Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2017, 09:31 PM   #15
JUSTIFIED
 
JUSTIFIED's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 black Z/28
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcandiloro View Post
So I bought the Z/28 because of its rarity and uniqueness. I have no plans to track it. I have two jobs, one I work from home and the other I drive about 45 minutes to so the car is my pseudo DD, though it's really only two days a week that I'm driving that far. I had read about how terrible this thing is as a DD and it gave me pause but I still bought it. Maybe it's because I expected it to be so bad, which prepared me for this horrible street car......but it's not that bad. The suspension is stiff even on Tour mode, it's exhaust note is aggressive and of course it doesn't really have nice amenities in the cockpit like other cars, but it's perfectly acceptable to me. I'm having the tires changed to put street tires on. The awesomeness of the car overrides any limitations it has as a street car, and again, I don't think it's really that bad. I do have to point out that I might be unique in the sense that I don't really like all the fancy toys that come with new cars. I like simplicity, which really makes me like the rawness of the Z/28. For example, I LOVE that the seats are manual front to back. I HATE electric seats. So easy to get in and out of with manual seats. Again, just me.
+1 and, while I do understand that it's not an ideal street car for many, for some it hits the sweet spot! Btw, unlike a ZL1, the suspension dynamics are not controlled via the Tour or Sport modes nor by the PTM modes. PTM modes only affect stability & traction control and steering effort. Tour and Sport may affect the traction control.... can't recall and, unless it's really cold or rainy, I am almost always in mode 5. You can read more here https://www.chevrolet.com/content/da...PREP_Final.pdf
__________________

Last edited by JUSTIFIED; 03-16-2017 at 09:42 PM.
JUSTIFIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 06:22 PM   #16
68camaroz28
 
68camaroz28's Avatar
 
Drives: 68 Z28, 69 Z28, 2015 Z28
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: York, PA
Posts: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyT View Post
Thanks everyone, we shall see if they were honest about the under 40 price, fingers crossed.

That link was helpful as well
I hope that was not a figure with your trade-in! Cannot imagine but under 40 seems like a real bargain before any real bargaining. Good luck and its a great car.
__________________
68, 69 & 2015 Z/28's
68 Z/28 Restoration Thread on Team Camaro
http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584
68camaroz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 08:39 PM   #17
Crushinator
 
Crushinator's Avatar
 
Drives: '15 Z/28 #783
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: PA
Posts: 356
It amazes me that there are several low mileage '14's and '15's in the 40's. Most are upper 40's, but there are some in the lower 40's. What a car for under $50,000. I know I'd never, ever consider selling mine that low. But if you can find one in the 30's? My God, buy it and don't even think about it.
__________________
2015 Z/28
A/C and audio
Crushinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 05:31 PM   #18
RandyT
 
RandyT's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 1 SS/RS Camaro
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Boulder,Co
Posts: 253
No that was with no trade in but as I expected, they are saying there is another buyer in play.

So we shall see
RandyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 07:27 PM   #19
Kanine
 
Kanine's Avatar
 
Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Hyper Blue
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Shreveport, La
Posts: 21
If you plan on keeping a Z28 for 20+ yrs it will be worth a little more than the ZL1 at that point. The Z28 was $75K new and now you can get one for a little over $40K. Not too far off from a 2012 ZL1.... So much for depreciation arguments, however I think Z28 and ZL1 will hold around $35-40K and go up later in yrs. I have a 2017 ZL1, which I recommend is the best of both worlds. Track, straight line and everyday street use and don't believe the hype you don't see them everyday. You won't be like everyone else in either car. Both are bad ass! LT5 Z28 is coming... (I'd still hold on to my current Z28) wait and see, lol. I said the same when I traded my 13 ZL1.
Kanine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 09:10 AM   #20
G6Flyer
 
G6Flyer's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 Z/28 #371
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: KCMO
Posts: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanine View Post
If you plan on keeping a Z28 for 20+ yrs it will be worth a little more than the ZL1 at that point. The Z28 was $75K new and now you can get one for a little over $40K. Not too far off from a 2012 ZL1.... So much for depreciation arguments, however I think Z28 and ZL1 will hold around $35-40K and go up later in yrs. I have a 2017 ZL1, which I recommend is the best of both worlds. Track, straight line and everyday street use and don't believe the hype you don't see them everyday. You won't be like everyone else in either car. Both are bad ass! LT5 Z28 is coming... (I'd still hold on to my current Z28) wait and see, lol. I said the same when I traded my 13 ZL1.


I would guess very few people paid $75,000 for a Z/28. I think most that contribute here paid in the $55-65K range (same price as the Gen 5 ZL1). The average price for a Z/28 seems to be in the mid $40Ks right now - about $10K higher than a ZL1.

The original poster was asking about a Gen 5 Z/28 vs a Gen 6 ZL1. The point about depreciation was that the Z/28 is close to the bottom of its depreciation curve; a 2017 ZL1 is at the top.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
G6Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 06:44 PM   #21
Kanine
 
Kanine's Avatar
 
Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Hyper Blue
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Shreveport, La
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Flyer View Post
I would guess very few people paid $75,000 for a Z/28. I think most that contribute here paid in the $55-65K range (same price as the Gen 5 ZL1). The average price for a Z/28 seems to be in the mid $40Ks right now - about $10K higher than a ZL1.

