Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Old 05-19-2009, 01:25 PM   #15
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodGU View Post
what if later on down the road buy a 2010 camaro dash from a junk yard and swap it, then it will have a VIN Seriously tho, there is NO way you can get it street legal???
The only way I can think of would be to get it listed as a kit car, but I have no clue how that works either.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 04:23 PM   #16
MadMaxx
Master of the V6

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodGU View Post
what if later on down the road buy a 2010 camaro dash from a junk yard and swap it, then it will have a VIN Seriously tho, there is NO way you can get it street legal???
No. A production chassis (as the case w/ the Camaro) cannot be re-VIN'd or badged if they did not leave the factory that way. Kit car registration wouldn't work, as it's a production chassis. Big time no-no to try it too.

VIN swap would of course be a federal offense. There is no legal way to take a bare chassis and turn it into a road car. If you want that -- buy a built car, strip it out for your racing purposes.
MadMaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 06:21 PM   #17
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMaxx View Post
No. A production chassis (as the case w/ the Camaro) cannot be re-VIN'd or badged if they did not leave the factory that way. Kit car registration wouldn't work, as it's a production chassis. Big time no-no to try it too.

VIN swap would of course be a federal offense. There is no legal way to take a bare chassis and turn it into a road car. If you want that -- buy a built car, strip it out for your racing purposes.
but.... if you were to buy a wrecked 2010 camaro... before it was titled as "scrap or junk"

then you could swap the vin... just dont tell anyone
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 01:48 AM   #18
hollywoodGU

Drives: 1999 Firebird Formula
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
but.... if you were to buy a wrecked 2010 camaro... before it was titled as "scrap or junk"

maybe just maybe...
hollywoodGU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 10:45 AM   #19
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
If you're serious enough to want to build-up a BIW, you're probably gonna have a trailer car anyways. No sound deadening makes em sound like you're inside a boom box. Gets old fast unless you're at speed

If you're gonna add sound damping, carpet etc. You might as well buy a production car and pick from spikes list.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:31 PM   #20
MadMaxx
Master of the V6

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post

And hope the state or feds ever find out... lest ye' like orange jumpsuits.
MadMaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 01:03 PM   #21
IndyZ28

Drives: 1997 Silverado
A salvage titled car would be the way to go. It would never have the value of a clean title car and is known to have had major replacement of parts to become road worthy. Usually needing to be inspected by the State you are in before they give the ok for it to go back on the raod. Seeing as you plan to strip it down to nothing anyway for racing, a salvage title shouldn't be a problem as far as dropping the cars value, as a stripped out racecar has little value to the general public. You would be better off selling it the way you put it together. One piece at a time. I think the biggest issue is fruad & liability. If you do this for yourself to have fun and never try to sell it as a true 2010 SS, or try to sue GM for something, I would think you would be ok.

It makes me wonder how people are getting the reman 69 chassis' that are now available for sale titled?
IndyZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote