Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 11-07-2014, 11:19 AM   #1
firedruish

Newbe needs alot of information

Just upgraded to a 2014 2SS RS M6 NPP, Black on Black

Yes I have the factory Swirls...and want them gone. So after reading lots on here I went to O'Reilly's and bought the best orbital buffer they had $80... then added McGuires Clay Bar, McGuires ultimate wax, along with McGuires scratch repair.

I have washed, scratch repaired my screw-up (kitchen sponge on bug goo...oh the heart break at the damage), clay bar and then finished her off with a wax using the orbital buffer and the terry cloth cover for the buffer.

I still have the swirls, and the sponge marks!!!!! I feel like I did something wrong with the clay bar...or maybe have the wrong impression of what I am supposed to do with it, or its results. I followed all the instructions to the nth degree.

Please help me buy exactly what I need and help me (by explaining) exactly what I am doing wrong to keep my car in top shape. different buffer...fine...different product...no problem!

Thanks in advance - will post a pic of the car next thread...they are on my phone.
Old 11-07-2014, 11:37 AM   #2
Mouse6.2

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS M6 NPP
I found that reading all the stickys here in the Cosmetic Maintenance Section really helped me with keeping my black camaro looking good. Also another good place to learn is YouTube. Basically type in "how to remove swirl marks". Ton of videos.
Mouse6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 11:39 AM   #3
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
I was going to recommend some of the stickies and prepared resources available on this forum but then I saw that you have a 2014 2SS, so I'll wait for one of the experts to chime in.
Old 11-07-2014, 11:50 AM   #4
Spartan01

Drives: Evil Eva, 2010 2SS LS3
Ok, here is the deal-

1.) you have a black car. Black is the hardest color, simply because the swirls are most visible.

2.) the Swirls are caused by micro imperfections in your clear coat.

3.) wash, then clay, then polish, then wax seal.

4.) seek out help, because eit is VERY easy to "burn" (that is damage) your paint if you are not careful, ESPECIALLY with an electric buffer.

5.) you can also do what is known as "Paint Correction"
This process, done by a paint professional, involves washing, claying, then super polishing (removing an imperfections, and restoring a level/flat surface at the micro level) to the clear coat, then waxing and sealing
Old 11-07-2014, 01:04 PM   #5
Mouse6.2

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS M6 NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
I was going to recommend some of the stickies and prepared resources available on this forum but then I saw that you have a 2014 2SS, so I'll wait for one of the experts to chime in.

What does that have to do with paint swirls? Are the 2014's painted with some type of new super duper paint/clear coat?
Mouse6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 01:19 PM   #6
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan01 View Post
Ok, here is the deal-

1.) you have a black car. Black is the hardest color, simply because the swirls are most visible.

2.) the Swirls are caused by micro imperfections in your clear coat.

3.) wash, then clay, then polish, then wax seal.

4.) seek out help, because eit is VERY easy to "burn" (that is damage) your paint if you are not careful, ESPECIALLY with an electric buffer.

5.) you can also do what is known as "Paint Correction"
This process, done by a paint professional, involves washing, claying, then super polishing (removing an imperfections, and restoring a level/flat surface at the micro level) to the clear coat, then waxing and sealing
Almost everything here is wrong. I love C5
Old 11-07-2014, 01:55 PM   #7
JTruck

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LT/RS
Research a porter cable or griots garage DA polisher. Can't go wrong with either.

Purchase Menzerna FG400, this will be the only polish you need unless you want some real jeweling. Pick up Lake Country orange pads.

The claybar you picked up you can still use.

Here are the steps you will want to do: Strip wash (wash with dawn soap) > Claybar > Polish > Seal (if you want, I suggest it) > wax

Better off what you should also be investing in is quality wash products to keep from creating more swirls in future after polishing.

There is a lot into paint correction and maintenance, too much for me to put in one post. I suggest you do some researching and reading, plenty of great resources here, ask questions as you think of them and we will answer. If you are looking for some videos of how to polish properly, Adam's car care has a reputable video series I would recommend.
Old 11-07-2014, 04:14 PM   #8
firedruish

Thanks for all the responses..I will look up the products recommended, read and keep at it. Below is my dream car...oh how I love it
Attached Images

Old 11-07-2014, 04:16 PM   #9
JTruck

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LT/RS
Those aren't the stock perillis are they?
Old 11-07-2014, 04:21 PM   #10
firedruish

No..I am too high and too cold for pirellis when I work...I run general gmax as-03 during the summer and gone try nitto nt90w for snow tires this year...it was 21 this morning on my way in..lol
Old 11-07-2014, 05:50 PM   #11
Muscle Car Lover

Drives: 2014 2SS M6 "CHRISTINE"
Quote:
Originally Posted by firedruish View Post
Just upgraded to a 2014 2SS RS M6 NPP, Black on Black

Yes I have the factory Swirls...and want them gone. So after reading lots on here I went to O'Reilly's and bought the best orbital buffer they had $80... then added McGuires Clay Bar, McGuires ultimate wax, along with McGuires scratch repair.

I have washed, scratch repaired my screw-up (kitchen sponge on bug goo...oh the heart break at the damage), clay bar and then finished her off with a wax using the orbital buffer and the terry cloth cover for the buffer.

I still have the swirls, and the sponge marks!!!!! I feel like I did something wrong with the clay bar...or maybe have the wrong impression of what I am supposed to do with it, or its results. I followed all the instructions to the nth degree.

Please help me buy exactly what I need and help me (by explaining) exactly what I am doing wrong to keep my car in top shape. different buffer...fine...different product...no problem!

Thanks in advance - will post a pic of the car next thread...they are on my phone.
Here you go:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=307114

CamaroDreams07 has saved me time, serious money, and severe headaches as I started to care for my Black SS myself since I got her. Start on that thread and many questions will be answered. Then check out the product guide sticky to get an idea on the things you will need.
"But, House Mormont remembers. The North remembers! We know no King but the King of the North whose name is Stark. I don't care if he's a bastard. Ned Stark's blood runs through his veins. He's my king–from this day until his last day."

Mods: ARH headers and hi flow cats, VMAX ported throttle body, CAI air intake, Slowhawk Performance tuning
Muscle Car Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 08:17 PM   #12
Adrian97c

Drives: Wife's 14' IS 250
I learned to never buy a black car again after my 06' G6 GT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Built on • 3/22/16
Adopted • 4/07/16

Sold on 2/05/16:
2014 Camaro SW L99, 2SS, RS, NAV, Inferno Orange Interior:
-Borla ATAK catback
-Range AFM delete
-15% tint all around
-Red LED interior bulbs
-55k white Cree LED fogs
-License plate LED bulb swap
-12" Sub Kit, BA amp swap
-Oracle ghosted LED sidemarkers
Adrian97c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 09:03 PM   #13
scandata

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS vert, Spring Green Edtn
First, let me say your Camaro looks awesome! You already have a beautiful finish on it. Mine's a Blue Ray Metallic, which is almost black, so I can relate to the way every imperfection stands out.

Anyway, here are a few basic valuable things I've learned from this forum that will help retain a swirl-free finish (and forgive me if some of this is obvious tips that you already know):

Get yourself a foam gun attachment for your hose. First coat your car with foam, let it sit for a few minutes, and hose it off. THEN wash the car as you normally would. This loosens and washes away the dirt and dust first, so it's already gone and you aren't scrubbing it into your finish with your wash mitt. I got my gun off Amazon for about $45.00.

Use a two-bucket method: one for wash water and one for rinse water. And whenever you rinse, wring out your mitt onto the ground, not into the bucket; otherwise you're just putting all the dirt and grit back into your rinse water.

I used to use old bath towels for drying. I now know that that fabric is a little rough and will leave micro-scratches. Use something that's meant for the job. I use Adam's Great White drying towel. It's $25.00, but for me it's worth it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v692/scandata/sigpic_zpsxmxmbipg.jpg
scandata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 01:51 AM   #14
firedruish

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandata View Post
First, let me say your Camaro looks awesome! You already have a beautiful finish on it. Mine's a Blue Ray Metallic, which is almost black, so I can relate to the way every imperfection stands out.

Anyway, here are a few basic valuable things I've learned from this forum that will help retain a swirl-free finish (and forgive me if some of this is obvious tips that you already know):

Get yourself a foam gun attachment for your hose. First coat your car with foam, let it sit for a few minutes, and hose it off. THEN wash the car as you normally would. This loosens and washes away the dirt and dust first, so it's already gone and you aren't scrubbing it into your finish with your wash mitt. I got my gun off Amazon for about $45.00.

Use a two-bucket method: one for wash water and one for rinse water. And whenever you rinse, wring out your mitt onto the ground, not into the bucket; otherwise you're just putting all the dirt and grit back into your rinse water.

I used to use old bath towels for drying. I now know that that fabric is a little rough and will leave micro-scratches. Use something that's meant for the job. I use Adam's Great White drying towel. It's $25.00, but for me it's worth it.
Thanks for all the pointers...I will be looking into many of the recommendations I have recieved. I definitely will keep at it.

That photo was after another round of scratch
repair, wax and buff...she's better but not where I want her at yet.

I am super excited for tomorrow morning getting then last of my first round of mods done....super high gloss black stripes (narrow) along both sides of my hood and then finishing off the clear bra.