The original poster was asking about a Gen 5 Z/28 vs a Gen 6 ZL1. The point about depreciation was that the Z/28 is close to the bottom of its depreciation curve; a 2017 ZL1 is at the top.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Huh... the 2017 ZL1 just came out... you may find one used one, so how do you know? The one I did find is selling for $62K used.... $5K less than my new one. You do a lot of guessing, how do you know how much people on avg paid for there Z28. They were around $70K new and dealers had problems selling so they dropped them to $55K while still new. Thats the depreciation I am referring to. And the avg price for a used ZL1 is between $38-45K from 2012-2015 model ranges. Thats a $5-7K difference if any from a used one year model run Z28.... Not bad for a 2012 and it will have over 20K miles if you get one for $38K which to enthusiast is considered high. A 2015 ZL1 is mid $40's too...... I do agree later on the Z28 will be worth more than a ZL1 if you keep one that long. I like both cars, Its been a great couple of years to own a chevy!
Kanine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:55 AM   #22
G6Flyer
 
G6Flyer's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 Z/28 #371
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: KCMO
Posts: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanine View Post
Huh... the 2017 ZL1 just came out... you may find one used one, so how do you know? The one I did find is selling for $62K used.... $5K less than my new one. You do a lot of guessing, how do you know how much people on avg paid for there Z28. They were around $70K new and dealers had problems selling so they dropped them to $55K while still new. Thats the depreciation I am referring to. And the avg price for a used ZL1 is between $38-45K from 2012-2015 model ranges. Thats a $5-7K difference if any from a used one year model run Z28.... Not bad for a 2012 and it will have over 20K miles if you get one for $38K which to enthusiast is considered high. A 2015 ZL1 is mid $40's too...... I do agree later on the Z28 will be worth more than a ZL1 if you keep one that long. I like both cars, Its been a great couple of years to own a chevy!


I know because it is not a limited production vehicle and will not be the only product in the world that is not subject to the laws of supply and demand...

My $55,000-65,000 new-price-paid estimate on the Z/28 is based on reading this forum for the past couple years. A lot of people have posted what they paid for their cars and almost all were in that range, with a considerable number in the low $50s (new) recently. I'm sure people paid in the $70Ks (or higher) when the car first came out, but by Dec 2014 my dealer had a 2015 (the one I bought 6-months later) tagged at 20% off MSRP.

The point from my original post is that a new ZL1 has a much greater downward potential than the OP's alleged sub-$40,000 Z/28. Surely you don't disagree with that?!

Also, the Z/28 wasn't a one-year model run. Might be time to brush up on your Camaro trivia...




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
G6Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 10:52 AM   #23
The_Raging_Bull
Raging Bull Reborn
 
The_Raging_Bull's Avatar
 
Drives: '09 CGM Z06 3LZ & '15 Red-Hot Z/28
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Broken Arrow OK
Posts: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Flyer View Post
I know because it is not a limited production vehicle and will not be the only product in the world that is not subject to the laws of supply and demand...

My $55,000-65,000 new-price-paid estimate on the Z/28 is based on reading this forum for the past couple years. A lot of people have posted what they paid for their cars and almost all were in that range, with a considerable number in the low $50s (new) recently. I'm sure people paid in the $70Ks (or higher) when the car first came out, but by Dec 2014 my dealer had a 2015 (the one I bought 6-months later) tagged at 20% off MSRP.

The point from my original post is that a new ZL1 has a much greater downward potential than the OP's alleged sub-$40,000 Z/28. Surely you don't disagree with that?!

Also, the Z/28 wasn't a one-year model run. Might be time to brush up on your Camaro trivia...
__________________

Toy 1 '15 Z/28 M6 Red Hot w/AC and Radio S/N 0631
Toy 2 '09 Z06 M6 Cyber-Grey Metallic 3LZ
My DD: '13 Ford Focus ST old DD:'92 3000GT > going away Her DD: '14 F150 Ecoboost 3.5
The_Raging_Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 06:41 PM   #24
Kanine
 
Kanine's Avatar
 
Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Hyper Blue
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Shreveport, La
Posts: 21
Oh yeah, I forgot it was made in 2014, I looked them up and they sell in the lower $40K range like the 2014 Camaro ZL1 as well...... Not limited!? LMAO you are to funny. Less than 1000 ZL1s will be made in 2017, lmao! What is limited to you?! Hell they made 2K certain Rolls Royces and Lambos... And each year they make more and they all look the same! Look man, each year the Camaro ZL1 and Z28 where made they both made the Hagerty future collectible list. And I agreed with you that dealers sold the $75K car with discount for $55K because of slow sales.... Thanks for proving my point. The OP asked "which one". There are pros and cons to both. The ZL1 is the better all around vehicle stat wise. Here is some "fake news" for you, like I said they are both bad ass! LOL

