Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 10-21-2012, 09:29 PM   #43
Renegade
Banned

Drives: Camaro SS Edition
Send a message via AIM to Renegade Send a message via MSN to Renegade Send a message via Yahoo to Renegade Send a message via Skype™ to Renegade
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyers View Post
If you can shift a motorcycle, you understand the theory. Just a bit different controls, but the same basics apply. Get the manual!
Manual all day.
Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:06 PM   #44
autoguy

Drives: 10 SS,11 SS Pace, 13 ZL1 IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey8 View Post
thank you for the answers. Im a fast learner and i wont think ill have to much of a problem once I get driving it for a couple of days. Also, whats the whole 1-4 shift ive been hearing about. As in you have to shift from 1 to 4 at times for some reason. i read it in the manual. One thing the ZL1 at the dealership has is the polished aluminum wheels i want the black ones! they have a convertible with the black wheels and i asked the sales if they could switch them for me. He said no but i feel like when its time to sign on the car hopefully they can do something. Im really leaning towards the manual now!
If you negotiate a deal with them, make them this offer, and explain it this way. (If you are willing to do so)

Once you negotiate the price of the car, tell them the final thing they need to do is swap the wheels. Since the Polished wheels on the car you want to buy are a $470.00 option, tell them you will trade the wheels, but they pay for the labor to swap them and reprogram the TPMS. (Which should be no more than an hour since they will swap tires too.) If they try to charge you anything, just tell them you are giving them a $470 option for free and they can add that to the price of the other car with a window sticker addendum. It is $470 in FREE Money for them when they sell the pother car!!
autoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:21 AM   #45
hairtrigger

Drives: 69 Chevelle SS396 2013 ZL1
Build sheet and the original wheels are gone. Think about it.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:41 AM   #46
Joey8

Drives: 2008 Trailblazer SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by autoguy View Post
If you negotiate a deal with them, make them this offer, and explain it this way. (If you are willing to do so)

Once you negotiate the price of the car, tell them the final thing they need to do is swap the wheels. Since the Polished wheels on the car you want to buy are a $470.00 option, tell them you will trade the wheels, but they pay for the labor to swap them and reprogram the TPMS. (Which should be no more than an hour since they will swap tires too.) If they try to charge you anything, just tell them you are giving them a $470 option for free and they can add that to the price of the other car with a window sticker addendum. It is $470 in FREE Money for them when they sell the pother car!!
thats exactly what i was thinking...ill be willing to give them the 470 for the polished wheels even though im not getting them and therefore then can make ANOTHER 470 when they sell the vert they have. How much do you think the labor should be to swap out the wheels and program the TPMS?
Joey8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:50 AM   #47
Jeff65SS

Drives: 1965 Chevelle Malibu SS
Quote:
thats exactly what i was thinking...ill be willing to give them the 470 for the polished wheels even though im not getting them and therefore then can make ANOTHER 470 when they sell the vert they have. How much do you think the labor should be to swap out the wheels and program the TPMS?
You can always do like I did, and have the dealer include powder coating of the 5-spokes as part of the deal.

Jeff65SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:03 PM   #48
Joey8

ive been looking around the forum and notice some people powdercoat the polished wheels and those look great! how much did that run you if you dont mind me asking?
Old 10-22-2012, 12:24 PM   #49
ZL1Bullet

Drives: ZL1
Quote:
Yeah pretty much however I just like the idea of shifting gears. The work commute will be all highway so I guess that's a plus. Also, most of my friends can't drive a manual so no one will be driving this beast but me
I guess you'll be the DD for bar night, huh!

ZL1Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:38 PM   #50
JFWJR179

Drives: 2022 Camaro ZL1 Convertible A10
Quote:
Hey guys, long time reader first time post! Anyways like most of you out there the ZL1 definitely caught my eye. That being said im now in the market to get one upon graduation in December 2012 (i no what timing damn winter). I went to my local chevy dealership in northern new jersey (widger chevy) and they had a summit white ZL1 with everything i want nav sunroof illuminated cupholders/footwells, microfiber inserts and a manual! that being said i currently drive an 07 trailblazer SS which i absolutely love with only 40,000 miles on it. The dealer said they would give me around $20,000- $23000 for the SS toward theZL1 which i think is not to bad of a deal. The reason the mileage is so low is because i didn't drive the SS my first two years in college because cars weren't allowed for under classmen. Now my question is i never drove a manual before, however i've been riding dirt bikes since i was seven so i understand the concept. Clutch in put in first raise rpms somewhat and slowly release clutch and off you go. However, is it that easy on the ZL1 meaning on my dirt bike i would shift into first like previously stated and from then on once i got going i would swiftly release the clutch when going into a higher gear without any "bucking" or anything like that. On the ZL1 once you shift into first can you release the clutch slighty faster when shifting into higher gears or should you always release the clutch just as slow as shifting into first. I really dont want to screw up the trans because the car is already expensive enough. Also, what about downshifting any advice on that? Basically my question is should i be scared of a manual in the zl1. Thanks in advance for all the help!
NO - you should not be scared of a 6 speed manual in the ZL1
JFWJR179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:40 PM   #51
Jeff65SS

Drives: 1965 Chevelle Malibu SS
Quote:
ive been looking around the forum and notice some people powdercoat the polished wheels and those look great! how much did that run you if you dont mind me asking?
The dealership paid for it, so i'm not sure exactly what it cost. I believe it is about $100 per wheel.
Jeff65SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:06 PM   #52
Joey8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1Bullet View Post
I guess you'll be the DD for bar night, huh!
ahaha didnt even think of that... ill be DD but most likely my friends will be walking since a hottie will be riding shotgun with the new wheels
Old 10-22-2012, 01:12 PM   #53
littlecammi

Drives: '87 Pontiac Fiero GT
Quote:
They had a summit white ZL1 with everything I want: nav, sunroof, illuminated cupholders, microfiber inserts and a manual!
I thought all new cars come with a manual. I keep mine in the glove compartment.
littlecammi is offline   Reply With Quote