Even with a stage 1 cobb tune against a stock ls3 is not really a race. From a dig the sti will take the lead to about 50-60 and its game over. From any highway roll an L99 or ls3 will destroy it.

Secondly to make an sti hang with completely an ss yes you will need to dish out 6-7k+. We are talking a blouch dom 2.0 turbo, perrin fmic, cobb down pipe, invadia or similar turbo back exhaust, bov, probably a stage 3 tune on e85 and more tid bits just to hang with a stock or stockish ss or 5.0.

Lastly you are correct on the point that an ss is not all that fast (stock), but that is until you mod them to your liking. I play with all kinds of cars and keep it factual, alot of what you posted was not factual.
I was thinkng that mario...i dont think he read your post stating you owned both.

K@N CAI....Vmax ported throttlebody...JBA shorty headers...SOLO hi flow cats....JBA Powercables...Magnaflow competition exhaust.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 12:36 AM   #79
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by rontammy0 View Post
I was thinkng that mario...i dont think he read your post stating you owned both.
I wasn't going by he owned both I was going by real world experience. SS are in the 13+ on average, stock STI high 13s. With that said how can an STI with 6 grand in upgrades be only as fast as a stock SS. I also drove many cars and has friends that own these cars with less than that in them. I also had an L99 before my LS3 and trust me they are not impressive in the high end pull dept.
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 12:58 AM   #80
rontammy0
Dr feelgood

Quote:
I wasn't going by he owned both I was going by real world experience. SS are in the 13+ on average, stock STI high 13s. With that said how can an STI with 6 grand in upgrades be only as fast as a stock SS. I also drove many cars and has friends that own these cars with less than that in them. I also had an L99 before my LS3 and trust me they are not impressive in the high end pull dept.
There is a vid on you tube where a guy with a stage 2 sti does some runs with a camaro. The camaro driver kept screwing up. The subaru ran strong ...when the camaro driver did get a clean run in.....the sti stayed around till the end of second gear..then the camaro pulled him...check it out its some good racing between the 2.

K@N CAI....Vmax ported throttlebody...JBA shorty headers...SOLO hi flow cats....JBA Powercables...Magnaflow competition exhaust.
Old 08-25-2014, 02:37 AM   #81
mariojmoe

Quote:
The sti's launch like a raped ape but fall on their face after 60. Even with a shit ton of mods it will be hard pressed to keep up with a stock /stockish ss. They are not intended to shine on straight line running nor have top end.

Here is a very fair example, I ran my friend in his bone stock 08 C6 manual corvette LS3 in my sti bone stock. I can beat him from a dig to about 40 and its curtains . They have no top end and that is where the money for mods comes in, bigger turbo, tune, exhaust, fmic etc all for top end.

2012 Ford F250 crew cab short bed Fx4 6.7 diesel 6" lift, 20" moto metal chromes on 37's - oilfeild thing
Old 08-25-2014, 02:40 AM   #82
mariojmoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rontammy0 View Post
Yea, and I am not at all bragging about owning both (mine is 4 almost 5 years old anyway) so i dont have bragging rights. I am stating that the two cannot compare thus why they are in a different category. Both are amazing cars and a total blast to drive but simply cannot be compared.

Old 08-25-2014, 04:08 PM   #83
rontammy0
Dr feelgood

Quote:
Yea, and I am not at all bragging about owning both (mine is 4 almost 5 years old anyway) so i dont have bragging rights. I am stating that the two cannot compare thus why they are in a different category. Both are amazing cars and a total blast to drive but simply cannot be compared.
I do agree about being totally different cars....i was thinking about getting a new car next year..and the sti has crossed my mind.

Old 08-25-2014, 05:37 PM   #84
trademaster

Drives: 06 Maserati gran sport, 12 z06
Quote:

I have to disagree. The problem with the Subarus is so many people have no idea what they're doing with them and they are very finicky cars to modify. "Stage 3 tune" tells me you don't have much experience modifying those cars extensively, no offense. Off the shelf tunes are awfully mild for the Subarus because they have hypereutectic cast pistons.

A stock turbo sti with bolt ons and E85 on an actual tune, not some Cobb crap, will make in the 325awhp 400awtq range which is plenty to run the 1/4 next to a 5.0 or SS. Look on their forums: downpipe, external wastegate, injectors, header, fuel pump and an E85 tune on the stock turbo are good for mid-low 12s, some even run high 11s. A properly built big turbo sti will be a serious handful. Even a 20g sti is a solid 11 second car. I had/raced a EJ207 & six speed swapped bugeye wrx in the early 2000s. My track buddy has a gt3076r powered sti right now that will run next to my Z until triple digits.

Aside from drag racing though, those cars are very easy to drive fast in the corners. Corner exit in the sti I mentioned is like driving a jet ski with a Saturn V rocket on the back.
trademaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 09:10 PM   #85
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Quote:
The sti's launch like a raped ape but fall on their face after 60. Even with a shit ton of mods it will be hard pressed to keep up with a stock /stockish ss. They are not intended to shine on straight line running nor have top end.

Here is a very fair example, I ran my friend in his bone stock 08 C6 manual corvette LS3 in my sti bone stock. I can beat him from a dig to about 40 and its curtains . They have no top end and that is where the money for mods comes in, bigger turbo, tune, exhaust, fmic etc all for top end.
Actually Mariojmoe I am worng sorry about this. I forgot what I learned years ago about the STI. They engineer it to be really quick down low to have that 0-60 in 4.6 really 5+ second time but has no top end, you are right. I guess I let those other you tube clips cloud my mind. And yeah that other car is on my list when I get rid of my Camaro. I like C6s a lot.
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 04:07 PM   #86
thxultra

Drives: Mean ass V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by trademaster View Post
I have to disagree. The problem with the Subarus is so many people have no idea what they're doing with them and they are very finicky cars to modify. "Stage 3 tune" tells me you don't have much experience modifying those cars extensively, no offense. Off the shelf tunes are awfully mild for the Subarus because they have hypereutectic cast pistons.

A stock turbo sti with bolt ons and E85 on an actual tune, not some Cobb crap, will make in the 325awhp 400awtq range which is plenty to run the 1/4 next to a 5.0 or SS. Look on their forums: downpipe, external wastegate, injectors, header, fuel pump and an E85 tune on the stock turbo are good for mid-low 12s, some even run high 11s. A properly built big turbo sti will be a serious handful. Even a 20g sti is a solid 11 second car. I had/raced a EJ207 & six speed swapped bugeye wrx in the early 2000s. My track buddy has a gt3076r powered sti right now that will run next to my Z until triple digits.

Aside from drag racing though, those cars are very easy to drive fast in the corners. Corner exit in the sti I mentioned is like driving a jet ski with a Saturn V rocket on the back.
You summed it up quite well. These are very respectable cars. The big thing is the handle amazingly. All wheel drive is a major plus where it snows also. I drove my Camaro in the snow once it sucked. Love my car it sucks in the snow. I know people who have properly modified these cars and they fly. Even stock they are super quick. I will be honest if I was buyign a car today the 2015 sti would be on my list to check out for sure.
thxultra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 07:17 PM   #87
mariojmoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by trademaster View Post

You are correct that I'm not super familiar with modding the imports (sti and evo). I know the basics but that is about it. I do know that it will take 6k+ to get them to ss and 5.0 speeds, This is from reputable shops.

Old 08-26-2014, 07:20 PM   #88
mariojmoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by thxultra View Post
You summed it up quite well. These are very respectable cars. The big thing is the handle amazingly. All wheel drive is a major plus where it snows also. I drove my Camaro in the snow once it sucked. Love my car it sucks in the snow. I know people who have properly modified these cars and they fly. Even stock they are super quick. I will be honest if I was buyign a car today the 2015 sti would be on my list to check out for sure.
Stock sti's are not super quick trust me (08-14) I own one and its really not that fast. It handles like a wet dream but is not break neck fast. For that matter a stock ls3 or l99 camaro (V8) is not fast neither (stock), Hence why I modded mine and went with a big cam. Getting ready fo procharger next (before fall).

Old 08-26-2014, 07:25 PM   #89
wally mayfield

Drives: 2013 2SS 6M
This thing will do 0-60 in 2.0 flat..would YOU want to be seen in it??
Attached Images

Old 08-27-2014, 12:40 AM   #90
trademaster

Drives: 06 Maserati gran sport, 12 z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by wally mayfield View Post
Uh, yes that sounds awesome.
trademaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 12:20 PM   #91
Fraxum

Drives: 2013 TT IOM 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Get the SS and a set of winter tires. Get narrow tires and snow will not be a problem. On ice either is in trouble.

But the STI is a very fun car to drive. But if speed is your thing get the SS. If handling and speed is your thing get an SS/1LE.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:31 PM   #92
thxultra

Drives: Mean ass V6
Quote:
Stock sti's are not super quick trust me (08-14) I own one and its really not that fast. It handles like a wet dream but is not break neck fast. For that matter a stock ls3 or l99 camaro (V8) is not fast neither (stock), Hence why I modded mine and went with a big cam. Getting ready fo procharger next (before fall).
Guess it depends on what people consider fast. 0- 60 in under 5sec is plenty fast if you aren't driving on the track. There is always a faster fish in the pond but I say the STI is quite fast for the money stock.
thxultra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 01:47 PM   #93
matt55

Drives: w/t
Quote:
Originally Posted by wally mayfield View Post
Yes !
I would be my son's hero.

Last edited by matt55; 09-03-2014 at 11:38 AM.
matt55 is offline   Reply With Quote