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-vid...gerty-hot-list

http://www.thedetroitbureau.com/2015...-cars-of-2015/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jimgorz.../#380f059f870f
Kanine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 07:00 PM   #25
ericmstepp
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro Z/28
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Ashland KY
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanine View Post
Oh yeah, I forgot it was made in 2014, I looked them up and they sell in the lower $40K range like the 2014 Camaro ZL1 as well...... Not limited!? LMAO you are to funny. Less than 1000 ZL1s will be made in 2017, lmao! What is limited to you?! Hell they made 2K certain Rolls Royces and Lambos... And each year they make more and they all look the same! Look man, each year the Camaro ZL1 and Z28 where made they both made the Hagerty future collectible list. And I agreed with you that dealers sold the $75K car with discount for $55K because of slow sales.... Thanks for proving my point. The OP asked "which one". There are pros and cons to both. The ZL1 is the better all around vehicle stat wise. Here is some "fake news" for you, like I said they are both bad ass! LOL

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-vid...gerty-hot-list

http://www.thedetroitbureau.com/2015...-cars-of-2015/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jimgorz.../#380f059f870f
lol, this guy. z/28s have two model years, 2014-15.

Also the other guy is saying that the z/28 has already depreciated so it won't be as much of hit to the bank account to buy it. ZL1s haven't been out long enough to depreciate yet, so it will hurt more money wise to buy it. Also they will make a whole lot more ZL1s then z/28s when everything is said and done.
ericmstepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 07:03 PM   #26
G6Flyer
 
G6Flyer's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 Z/28 #371
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: KCMO
Posts: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericmstepp View Post
lol, this guy. z/28s have two model years, 2014-15.



Also the other guy is saying that the z/28 has already depreciated so it won't be as much of hit to the bank account to buy it. ZL1s haven't been out long enough to depreciate yet, so it will hurt more money wise to buy it. Also they will make a whole lot more ZL1s then z/28s when everything is said and done.

I'm glad somebody has reading comprehension skills. Those are exactly, 100% the points I was making.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
G6Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 07:16 PM   #27
G6Flyer
 
G6Flyer's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 Z/28 #371
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: KCMO
Posts: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanine View Post
Oh yeah, I forgot it was made in 2014, I looked them up and they sell in the lower $40K range like the 2014 Camaro ZL1 as well...... Not limited!? LMAO you are to funny. Less than 1000 ZL1s will be made in 2017, lmao! What is limited to you?! Hell they made 2K certain Rolls Royces and Lambos... And each year they make more and they all look the same! Look man, each year the Camaro ZL1 and Z28 where made they both made the Hagerty future collectible list. And I agreed with you that dealers sold the $75K car with discount for $55K because of slow sales.... Thanks for proving my point. The OP asked "which one". There are pros and cons to both. The ZL1 is the better all around vehicle stat wise. Here is some "fake news" for you, like I said they are both bad ass! LOL

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-vid...gerty-hot-list

http://www.thedetroitbureau.com/2015...-cars-of-2015/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jimgorz.../#380f059f870f


The ZL1 is not limited... there is no maximum production number for this year or any year. Maybe this year will be lower because of a short production cycle, but otherwise not "limited production". They will crank out as many as they can over the rest of the Gen 6 production cycle.

A dealer selling a new car for a reduced price is not depreciation - at least on the consumer side. It is a market adjustment (just like when they jack up the price of a new car due to high demand).

Consumer depreciation happens after someone buys a car and the price decreases. That is what I am talking about and the Z/28 is at or near the bottom of the depreciation curve. Certainly much closer to the bottom than a new car. Can we at least agree on that?

You're arguing about everything except the main point of my post and you're coming across as very troll-ish...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
G6Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 07:42 PM   #28
JUSTIFIED
 
JUSTIFIED's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 black Z/28
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanine View Post
Oh yeah, I forgot it was made in 2014, I looked them up and they sell in the lower $40K range like the 2014 Camaro ZL1 as well...... Not limited!? LMAO you are to funny. Less than 1000 ZL1s will be made in 2017, lmao! What is limited to you?! Hell they made 2K certain Rolls Royces and Lambos... And each year they make more and they all look the same! Look man, each year the Camaro ZL1 and Z28 where made they both made the Hagerty future collectible list. And I agreed with you that dealers sold the $75K car with discount for $55K because of slow sales.... Thanks for proving my point. The OP asked "which one". There are pros and cons to both. The ZL1 is the better all around vehicle stat wise. Here is some "fake news" for you, like I said they are both bad ass! LOL

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-vid...gerty-hot-list

http://www.thedetroitbureau.com/2015...-cars-of-2015/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jimgorz.../#380f059f870f
We welcome all points of view, but please bear in mind... this a gen 5 Z/28 forum and be respectful. Too many LMAOs and LOLs come off as the opposite.

ZL1 is certainly bad ass, but the production volumes are much higher than a Z/28. Having said that, I've only seen 2-3 gen 5 versions on the streets here in the Dallas area. I had a gen 5 and it was great. Can only imagine the gen 6 version. - The 1LE version will be better stat wise than the non 1LE version or the Z/28. However, the Z/28 can't and won't be replicated. It's one of a kind.
__________________
JUSTIFIED is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.