Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 10-19-2012, 12:27 PM   #1
Dexman1349
2010 2SS/RS M6

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
Noob upgrading suspension

Looking to tighten up my 2010 2SS/RS (LS3) a little bit to help with handling these fun Colorado mountain roads. It's my daily driver, but I also like to have fun with it on the weekends or during the commute (no racing, just aggressive mtn driving). It's basically stock, so I'd like to fix that. I don't want to lower the car because I need to get over the curb to get into the garage, and I just don't like the look of a lowered Camaro (nothing against those that do, it's just not my cup of tea).

That being said, I'd like to tighten things up a bit without completely replacing everything or trading it in on a 1LE. So far I'm looking at sway bars and possibly a front strut tower brace, but not sure which ones or what else to look at (trailing arms?). If a "decent" set-up is $500, but an awesome one is only a couple hundred more, I would lean towards the awesome one, but still keeping a comfortable drive since it's my daily.

I've seen some great reviews on the Eibach sway bars, so I might just go with those to start. But when it comes to tower braces, there are just so many different ones out there (brands, 2pt vs 4pt, sizes, etc) I have no idea what would work best (or if it's really necessary).

What would be your suggestions (parts, brands, etc)?

If you guys can at least point me towards the right threads (if they're out there), it would be helpful. Thx.
Dexman1349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:25 PM   #2
jeremywes

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Pedders and BMR also sell good bars. As for the strut tower brace I'd save my money and upgrade some bushings first. The 2010's FE3 suspensions have a lot of room for improvement. good luck
jeremywes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:32 PM   #3
Ehmsea

Drives: 2013 2SS RS Hurst NPP
from what I've read, look into Pedders replacement bushing kits. then I'd do new sway bars. this coming from someone who's done neither...but It is what I'd do...

CAI Intake w/washer relocation and race scoop
Ported Throttle Body (Polished)
Kooks LT stepped headers 1-3/4 to 1-7/8
High Flow Cats
Livernois Motorsports Stage 2c Cam Package
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKXyCyBh9BU

Hill Start Assist Delete
Ehmsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:51 PM   #4
Bruce@raymondsperformance

Drives: 2014 Z28 camaro
I would start with sub frame and radius arm bushing inserts these will take care of the foundation of your car then mod away.We would recomend a Pedders street z kit ,Pedders sway bar kit and a good alignment to start with.
Bruce@raymondsperformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:00 PM   #5
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce@raymondsperformance View Post
I would start with sub frame and radius arm bushing inserts these will take care of the foundation of your car then mod away.We would recomend a Pedders street z kit ,Pedders sway bar kit and a good alignment to start with.

Go with Pedders Street Z kit first and then I would convert the rear over to the Pedders ZL1 bar using the new lower control arms and drop links. Then either use a 1LE front bar or Pedders front bar. Of course a good alignment is needed as well.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:38 PM   #6
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexman1349 View Post
Looking to tighten up my 2010 2SS/RS (LS3) a little bit to help with handling these fun Colorado mountain roads. It's my daily driver, but I also like to have fun with it on the weekends or during the commute (no racing, just aggressive mtn driving). It's basically stock, so I'd like to fix that. I don't want to lower the car because I need to get over the curb to get into the garage, and I just don't like the look of a lowered Camaro (nothing against those that do, it's just not my cup of tea).

That being said, I'd like to tighten things up a bit without completely replacing everything or trading it in on a 1LE. So far I'm looking at sway bars and possibly a front strut tower brace, but not sure which ones or what else to look at (trailing arms?). If a "decent" set-up is $500, but an awesome one is only a couple hundred more, I would lean towards the awesome one, but still keeping a comfortable drive since it's my daily.

I've seen some great reviews on the Eibach sway bars, so I might just go with those to start. But when it comes to tower braces, there are just so many different ones out there (brands, 2pt vs 4pt, sizes, etc) I have no idea what would work best (or if it's really necessary).

What would be your suggestions (parts, brands, etc)?

If you guys can at least point me towards the right threads (if they're out there), it would be helpful. Thx.
You don't really need to spend a whole load of money to make these cars a whole lot more fun to drive! Our first part suggestion would be taking a look at the sway bars on the car. Our sport sways designed for the 2010 have been a great upgrade for several years on these cars. If you're spending most of your time on the Colorado back roads these are a great first mod, that's inexpensive to buy and doesn't require an alignment afterwards!

PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 03:29 PM   #7
Dexman1349
2010 2SS/RS M6

Quote:
What's the difference between the Street 1 and Street Z packages? They seem to have the same items.
Old 10-20-2012, 04:27 PM   #8
dcplus14

Drives: '12 Camaro 2SS/RS/Hurst
Street 1 comes with EP 6578 and EP 1200.
Street Z comes with EP 6579 and EP 1200.

6578:
"Replacing the hydraulically damped OEM radius rod bushings will help with steering and pedal feel. While the NVH properties are excellent, they are too soft for performance driving in our opinion. Pedders offers three solutions for this. The first option is a direct replacement street-friendly urethane insert for the OEM rubber bit. The firmer urethane insert removes some of the compliance in the bush improving brake pedal and steering feel. Using an EP6578 is as simple as removing two bolts, removing the soft OEM rubber insert, installing the Pedders urethane and bolting it back together. You may wonder if such a small part can make a difference in such a large automobile. You will be pleasantly surprised on their first test drive."

6579:
"EP6579 full face Camaro Front Extreme Radius Rod Bush Insert replacing the soft OEM rubber insert with a very high durometer piece. The combination of bonded rubber ferrule steel jacketed bush with a full face high durometer urethane insert is outstanding. This solution is extremely firm and may lead to premature wear in the tie rod ends or the steering rack. This is the solution we have installed on the Pedders USA Camaro because we prefer the extra control. This is a hardcore option for the most demanding driver."
[AAC DRL LED's, AAC LED's for trunk, cabin, license plate, CAI Intake, RX Catch Can, Skip shift eliminator, Pedders Sub-Frame Inserts, Pedders Radius Rod Inserts, Pedders Rack & Pinion Bushing, 1LE front and rear sway bars]
dcplus14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 06:51 PM   #9
Rob@WretchedMS

Drives: His Wife Crazy
Quote:
+1
Listen to Bruce, he know's what he's talking about.
Rob@WretchedMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 03:39 PM   #10
Fast6.3

Drives: 2016 2SS coupe 2015 3LT Stingray
I got the pedders street 1 kit and the pfadt zl1 spec bars. I tell you its night and day. the car plants itself on take off the steering is crisp and you take turns it fells like its on rails. I got my parts from jdp. They gave me a killer price and some great advice. There was very little price diference from the sportbars to the zl1 bars.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:26 AM   #11
Dexman1349
2010 2SS/RS M6

For a car that's 2+ years old and has 24k miles, would I be better off getting the inserts or spending a little more $ and replacing the bushings altogether?
Old 10-22-2012, 10:55 AM   #12
Dexman1349
2010 2SS/RS M6

What about something like this:
http://www.phastekperformance.com/20...age-hpp019.htm

Has the sway bars and bushing kits (BMR) that seem to be in line with what's recommended. I would probably sell the lowering springs.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:21 PM   #13
Rob@WretchedMS

Drives: His Wife Crazy
Quote:
For a car that's 2+ years old and has 24k miles, would I be better off getting the inserts or spending a little more $ and replacing the bushings altogether?
The Pedders inserts work very well, and the ease of installation is much easier than full bushings.

The high quality urethane that Pedders uses in their bushings exceeds many of it's competitors, it gives you the control as well as the longevity without noises or looseness that can occur in some of the lower priced options that are available.

Pedders uses the highest quality materials in it's bushings, springs, and sway bars.

The fastest Camaros in the country are running Pedders, and at the same time the parts are designed to be driven daily, without the negative effects that has been the norm in the industry for years.

Every Pedders part is designed to be installed on a car that is driven everyday, regardless of weather, and driving style.

If i can be of any assistance let me know.
Bruce can also answer any questions that you have.
Rob@WretchedMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:45 PM   #14
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Quote:
What about something like this:
http://www.phastekperformance.com/20...age-hpp019.htm

Has the sway bars and bushing kits (BMR) that seem to be in line with what's recommended. I would probably sell the lowering springs.
Personally, I wouldn't use the BMR style inserts. I had the Energy Suspension (which are the same style as BMR) for about 2 weeks and took them out. Pedders is a little more money but way better IMO.

Not many people have had exerience with both like I have. Spend the extra money and get Pedders. You won't be sorry.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...hlight=pedders
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote